Chapter 3: Reawakening

Chapter 3: Reawakening

A Chapter by Undying Glory
"

As love returns to two broken hearts...

"

Chapter 3: Reawakening


The Soulless blinked as he regained consciousness, as a few rays of light shone into his eyes. He slowly stood up, checking if anything had been damaged. All fine, except for some gashes. The fusion of bone and metal inside him had helped him greatly. He moved his hand. It moved with astonishing speed, but slightly slower than before. Same for his legs. 


He touched his head, feeling blood as it soaked into his palm, and bandaged his forehead. Suddenly, something struck him. How long had it been since he had injected himself with Numb? 3...4...5...He should have been lying lifeless, in a never-ending coma, neither dead nor alive. Yet here he was, standing. And thinking...


He closed his eyes. Like many other times, a recollection suddenly swam to the front of his mind.

The girl and he were in a room, his arms around her, her eyes closed in simple pleasure. She opened her eyes, her deep green eyes sparkling like soulful emeralds. She moaned softly, placing her head on his shoulder.

“I love you, Jason Merrick...”


 “I... am... Jason... Merrick...” he said hesitantly, like a toddler learning to speak. He walked around aimlessly, stalking the streets, submachine gun in hand. Usually, in such emergencies, he should return immediately to Blackdawn. Yet now he didn’t know where to go or what to do, as he looked around him for any sign, any help from above. He turned up his collar and picked up a jacket from a dead human, pulling the hood over his head. Then he turned, and his jaw dropped.


She was standing there. She was! There she was, in her pilot's suit, and despite the distance he could clearly see the bulges that gave away her pistols, Suddenly, he sensed movement near her. She was in serious danger. In a rush, her name came back to him.


“ANNA!” His scream echoed throughout the street.


Anastasia turned, surprised. Did someone just call her? Just then, a hairy hand clapped down on her shoulder. She turned around, seeing a big, burly man, grinning menacingly, and drove her knee into his groin. The man doubled up, just as two of his cronies came right at her. They closed in, and she raised her fists, ready to defend herself at all costs. One of them punched out, connecting with her jaw.


The world spun round crazily, and she spun into a corner and collapsed, groaning softly in pain, one side of her face throbbing. The three men advanced on her, evil intention in their eyes. She stared back defiantly at them, while preparing herself for the worst. 


“ANNA!” The voice shouted again, and a figure descended upon them. Before they could respond, the figure attacked with blinding speed.


The first big, burly man pulled back his fist, as the hooded figure punched him in the throat. Gasping for air, he clutched weakly at his throat, as the figure slammed his foot into his flabby torso, knocking the wind out of him. The other two men moved in, but the figure almost ran circles around them. As one man swung his foot around in a roundhouse kick, the figure countered with a side stomp that folded him in half. The figure used his momentum to fuel a snap kick to the solar plexus of the last guy. 


Within seconds, the three men lay groaning. Anastasia barely had time to shout before the figure picked her up and spirited her away. She murmured in relief when he finally placed her down. She looked up at him, into his shrouded face.


"T...Thanks..." she said hesitantly. "You saved my life. B...But...I don't even know you..."


The figure shrugged. 


"Ah...but I know you..."


The figure pulled back his hood. Anastasia gasped in surprise, and broke out in a radiant grin. Before she knew it, she was embracing him tightly, unwilling to let go.


“Jason...” she murmured, stroking his face. She pressed her face into his chest, her arms locked around him. “I’ve missed you so much...I've waited three years...for you...”


“Me too...” His reply came softly, as he ran his hands through her hair. Her sea-green eyes were just as how he remembered, soulful and mesmerizing.


As the sun dipped below the horizon, they watched the final rays of light fade away. They curled up in a small house for the night, watching a cliff nearby, as the sea crashed and pounded against it. The gentle roar of the sea filled their ears, and Anastasia rested her head on Jason’s shoulder. She smiled, remembering better times, three years ago. This was how life should have been, forever and always...

She reached up, unfolded his collar. She leaned in, ready to kiss him on his neck...for all the missing days...

...and her lips pressed against metal.


In the moonlight, she saw the dull glint of an identification plate welded on his neck, and her mouth went dry in apoplectic horror. 



© 2010 Undying Glory


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

nice

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very good chapter. The detail was very good. I like the flow of the story. Ending was a surprise. A outstanding story.
Coyote


Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, this chapter was really good! Nice work so far.

Posted 13 Years Ago


So far, so good.

Posted 13 Years Ago


AWESOME!!! Even though it's a cliche`d setting, you sure did a lot with it! You now have my full attention!

Posted 13 Years Ago


whew! This really was a hot chapter. It was great.


Posted 13 Years Ago


Great stuff thus far!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

421 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 2, 2010
Last Updated on May 2, 2010


Author

Undying Glory
Undying Glory

Singapore, Singapore



About
The average guy you'd meet on the street, only with a hidden streak. Or several, for that matter. 24 year old, 4th year medical student, studying in Dundee, Scotland. Never underestimate the pow.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Hello Hello

A Poem by KAREN