Egyption Rat

Egyption Rat

A Chapter by Saki Kikkio
"

chapter 2

"
     The sun set peacefully of the horizon, Nyatui sat and watched it from the roof of his building. He had grown up in a small village far from the cities that surrounded him now. There they taught him respect and a strong way to live, but here, it was all about being the most powerful and having the most money. He didn't like it, but he had to adapt to be able to help his family back home. At first the rank air had choked him, but he slowly adjusted to the difficult to breath air, but still the stink stuck to his nose.
     His black hair hung around the tops of his deep green eyes. His skin was dark, not as much as his families or friends, but still counted as dark. His slight body helped him move through the sand and city streets. Nyatui glanced down at his watch, it wasn't that late but it was dark outside, he had been sitting on the ledge of the high concrete apartment complex for hours, just thinking about home. He wouldn't turn 18 for a few more hours yet, but he would stay awake until then. His parents had told him they would call to speak him, then in the morning he would be heading off to work, they said he couldn't start until he was eighteen so he had to wait three days so he could.
     He smiled at the memory of the interview with his future boss, the man had started off with basic questions, such as his school and home town, then moved on to more difficult questions, some were complex math problems, some history dates and events, he even asked about sailing and sports. By the end of it the two were laughing and talking like old friends. The last question had been his age, when saying seventeen the man's face visibly deflated and said he had to be eighteen or older, Nyatui had smiled, "Give me three days, then I'll be old enough." The man stood and shook Nyatui's hand, "Well, then I'll be seeing you in three days Nyatui. I hope you enjoy your time with us." Nyatui stood as well smiling, "I'm sure I will Mr.-" With a wave of his hand the man stopped his words, "Just Anan, please." 
     Anan seemed like a good man, Nyatui would enjoy working with him, which reminded him, what was his job anyways? He never asked, it seemed like a bad idea to ask in the morning, instead he stood up and slid down the wall to the fire escape. The walk to the internet cafe was only a few minutes and mostly empty, the dark road was perfect for muggers and cut throats, but Nyatui wasn't worried, he could hold his own in a street fight.
     The cafe was twenty four-seven but only allowed customers to use the computers, so Nyatui bought a coffee and sat at one of the old monitors. First he searched up his boss, Anan Eyad Simo, his results mostly centered around a large trading company in the city, with a sigh Nyatui finished off his drink and booted the computer down. With a swing by the counter to get another coffee he left, it was a few minutes till midnight and his birthday, making his way back to the apartments he took the longer route hoping to settle his thoughts. As he passed a dark alley he felt the wind stir and a scent caught in his throat, it was the smoke from cigarettes being smoked in the alley. He glanced in and saw the three men, boys really, they wore loose clothing, such was the trend, each had a glass bottle to drink out of along with the homemades that burned in their fingers.
     He tried to keep walking but one spotted him and called out, "Hey, you!" Nyatui ignored them and looked forward at the street. The boy could not be so easily brushed off and moved after him, grabbing his shoulder he dragged Nyatui into an alley and pinned him to the brick wall. "I was talking to you." The boy slurred, "You think you're too good for us? I bet you aren't, I bet you're going back to some crap pile of an apartment to have your fun. Why don't you join us, have a drink?" Nyatui smiled politely, "I'm afraid I can not, I have to work in the morning, so I really should be getting home."
     The boy didn't like that answer, the other two moved in closer. "You can hang with us?" "Work? Who?" Nyatui sighed, he was worried that the other two weren't drunk enough to notice him, he could most likely  take out the one, but all three, maybe not. He was completely surrounded with his back against the wall, 
11:58
The numbers hovered in his mind like a promise from a long time ago.
11:59
The enemies stepped closer, armed with the bottles and their own stupidity.
12:00
The breeze shifted and the warm smell of spiced oranges surrounded him like a blanket. The three attackers seemed to slow, or was it him moving faster? Whichever it was, Nyatui moved and twisted, knocking all three away, before darting out of the alley and down the street. After he was sure there was no one chasing him he slowed and noticed he wasn't winded, he had been running full speed for over an hour, how? He glanced at his wrist as he jogged, 1:35. An hour and a half! Impossible, adrenaline was great and all, but it couldn't have lasted this long. 
     Looking around him he came to realize he was on the outskirts of the city, even if he had been running at full speed, it still should have taken him over three hours to get there. Curious about the new found speed and stamina he pumped up the speed and took off down the sidewalk.
 


© 2013 Saki Kikkio


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on May 16, 2013
Last Updated on May 17, 2013
Tags: tiger, world, african, travel


Author

Saki Kikkio
Saki Kikkio

griffin, GA



About
When life gives you lemons, make apple juice. Then watch as the world goes to chaos trying to figure out how you beat their limits more..

Writing
Shadows Shadows

A Poem by Saki Kikkio


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Saki Kikkio