Back in Time

Back in Time

A Story by melbykins
"

This is a fictional story about someone having regrets about the past

"

Back in Time

 

“You have to work overtime again? Why?”

“Baby, the more overtime I do the more money we have; doesn’t that mean anything to you? You can always come visit me while I’m working.” Nate was a firefighter and paramedic, and often got called in to work over, for guys who didn’t show up. She enjoyed visiting him at work, and chewing the fat with his fellow firefighters, but it didn’t compare to having him with her, teaching her to play guitar, drinking beer, and watching bad television.

They’d been together for almost six months, and were pretty happy, except for her insecurity and jealousy. She knew that other women found him attractive, and were always looking at him. It made her crazy and she sometimes fought down the urge to punch the women in their tanned and smug faces. He never responded to any of the women, but it still made her nuts. She was jealous a lot, and knew it frustrated him.

In late September, they went to a festival together. They had a really good time there, even though he drank a lot and she worried that he was checking out all the girls around him. She didn’t really feel attractive around him anymore, and worried that he wasn’t as interested as he used to be. What could she do?

When they were walking around, he turned to her and said: “Maybe I shouldn’t have a girlfriend. I’m too wrapped up in my music and trying to get that going … I can’t give you what you need.”

She was so shocked she didn’t know what to say, and a prickle of fear went down her neck. “I don’t care that you’re involved in your music. I support you, and want to help you. I will be patient.” He nodded vaguely, and they went on with their day.

Later that night, he received an email from an old female friend, and she got very upset with him. They started to argue and out on the balcony at around midnight, they decided to take a break from each other. Both of them cried, and professed their love, even though they were splitting up. She knew that a lot of the reason they were parting ways was because of her jealousy and insecurity; he wanted someone confident and sure of herself. That sure as hell wasn’t her, but it used to be. What happened?

* * *

Eight months later, she is living her life with another man, and is happy. She has often thought of her past love, and wonders what he is doing and with whom. One day she decides to contact him, to talk to him, and explain her feelings. She hears his voice on the phone, and immediately realizes she hasn’t completely gotten over him. She tells him how sorry she is for how she treated him, and made sure he knew that it was her own jealousy and issues that had driven them apart. She tells him she is happy now, but that she misses their friendship and closeness. He says he does too, and tells her it’s ok for what happened. She tells him that she has changed, and has become a different, more confident person. She tells him that she takes back what happened that night, and that she wants to rewrite everything. He tells her that everything is rewritten, and all is forgiven. She realizes that she should have called him a long time ago and gone back in time, to show him how sorry she was. But he understands … and that is the greatest gift. She can move on now, and let him be a part of her past.

 

 

 

© 2009 melbykins


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Life is funny that way. The choices we make decide our future. Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

It was an interesting piece, showed the side of relationships couples tend to hide from friends and family.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
1 Review
Added on July 10, 2009

Author

melbykins
melbykins

Hamilton, OH



About
I am a 32 year old woman who is married with three sons and one daughter. I have been writing most of my life, and find that it is my true passion. I haven't published anything yet, but am hoping to c.. more..

Writing
The Deep The Deep

A Story by melbykins