Tempted - Chapter Six

Tempted - Chapter Six

A Chapter by Michelle_H

CHAPTER SIX

Neither of them spoke on the way to the victims' homes. Both lost in contemplation as they sped along the highway.

Upon arriving to the simple homes located inside the densely packed forest, it was easy to see why Jason was so uneasy. The houses straddled the line of his territory. There was little difference between these homes and the homes that littered the Adirondack mountains where his pack dwelled.

They parked next to a large Oak and got out of the vehicle, treading lightly on the uneven surface of the forest floor.

Alessandra closed her eyes briefly, pushing out with the stronger senses of her panther. As she rose to the surface, Alessandra's eyes turned the deep shade of bronze.

And the forest came alive.

Her hearing was keener, the patter of a skittering mouse was heard from a hundred yards away. Her sense of smell picking up the faintest traces of foliage that crunched softly beneath her suede boots.

The smell of rain infiltrated her senses and she looked to the sky to see dark clouds on the horizon. A storm was coming.

Though the proximity to Jason's territory was unnerving, the smell of human was unmistakable upon arriving at the steps to the front porch.

Jason began heading west past the small, one story house and into the woods towards his territory. As Alessandra scanned her surroundings as she trailed behind, the smell of human began to dissipate, replaced with the earthy fragrance of the wild.

As they walked side by side through the dense growth, Alessandra delighted in the assault of smells coming from the surrounding woodland. The air was cool and invigorating. The cleanse of rain still present on the breeze despite the coming of another storm.

But there was a familiar aroma that spoke of heat, strength, an unbridled spirit. A storm-soaked earth, the remnants of an unquenchable fire, the electric charge of a summer storm.

Jason.

The parents were killed here, together. The child was killed fifty yards away.” His voice took on the edge of a razorblade, lethal. “She tried to escape.” He knelt down ten yards from her, peering at the ground.

Moments later, he sighed, “There's nothing here. Not even a faint trace of their scent or of the vampire.” He began walking further into the woods and stopped fifty yards from his previous spot and knelt down once again. “Same thing.”

He rose to his full height, running his fingers through his hair, a sign of frustration. Alessandra followed his lead, checking in the vicinity of their murders for a trace of scent, blood, anything. If she had not known better, she would not have been able to pin point their location of death.

Has it rained recently?” She could feel the dampness in the air, in the ground, but that didn't mean that it had rained since the attacks.

No. There was a storm the day before they were murdered, but nothing since.” He turned to look at her, her own confusion reflected in his expression.

That's really strange. Usually we would be able to find a trace of something. It's only been two days and there had to have been an incredible amount of blood here. Those wounds weren't small.” She bent down to the ground again, assuring herself that she hadn't missed anything. “Are you sure this is the place?”

He met her gaze beneath lowered brows, “Yes I'm sure.”  

She shrugged, nonplussed by Jason's indignance at her inquiry.  “Just wanted to make sure.” She reached behind her to fix the bun that was coming lose at her nape. 

“So what do we do now? The only evidence we have are the bodies and I think we can both agree that that was the work of a vampire. I could smell the stench of their rot without even trying.”

He nodded and said, “I did too.” He put his hands into the pockets of his jeans and leaned sideways against a nearby tree, the practiced composure of an alpha. Always in control, always self-assured. But she knew better.

His eyes gave him away. The gold lace that filtered between the ocean blue spoke of his frustration and he was old enough that he did not need to bring his panther forward to use its strengths.

He had been her father's second in command when he was in charge, and had been as long as she could remember. And although he looked no older than thirty, he had to be at least a hundred years old.

It took years to leash the Panther within, to be able to hold it at bay while simultaneously weilding the senses that accompanied their feral half.

Ageless power rippled through him. His control was immense and the fact that his Panther had been close to the surface during most of their recent interaction spoke to how the murders were affecting him.

I don't want to give up on the trail, but I don't see what else we can do unless we scout the area for any nearby vampires.” She leaned her back against a nearby Hemlock. 

When had Jason become her partner? The fact that she was collaborating with him spoke to the severity of the situation; how it rattled her common sense.

But a vampire that they couldn't track, couldn't find, was deadly to their people. They didn't know where or who it would attack next.

