I Must be Mad

I Must be Mad

A Chapter by Lost in Wonderland

Simon’s p.o.v.

 

    Blood was everywhere. Gushing from her neck, water falling down his head. Crimson hand prints painted the wall from the struggle they had put up. I was hiding in the closet. I had witnessed the whole thing from a crack in the door. My mother, my father slaughtered. Slaughtered and I did nothing. I was 17. Father had called me a man, and yet I let my mother hide me while she was murdered.

    Why didn’t I help them?

    “Come out, come out where ever you are, my pet. I want to play with you.” She called in a menacing, sing-song voice. I shuddered. This enchantress with the fiery red hair was no friend of mine, as I had once thought. I held my breath as she walked by, blood covered, heart shaped axe in hand. She paused right in front of the door and cocked her head, listening. I closed my eyes and prayed to God she would move on so I could make my escape.

    She sighed , letting me cautiously open my eyes, and walked away shrugging her small shoulders. “Oh Simon, I had hoped this would be more fun for us, but I suppose not.” She lifted her long skirts and pulled out an ornate pouch from her calf. Humming happily to herself, she started pouring black powder everywhere. My eyes bulged as I realized what this utterly beautiful, yet insane girl was doing. She was going to burn my house down.

    “Goodbye Simon, dear.” She called over her shoulder cheerfully as she lit a match. “I hope you enjoy the show.” And with that, she flicked the tiny flame down and ran out.

    I forced myself to wait exactly one minute before I opened the closet door in case she saw me. When I did, I gasped. Red and orange flames dance menacingly, burning my parents and all my possessions. Our small home was enveloped in smoke and ash.

    I screamed out in frustration, seeing everything I ever loved melting in this torturous heat. Get a hold of yourself Simon! I chastised myself, Get out of here NOW! Its what mum wanted…    Taking one last look at my scorching home, I flew out of the back door. The cool breeze felt good on my flushed skin and gave me renewed strength. My head cleared and I ran faster.

 

     That intoxicating, mysterious girl with the red hair was not what she seemed. Only yesterday we had shared secret, stolen kisses in the garden. Why then would she murder my family, and try to do the same with me. Why us? My family and I were simple, hard working farmers who never brought much excitement upon ourselves. It was all very strange.

    I darted past the garden and into the woods. Never before had I ventured there. Naturally I stumbled a few times, nothing to bad…until I fell down the rabbit hole.

    I slipped on a tree root and plummeted head first down a hole that I though much to large for any rabbit I’d ever seen. The fall seemed endless; pitch black and the only sound being the wind rushing in my ears. I couldn’t even scream, it got lost in the abyss.

    Eventually, I landed with a thud, hitting my head pretty hard. I glanced up around me and gasped.

    The grass around me was the brightest spring green my eyes had ever witnessed, the sky was a crystal blue and the trees had lavender, pink, and soft green leaves that shared slender branches with blooming white buds.

     A chubby, white rabbit with a…a monocle hopped cautiously over to me. “Hello…” he said in a raspy voice. Wait…he talked? Rabbits couldn’t talk.

    “Are you Simon Bennet?” The furry little animal asked, eying me in a most peculiar way/

    “Um…y-yes?” My response came out sounding like a question. The rabbit gasped, his expression turning to joy and awe, then quickly changing into fear.

 “Quickly sir, we must hasten away, before the red queen finds you!” And with that I blindly followed my little companion through this otherworldly forest to a small cottage.

    “Here we are,” he said. “Home sweet home.”

    I stared at him blankly. I must be mad.



© 2012 Lost in Wonderland


Author's Note

Lost in Wonderland
This is not my favorite chapter but i just had to get something down so we could move on to the good stuff... sorr if its a little weak but consider it Simon's prologue. Reviews and critiques are always welcome and appriciated as long as they aren't rude. God Bless:)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You put your own twist on this! By the way, your voice is lovely!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much:) God bless
Forever Hidden

11 Years Ago

My pleasure.
Haha, the mad hatter's name is "Simon". I like it! I also like the idea that that's what the Red Queen did to him....:D

Posted 11 Years Ago


My guess is that he's the mad hatter and that's how he got into wonder land. *bounces around in excitement* I like where this is going. I recommend putting in the smell of smoke when he realized his house was burning. I wonder what his "friend's" motives were....Also please send me a msg when you have the next chapter up. i'd love to read it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


what a horrific thing to have happened to the family. the ending was suspenseful. you don't really know what happened to simon. perhaps everything was just wrong and it scared the crap out of him. great imagery.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 28, 2012
Last Updated on June 29, 2012
Tags: Dark, death, murder, running, fantasy, madness


Author

Lost in Wonderland
Lost in Wonderland

In the clouds, Where dreams are found



About
My name is Mickey:) I have a facbook page:) Please like it if you want more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Caged Caged

A Poem by Skye


Jellyfish Jellyfish

A Poem by xSamilynnx


SOMETIMES .... SOMETIMES ....

A Poem by afra