Jeramy

Jeramy

A Chapter by meredith29

JERAMY

Fear and violence wrapped around Jeremy like soft wings as he stepped into the alleyway.  A chill that had nothing to do with the weather hung in the air. The alleyway was dark, yet he saw the figure slumped against the wall with starling clarity. Blood still leaked slowly from the wound in his chest, dripping onto the wet concrete.

 

Jeremy placed his hands on the boy’s cheeks and gazed sadly into his sightless eyes. He trembled slightly as his last moment’s raced through his mind. It was a familiar scene, one he’d witnessed too many times over countless years. The Angel of Death sighed and rose gracefully to his feet. “So young.” He observed sadly, turning his attention to the second body.

 

The  Guardian lay a few feet away. Jeremy brushed cool fingers against his neck. Although a faint pulse beat against his fingertips, his chest was barely moving. He would not outlive his charge for long; Jeremy could feel the life draining from him.

 

Nathaniel.” He whispered, watching intently for a response. “Nathaniel open your eyes.”

 

Nathaniel heard the voice but it sounded distorted and far away as if  the speaker was underwater…or maybe he was under water…. that would account for the icy blackness that surrounded him.

 

“Open your eyes.” The voice repeated.

 

Nathaniel’s eyelids fluttered and opened slightly. He turned his head toward Jeremy, the movement drawing a gasp of agony.

 

“Thomas…. Where’s Thomas?”

 

“Don’t worry about that now. Later when you’re stronger…”

 

“No please, tell me now.” He struggled to sit up, the effort sending waves of pain through his body. Jeremy placed a retraining hand on his shoulder and pushed him back .

 

“You know.” He said quietly. “I wouldn’t be here otherwise.”

 

Nathaniel closed his eyes again, the realisation washing over him. His limbs began to tremble and bile rose in his throat.  Dead. Thomas was dead. He’d failed in his most sacred duty. His only consolation was that he would die too.

 

His eyes suddenly flew open and he clutched at the Angel’s arm, drawing him closer.

 

“You have to warn them…they’re…danger…everyone.”

 

He coughed and bloody froth gathered on his lips. Jeremy tried to pull away, but was held in place by Nathaniel’s burning gaze. “Promise me.”

 

Jeremy cursed under his breath and ran a hand through his dreadlocked hair. He was becoming too involved, the living weren’t his responsibility. In all the years of guiding souls to the Afterlife he’d never interfered, never questioned whether it was wrong or right. He glanced back at Thomas. Even in death he looked young, too young to have had his life ended in such a violent way. The angel turned back to the Guardian drowning in his own blood, and a wave of pity overtook him. He suddenly knew he couldn’t let their deaths be for nothing.

 

I’m getting sentimental in my old age. He thought. “I’ll tell them” He said, clasping his fingers around the boy’s cold hand. “I promise.”

 

Nathaniel smiled and fell back onto the concrete, sightless eyes gazing up at the sky.

 

 



© 2010 meredith29


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I must say I loved how (intentional or not) you allowed the reader to create an image of Jeremy by not using detail obvious detail of the character and then added things like the fact that he is the Angel of Death and the dreadlock hair. Not alot of people are able to do that, and not alot are willing to now and days, so it's nice to find someone who can. I also liked how you tied the prolouge to this chapter through the characters. It really makes a difference in the way some people view your work. Great job, I liked it quite a bit.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great job!
Wish I could write like that.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 12, 2010
Last Updated on August 12, 2010


Author

meredith29
meredith29

United Kingdom



About
I am 29 years old and I live in a small village in Wales. I love writing (oviously) and would like to be able to do it full time one day more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by meredith29


The Council The Council

A Chapter by meredith29