Chapter 1 - The Ruin of Auld Hay Hill

Chapter 1 - The Ruin of Auld Hay Hill

A Chapter by Kirsty Anne

“Aye, the ruin on auld hay hill…well, I dinnae ken if you want tae know, me bairn…”
“Please, papa, tell me the story again…”

 

He sighed, inhaling deeply through his nose and running his tongue over the scar on his lip.  His grand-daughter sat pleadingly at his feet, kneeling up and staring intently, desperate for the knowledge he held.  He stared into those little eyes.  He hated sugar-coating the story of Hay Hill…but she was just a child.  She loved to climb the ruins, pretend it was her castle…he didn’t want to take that innocence away.  So, he ran his old, tough hands through the short grey hairs on his head and forced the corners of his mouth to rise.  “Awright, m’dear.

“Many a year ago…ach, a good twenty years before you were born…there was a palace there.  Six stories high, a hundred rooms on each floor.  The government, y’know…”  His voice lowered to a choked whisper.  “…the b******s that took yer milk oot a’ yer schools…”  He winked, and she giggled.  “Aye, the government noticed that some o’ the bairns in the schools were nae quite right in the heed.  They were destined to be…different.  So the government built them a place where they could all live together.”
“But…what was wrong with where they lived before?”

“Their friends were cruel, they were.  They didnae understand why they were special.  And what they didnae understand, they made fun of.”
“That’s not nice…”
“I ken, m’dear.   So, they moved them all into the big palace.  Oh, they had an awfie gid time there, they did.  Banquets every night, sleeping in ‘til noon…they loved it all.  But aye, the government wanted tae send them off tae a better place.  It was right oot in the countryside, where they could live wi’ the sheep and the cows…so they decided tae rebuilt the palace there.  They started tae take down the old one, but they decided to leave it for the wee bairns tae play on.”
“Like me?”
“Aye, like you, m’dear.”

“So are the special people still there?”
“Aye, I think they are.”
“Can we visit them?”
“Ach, I wish me could, m’dear.  But it’s an awfie long drive, and me back’s nae as good as it used tae be.  Maybe someday you’ll be old enough yerself to drive out and say hello.”
“Really?”
“Aye, of course.   Now, it’s past your bedtime.  Come on, I gave you yer story, off tae bed…”
“Aww…”
“Katie, you know the rules.  I promised mummy I’d look after you.  Now off you pop, nighty night.”
With a quick pat on the head, Katie skipped off to her room, with the thoughts of Hay Hill still in her mind.

 

Once he heard the door slam, he sank back into his old patterned armchair and put his head in his hands.  Hay Hill…of all the things he could have told her, why Hay Hill?  There were ruins of real castles, what…less than a mile away?  Why did he think it would be a good idea to make up some sugar-coated crap about Hay Hill?


*End of chapter 1*



© 2014 Kirsty Anne


Author's Note

Kirsty Anne
Thoughts? Please leave a review :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Added on October 8, 2014
Last Updated on October 12, 2014


Author

Kirsty Anne
Kirsty Anne

United Kingdom



About
Me - 14, Scottish, 5 ft 3, nose pierced, atheist, dancer, singer, violinist, guitarist, tattoo & piercing enthusiast. Games - TLoU, FNaF, Slender, Bioshock series, AC, etc. Music - Paramore, Ev.. more..

Writing
Tuesday 8th Tuesday 8th

A Chapter by Kirsty Anne


Wednesday 9th Wednesday 9th

A Chapter by Kirsty Anne


Thursday 10th Thursday 10th

A Chapter by Kirsty Anne