9 Things That Identify American Culture

9 Things That Identify American Culture

A Story by Barbara Aragon

  1. Freedom

Among the principal values in the USA is freedom. Freedom is occasionally known as individualism. Americans are extremely proud of becoming self-reliant, or having the ability to look after themselves, and they are inclined to believe others ought to be self-reliant also. When someone reaches a target, that's typically regarded as the consequence of her or his own hard work. That can be different than in a number of different cultures that are more collective. Collective cultures have a tendency to observe accomplishments as a manifestation of a whole household or neighborhood.



  1. Privacy

Americans appreciate solitude and their own area. While in certain cultures desiring privacy might be regarded as a terrible thing, many Americans prefer to have time and might be personal about particular subjects.


Listed below are a Couple of scenarios about the American significance of solitude:

  • In discussions, many Americans are personal about particular things or wish to chat about them, like their age, just how much money they make their political, sexual and spiritual perspectives. Some people don't enjoy speaking about those subjects in people as they're concerned it's going to cause folks to assert. But when you've questions concerning these issues, you can ask.

  • Many Americans will be delighted to educate you about how Americans see the world.

  • Bedrooms are often considered spaces. Neighbors and friends are amused from the kitchen, dining area or living area.


  1. Directness

Americans tend to be quite straight. This means that they often let you know exactly what they believe and they'll be assertive about what they need. Being assertive is normally regarded as a fantastic thing in us.

  • In certain cultures, it's impolite to decline an invitation -- for instance, if a person asks you for lunch, then you might say, but not go to dinner. Should you say yes to an invitation but don't visit the occasion, the individual may get angry.

  • In conversation, in case an American disagrees with your view, they may let you know. This doesn't imply they don't like you, simply that they might have a different thought.

  • In courses, Americans might challenge their educators' thoughts. In certain cultures, it's impolite to disagree with your instructor.

  • It's never is impolite to request support. If a neighbor or friend asks you in the event that you want anything, they genuinely wish to help. Don't hesitate to state,"If you're going into the shop and you walk from the oranges, then please pick me up a purse, and I will pay you to them." Or, should you will need winter clothing for instance, and you are not certain where to purchase them, it's OK to ask,"have you got some ideas for where I could purchase cheap coats and boots for your own kids?" Many Americans like to help, and also require very little encouragement to become great neighbors and friends.

Generally speaking, it's a good idea to keep in mind that what might seem impolite isn't meant that way. Americans aren't wanting to be rude - they're simply being direct.


  1. Equality

In fact, many people in the USA don't treat all citizens alike, but many Americans feel really strongly about the notion of equality. There are various cases in American history in which all people weren't treated both such as captivity of African American (black) taxpayers ) But Americans prefer to think that the thought that all individuals should have equal chances.

Nowadays an increasing number of people realize the American Dream isn't correct. Lots of men and women working very hard don't have very much cash. Often individuals who come from privileged backgrounds have a simpler time moving upon the earth. Nonetheless, the notion of equality is an increasingly significant part of US culture.


  1. Informality

American culture is often relaxed and casual.

  • Americans can dress casually, like wearing shorts or jeans at school, work, or church. When you first begin work, it's a fantastic idea to dress more formally and to pick your dress based on what the folks around you're wearing.

  • In certain scenarios, however, it's far better to become more formal and also to use last names before you're requested to utilize the first name -- for instance, in a business scenario or in college.


  1. Competition

Americans can be aggressive and frequently work hard to attain their objectives. Most Americans see competition is a fantastic thing.

  • Competition in business is due in substantial part to the economy. America's business model would be to compete for clients and for the lowest deals.

  • Americans will program a lot of actions. Even young kids take part in several activities outside school, like sports, music classes, and volunteering. At times you might feel as if Americans are"racing around" with very little time for relaxing. However, most Americans feel great when they receive a whole lot done.

  • Competition could be understood in college, in the office, and in athletics. As an instance, pupils can work hard to get the best grades. Sometimes contest involves classes, like a football club or a college study group.


  1. Time and efficacy

Americans put a good deal of value in their time. Americans might feel frustrated if they believe something or someone has squandered their time. Many Americans plan their time out with care using daily calendars for both their private lives and their lives. This implies many Americans prefer to utilize their time "economically" - they would like to get the most done in the shortest period of time.

This might differ from what you're utilized to. When creating a business deal, you might spend some time getting to know another person, possibly while drinking coffee or tea. In the USA, this is frequently not true.


Here are some scenarios where You May Want to Know about time:

  • Meetings, particularly for function: You need to attempt and be on time -- likely even 5 minutes early.

  • Tasks with friends: If you're invited to somebody's home for supper, attempt to be on time you could be 5 or 10 minutes, however, if you're much later than that, then you should call and let them know.

  • A fantastic principle is that anytime you're likely to be late, you need to call and allow the person you're meeting to know you'll be late. If you can not call, you need to tell the individual you're accountable for being late once you arrive.

  • At times, you might feel as if somebody is leaving quite fast or will be in a rush to leave. It doesn't mean they don't like you.


  1. Work ethic

Americans can be quite focused on their job. This implies that they believe Americans work a lot. Part of the reason why Americans are work-oriented is since being active and energetic is frequently regarded as a fantastic thing. Individuals also often identify closely with their own jobs. As an instance, when you meet somebody, among the primary questions they may ask you is"What can you really do?"

Men or women working at home care for their household regularly call themselves"home-makers" and deserve admiration for this job as far as every other. When filling out a program of any sort, it's OK to write"home-maker" because of the job for someone who doesn't have a paying job outside the house.


  1. Consumerism

Part of the reason behind this is that lots of Americans value work and competition. Since Americans appreciate contests, they wish to"keep up" with the people around them. This implies, as an instance, if your neighbor got a brand new vehicle, you may want a brand new car too.

Most Americans appreciate work and possess a solid work ethic. Most Americans view material things like TVs or sneakers as a means to show they're effective at work.


Another motive Americans might be object-oriented is since most Americans appreciate newness and innovation. Therefore, even when they have a telephone that works, they might need a new phone since it's new and exciting capabilities. You don't need to feel you have to have a lot of possessions to be admired. You need to feel comfortable living just or some other way you would like, possibly saving more cash for emergencies, retirement, and education instead of spending objects to impress other people.


© 2020 Barbara Aragon


Author's Note

Barbara Aragon
American lifestyles and culture are very distinctive compared to people of other nations. Within this culture essay, the focus will be on highlighting the special values and attributes of contemporary culture and lifestyles as they exist now.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
1 Review
Added on April 27, 2020
Last Updated on April 27, 2020
Tags: American Culture, essay

Author

Barbara Aragon
Barbara Aragon

Central, SC



About
My name is Barbara. I graduated from the California School of Literature and continue my writing career. My writing interests include many topics, including literature, art and science. I am intere.. more..