Tempted - Chapter Seven

Tempted - Chapter Seven

A Chapter by Michelle_H

CHAPTER SEVEN


They reached the Big House forty-five minutes later. Alessandra got out of the SUV on a groan and walked beside Jason as they made their way to the front door.

I'm starving. I haven't eaten since four this morning.”

Jason looked at her before opening the door. “Why didn't you say anything sooner?” Concern lacing the condescending tone.

Too focused on other things, I guess.” She stepped into the house as Jason opened the door for her and a cascade of mouth-watering aromas filled her senses and had her stomach growling angrily.

Spiked blonde hair peeked out from behind the wall of the kitchen. “Hey Jason, breakfast is almost ready.” He turned his gaze on her and smiled, breaking the sun-kissed skin with a glean of brilliance. “And who might you be?”

She's here to assist us with the case.” Jason's more serious tone broke through the clatter of kitchen noise before Alessandra could answer, and left no room for question as to whose company she was.

Well alright then.” He turned back to Alessandra, seemingly nonplussed by Jason's stoic expression. “Are you hungry?”

She smiled back at the friendly face. “Starving.”

They walked into the kitchen and watched as five large men fried, cut, flipped, and toasted their way to a breakfast feast.

She took a seat at the familiar marbled bar of the kitchen beside Jason. It's soft, warn leather seat a comforting brace against the harsh reality of the day.

Spiked blonde hair turned around to face her as she settled in, a frying pan in his hand as he emptied the sizzling contents onto a plate. “I'll have your food ready in just another second.” He paused to hand her a plate of eggs, sausages, and hashbrowns. Her mouth watered.

There ya go. So anyway, my name is Jack, since Jason was too rude to introduce us.” He shot a teasing glance at the dark haired male seated beside her. Jason still bore the expression of an irritated mongoose, but managed a stiff smile at the taunt.

I'm Alessandra,” she said as she let up briefly for air.

Alessandra, Alessandra... Why does that name sound familiar?” Jack was looking at her curiously, trying to pinpoint her image in his memory.

She had been dreading this moment, the moment where somebody would recognize her and begin a bombardment of questions regarding her absence. Still, she was ready to get it over with.

I'm Anthony's daughter.” Everyone in the pack knew who Anthony was; their old leader.

A look of shock crossed the handsome features of the man before her as the room grew silent. She was becoming steadily uneasy as the room seemed to have frozen, all eyes locked on her. Thankfully, Jack broke the silence. “Well I'll be damned. We thought you'd never come back.” 

He was beaming now, clearly overjoyed at the reappearance of the late leader's daughter. But why, she had no idea. She hadn't had many friends as a child, though many people knew her of course, being the leader's daughter. But she had never known Jack personally.

I guess this means Jason here can finally settle down now, eh?” He gave a conspiratorial wink to Alessandra as he returned to serving himself the remainder of the food on the various skillets.

Alessandra frowned, confused at the remark and gesture. Jack was clearly under the impression that Jason and Alessandra had some sort of relationship, but she didn't know why. She turned to Jason, frowning quizzically, searching for answers.

She found him glaring at Jack before glancing quickly in her direction and then returned to his food, avoiding her gaze for the remainder of breakfast. Jason's reaction had her even more confused. He was never one to avoid anything. 

Something was up and she was bound to find out one way or another.

Jason interrupted her musings when he stood up and addressed the five men seated at the table before her. “The scene of the murders revealed no trace of a scent, nothing to follow. I need four of you to join Alessandra and myself in scouting the area. I think if we split up and head north, we should be able to pick up the scent of a rogue vampire somewhere nearby.”

A tall, broad man with red hair spoke up from the table, “What do you plan on doing once we find it?”

Keep him alive. We'll need to question him further. Will you be joining us then, Brian?”

Yes.” The red headed man returned to sitting in silence. A quiet one. She wondered if that's who Jason had chosen as his second. A man not unlike himself.

I'll go, too.” It was Jack. His earlier jovial expression replaced with the serious tone of a man out for a blood. Despite the wide array of personalities that made up Jason's Elite, they were hardened soldiers. She had no doubt regarding their abilities to not only defend themselves, but take out any threat that lurked within and beyond the territory's borders.

Two other dark haired males joined as well. They looked to be brothers, but she couldn't be sure. Jason had already appointed Mark to stay behind and watch the house. He was clearly not happy with the order, but resigned himself to the task.

We'll head out as soon as possible. I want everyone out and ready in the next fifteen minutes.”

The order was responded with only curt nods, the men already preparing themselves mentally for the mission. She, herself, needed only to grab her daggers from her room and she would be ready. Suitable clothes already donned for battle.

As she headed for the stairs, Jason grabbed her arm and pulled her aside. She looked up at him questioningly, “If you would rather change before the others, I can have them wait inside.” His tone spoke of sharpened blades, unsheathed and lethal, ready for the hunt, but held a note of concern.

She shook her head, confused once again at the concern that laced Jason's voice as well as the topic itself. “What are you talking about? I don't need to change, I'm just going to grab my daggers and I'll be right out.”

Now it was his turn to look confused. “Daggers?” Enlightenment flashed over his features and he smiled, clearly amused at the misunderstanding. “Alessandra, we're changing, we won't be needing weapons.”

She had become so accustomed to fighting as a human, as there was little place for a panther in New York City, that she had forgotten that it was customary to not only hunt, but fight in their feral form. At the realization, anxiety coursed through her.

It had been so long, would she even know how to function in feral form? Could she still fight, hunt, run, as a panther?

Seeing the onslaught of fear, Jason gripped her shoulders and bent his head to hers, “You'll be fine, but you should probably change now before the others head outside.”

When they changed, their clothes changed with them. It was better to undress before they converted in order to keep their clothing in one piece.

She nodded slowly, still unsure, but resigned to accept the challenge. She was one of them, it would be ridiculous of her to refuse the form of the stronger, faster, and keener sensed panther. He released her and stepped back, breaking the momentary tenderness of his concern for her modesty. “I'll let the others know. We'll be out in ten minutes.”

He turned and walked back into the kitchen, leaving her to change.

She sighed and walked to the front door. She would have to change outside and leave her clothes on the front steps of the porch. Jason would put them inside when he came out.

She was no prude, but undressing in front of five men, only one of which she knew, was daunting. Thankfully the Big House stood away from the road, sheltered by a thick layer of trees so she did not need to worry about anybody else.

She undressed quickly, removing her shirt, shoes, and boots as she folded each piece on top of the other. When every article was removed, she took a deep breath and tried to relax.

She had to feel it within her, had to call her panther forward with her mind, her spirit. She breathed deep of the musky earth, felt the crisp, cool air on her skin, felt the needles prickle her feet.

She closed her eyes and began to change.



© 2012 Michelle_H


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I still think that present tense would be better. Sorry.

I like this chapter better than the last several. It seems to have some nice realism to it.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

267 Views
1 Review
Added on March 12, 2012
Last Updated on March 23, 2012
Tags: vampire, romance, love, novel, crime, adult


Author

Michelle_H
Michelle_H

Fort Campbell, KY



About
I'm 21, from the Bay Area, California and I love to write :) I'm currently a student as well as an Independent Scentsy Consultant. more..

Writing