The You

The You

A Poem by miahstr


My clothes reek, it's the smell of coffee and cigarettes. This fabric, these clothes, hold it in like a memory. Imprinted like music on vinyl, they sing a song that is all too familiar. The sound of long nights and early mornings, smoke breaks and early warnings. The monument to my life, lived without a care in the world. You know they say tobacco kills you. You see that's the thing, it kills you… it doesn't kill me. couldn't kill me, even if it tried. I could light up, right up to the pearly gates but they would refuse to let me through. I'd share a cig with Peter just to pass the time, and be back at my apartment well before nine. At least that's what I thought before I first coughed up my own blood. It was the first time that threw me, but by the second I knew… I'd become You. The you that gets killed by tobacco companies, the you that doctors tell expected news. The you that I didn't want to be, the one I never expected but knew. I've never been the one to care, but now I don't have a clue. But my clothes smell of the memory before I was you.

© 2019 miahstr


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on March 1, 2019
Last Updated on March 1, 2019
Tags: clothes, cigarettes, st peter, invincibility, cancer, lung cancer

Author

miahstr
miahstr

Mesa, AZ



About
I am a ship on a stormy sea being blown every which way. I have set a course but who knows at which shore I will stay. I write in my free time and my ultimate goal is to inspire epiphany an "oh I didn.. more..

Writing
Garen Garen

A Story by miahstr


Both Feet Both Feet

A Poem by miahstr


Paper Paper

A Poem by miahstr