He looked around as if to find their vampire in the trees before turning and walking in her direction with long, determined strides. “I'll send a few of my men to scout the area. If there are any vampires within a twenty-mile radius, they'll find it.”

She frowned at the thought. Though she had been the one to suggest it, she hadn't really thought Jason would take her suggestion seriously. Sending his men out to look for a rogue vampire was risky at best. Still, they didn't have any other choice. With no scent trail, they'd have to search blind.

She wasn't happy with the decision, but she would have some say in it. “I'll go too, then.” She upturned her chin in preemptive defiance.

So be it. Just know that I'll be heading the operation.” He turned to her, a wicked and playful light dancing behind his eyes. She was so taken aback by the sudden change in demeanor that she was momentarily speechless.

When the meaning of his words finally reached her, she groaned inwardly, but said, “Be my guest. That's just one more set of hands to track down this b*****d.” They climbed back into the SUV. She looked at the determined, lethaly charged man beside her. It was then that she realized what had changed in him.

The thrill of the chase.

Despite the sombering activities of the day, Jason was a warrior at heart and would never turn down the opportunity to seek vengeance on those that had wronged him.

And in this case, had killed a child. It didn't matter that the child didn't belong to his pack, it was a child and children held a fundamental and sacred place in the hearts of were-panthers.

How many people are we taking?” She looked over at Jason as he drove on the interstate. Adrenaline was coursing through her, the chance to let her Panther run free was a novelty that she had not experienced in a long time. 

New York wasn't exactly animal-friendly.

Four others besides ourselves. It will be safer if each party has at least two people.” He leaned forward in his seat and looked skyward through the windshield. “A storm is coming.”

I know, I sensed it as well. Do you think it will hold off until we can finish the hunt?” She peered through the window, mimicing Jason's earlier motion.

Probably not, but it doesn't matter. The senses of my men and I are not hindered by the elements.” He raised an eyebrow, “Are yours?”

She frowned at the patronizing tone, “No,” she answered, not attempting to hide the irritation in her voice. “You forget that I'm no longer a child.”

The senses of their people strengthened with age. Water hindered the senses of young children, but no longer became an issue once they reached adulthood. The same effect occurred with darkness. Though panthers could see clearly at night, were-panther children had difficulty until they reached adulthood.

The true strength of one's panther did not come forth until they reached maturity. As the child matured, so did its panther.

He laughed softly, a warm timbre that echoed the deep tenore of his voice. “Perhaps not, but you still act like one.” He looked over at her, laughter dancing in depths of ice blue, a rare sight.

Was he teasing her? Surely the ever-serious Jason McLeary was not poking fun.

Ha! You're one to talk. I've never seen a child throw a tantrum the likes of which you make a daily routine.”  

"Alessandra, I have no need to throw tantrums.  It is only those who lack strength of will that allow every emotion to color their actions."  He paused and looked over at her briefly before adding, "If I was angry, you would know."

Alessandra's brows raised at the last statement, a soft "hmm" her only reply as she turned her attention back to the forest passing swiftly by.

They sat in amicable silence for the rest of the drive, Alessandra taking the time to enjoy the view of the mountains and relax.

The tension that had been a force of discomfort since her arrival had begun to melt with their recent banter. She was beginning to learn that there was more to Jason than the domineering, serious male that she'd spent most of her life trying to avoid.

That didn't mean that he still wasn't an arrogant SOB when he wanted to be, but there was another side to him that she was learning. She looked over at the large frame of the man beside her.  

Maybe he wasn't the man he used to be; the ever quiet, moody, dark male that her father had called his second.

Just maybe.





© 2012 Michelle_H


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The following sentence needs to change a bit...

And in this case, had killed a child. It didn't matter that the child didn't belong to his pack, it was a child and children held a fundamental and sacred place in the hearts of were-panthers.

i see at least two problems with this sentence...

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2012
Last Updated on March 23, 2012
Tags: vampire, romance, love, novel, crime, adult


Author

Michelle_H
Michelle_H

Fort Campbell, KY



About
I'm 21, from the Bay Area, California and I love to write :) I'm currently a student as well as an Independent Scentsy Consultant. more..

Writing