How are you?  I'm___________.

How are you? I'm___________.

A Story by Melissa Lynn Cox
"

So tired of trying to figure out just what FINE means!

"
Here's my challenge to you, World:  Stop saying "I'm fine."  How boring, unoriginal, and fake is that reply!!!  You know you are tired, excited, bored, struggling, happy, sad, aggravated, too hot, too cold, something other than fine.  The only time you are allowed to say fine is if you have a swagger and are referring to your physical appearance.  That's the only time fine should be used to describe how you feel.  Be real, World!  I bet if the whole world stopped answering how are you with the same answer like a bunch of bored cows, the world would be full of real conversations and a lot more honesty.  Hell, even if it just added more awkward moments, it's better than that meaningless four letter word that causes us to pass like two ships in the night not really noticing one another.  People that ask how you are might actually hear your reply and think about how they really are.  We might start listening to each other.  How radical would that be! 

© 2010 Melissa Lynn Cox


Author's Note

Melissa Lynn Cox
I woke feeling....unusually passionate about not ever saying fine again and thought I would share with you. Am I crazy? Don't worry, I'm fine.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes, Ma'am, I'll try not to say "I'm fine" anymore. Can I go back to "Fair to middl'n?"

Posted 13 Years Ago


What an insight! We are conditioned not to whine, so we get in the habit of denying our true feelings early in life...But oddly, the same parents who taught us not to belabor strangers with a true assessment of our present condition also taught us NOT to LIE!! Yet lie we do, each and every time. I've largely stopped saying fine, offering instead a noncommittal shrug and "Hmm...". They don't really want to know, anyway, it's just one of those long-outmoded vacuuous social niceties. Good job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


And HOW! Fine is a good description for baby's hair, and a late fee on your library books. Doesn't mean a thing in regards to the state of a person's life. Preach on, girl!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

436 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 20, 2010
Last Updated on July 20, 2010
Tags: opinion, challenge, change

Author

Melissa Lynn Cox
Melissa Lynn Cox

NC



About
Born in 1967--you will have to do the math. I can't remember for the life of me how old I am. Mother of three daughters that keep me laughing and guessing. Mother of 2 cats and 2 dogs and one illeg.. more..

Writing