Just Dolls: Glitz Tornado

Just Dolls: Glitz Tornado

A Story by Meredith

Saturday; 5:01am

            The smell of hairspray and makeup awoke Hailey Benson from her short night of sleep. Her hair curlers her uncomfortable, her face mask was so hard she couldn’t even move her face. No wonder she couldn’t sleep.

            “Get this off of me!” she whined to her mother. She tried yanking the curlers out of her hair before her mom stopped her.

            “Hailey, you know you can not get those out until I am ready to do your hair.” Her mother told her, trying to get the curler secure in her daughter’s hair.

            “Okay, go get your dress from the closet by the door.” Hailey’s mom commanded.

            “No you can get it.” Hailey rudely told her mother. “Hailey, I can take you home if you do not behave. You will not do this pageant.” Her mom reassured her.

 

Saturday; 6:00am

            Hailey sat in the makeup chair in her hotel room, as her mother yanked and pulled on her strawberry blonde hair.

            “Oww mama! That hurts my hair!” Hailey screeched. “Sorry Hailey, but please keep your voice down.” Her mother hopefully tried to calm her daughter down.

            “Mama you can not tell me what to do. Just do my hair so I will not be late for the pageant.” Hailey commanded.

            As her mother applied her many layers of eye shadow, Hailey was silent. “Hailey look up as the ceiling, I have to glue your eyelashes on.” Her mom said, applying glue to the false eyelashes.

            Hailey groaned but did as she was told. “Mama, I want a donut.” Hailey told her mom. “Not right now, we have to keep your teeth clean and preserve that pretty smile.” Her mom said smiling.

            “I said that I want a donut!” Hailey yelled. “And I said not right now.” Hailey’s mom snapped back.

            “If you do not give me a donut…” her mom cut her off before she could finish. “Hailey go put your shoes… now!” Hailey ran over to go put on her shoes.

 

Saturday; 8:20am

            Hailey and her mom walked down the vacant halls of the hotel. “Mama will you get me a donut now?” Hailey asked.

            “We are going to be late for the pageant if we stop now. If we are late the judges will take points off of your score and you will not win.” Her informed her.

            Hailey was silent until she got downstairs. “That girl looks better than me! Now I am not going to win!” Hailey cried to her mother. “Hailey you need to calm down. Your hair is getting messed up, and your makeup is going to run if you cry.” Her mother yelled.

            From inside the ballroom the voice on the speaker announced, “Now please welcome the three and four year old age division.”

            Hailey ran at full speed to the stage. She made it just in time for her turn. “Now please welcome number twenty- seven, Hailey!” the announcer announced.

            Hailey confidently walked onto the stage. Her smile was stunning; her coral glitz dress sparkled under the stage lights. “ Thank you number twenty- seven Miss Hailey.”

            “That was terrific Hailey!” her mother yelled and picked her up into a tight hug. “I know” Hailey smiled.

            “Hailey we need to go back to the room to go get you ready for talent.” Her mom said to her beautiful daughter.

            Hailey happily skipped towards the elevator and pressed the six button. “Can I get a donut now?” Hailey asked. 

            “After the pageant!” her mom who was getting annoyed replied. “Fine!” Hailey retorted to her mother’s reply.

            Hailey took out the key card and slid it into the lock on the door. When the door opened, the smells of hairspray hit her and her mother. “Mama you need to spray some air freshener in here!” Hailey laughed.

            “Okay silly goose, go get your talent costume on and put your glitz dress on the bed.” Her mother instructed her.

            After Hailey put on her leotard and skirt for her gymnastics routine, her mother re- did her hair and makeup.

            Hailey ran and looked in the mirror and said, “I look B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!” “Come on Hailey, we can not be late!” Her mother called to her.

 

Saturday; 10:30am

            When Hailey made it downstairs, the announcer was announcing her age division so Hailey quickly walked in. She waited for her turn forever! Then finally, “Now welcome Miss Hailey number twenty- seven, with her gymnastics routine.”

            The second Hailey’s foot touched the stage she smiled and did her routine perfectly.

            “Thank you Miss Hailey!” the announcer dismissed her from the stage. As Hailey ran off she felt so proud of herself.

            “Amazing! The crowd and the judges love you!” Hailey’s mom smiled. “I am going to win the big prize!” Hailey yelled.

            “Ok Hailey let’s go get your crowning outfit on.” Her mom instructed “Yay! It is almost crowning time!” Hailey celebrated.

 

Saturday; 12:00pm

            “Look at all the crowns! I am so nervous!” Hailey said as she and her mom made their way to the ballroom.

            “Go sit down at the front Hailey, and remember to go up only when it is your turn.” “Ok Mama.” Hailey said as she ran to the front.

            “Welcome back ladies! It is time to crown the three to four year old age division. Please come on up.” Hailey ran to the stage and was greeted by a prize bag in front of her.

            “Ok Most Beautiful goes to number twenty Miss Karen.” Hailey rolled her eyes. “Most Beautiful Hair, Eyes, Face and Personality goes to number twenty seven Miss Hailey!” they handed Hailey her four trophies and dismissed the girls from the stage.

            “Look Mama, I got four trophies! That is a lot. When do I get to go back onto the stage?” Hailey couldn’t stop talking. “Whenever they give the awards to the other age divisions.” Her mom said.

           

Saturday 12:45pm

            “Now it is finally the time to announce the supreme winners of today!” Hailey smiled at her mom.

            “Supreme talent goes to number ten Miss Amanda.” Amanda stood on stage with a huge crown and tons of money.

            “Mama my crown is going to be bigger than that.” Her mom shushed her. Hailey was bouncing up and down.

            “And the Mini and Grand supreme winners of the Glitz Tornado pageant are number twenty seven Miss Hailey with Mini supreme and number thirty Miss Helen! Thank you girls!” Hailey was given a big crown and trophy and five hundred dollars.

            Hailey ran of the stage crying. “I wanted Grand supreme! Helen beat me.” Hailey was crying in her mom’s arms until, “Do you want a donut?” Hailey stopped crying and ran towards the concession stand happy as ever.

            Her mother followed, lugging all of Hailey’s winnings behind her. “Hailey wait for me!” Her mother yelled.

 

The End

            

© 2011 Meredith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting but sad. I've wondered why mothers put their kids through these things. What life lessons are being learned? Are they stealing away the kids childhood? Perhaps I'm being too judgmental. This piece does cause one to think though. Thanks.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was really interesting. I liked it. Great job! Keep writing

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 6, 2011
Last Updated on July 6, 2011

Author

Meredith
Meredith

Houston, TX



About
Tell Me About Yourself SurveyNameMeredithBirthday1/29BirthplaceTexasCurrent LocationTexasEye ColorBrownHair ColorBrownHeight5'7 or 5'8Right Handed or Left HandedLeft Your Heritageumm... ??????The Shoe.. more..

Writing
Vivid Dream Vivid Dream

A Book by Meredith