I am not racist

I am not racist

A Story by The Immortal Phoenix

How many cops does it take to change a light bulb? 
None, they just beat the room for being black. 
"What are you drinking Today." they ask. 
"Why its has to be chocolate milk" they say.
Race is an issue when you have a black face.
N****r. KKK bait. black. Negros.
''I don't hate black people'' people once said.
"They make the best slaves"
I take my ethnicity like I take my coffee: Black.
When black people laugh is it called s-niggering?
Well I am not snickering, not even laughing.
Yes I am "Black".
Yes I am a "Negro".
Yes I am an "African American".  
Yes I am "Me".
Does it matter to anyone that I am black?
Does it matter when the tin cans pelt my head?
Thrown  by those "White Haters" driving their "white" cars shouting their "white trash'' at me. 
Or is it black trash.
Can we not be color blind?
why not call us Dark Nights.
people dressed in midnight skins.
I am not racist.
I just happen to live in a town full of white  haters. 
in a rundown house falling apart at the seems.
I fully admit to doing wrong.
But do I deserve the hate that's given.  

© 2018 The Immortal Phoenix


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

is there anywhere i can go to find writers who don't pander to this crap?

Posted 5 Years Ago


The Immortal  Phoenix

5 Years Ago

Hay look, black lives matter too, I put the "too" in their just in case you want to pull a comment .. read more
Hm. Not many of us around here know anything about this. But a few of us do.
I have never lived in the United States, but you don't have to. Every continent seems to have its own brand of tribalist hatred, which, ironically, couldn't be more visceral or more primitive.

Two things that are important. One is to refuse to play the hatred game. And the other is to wear your midnight as the badge of honour that it is.

No one deserves hate. If you are white, then reconcile. If you are black, then stand up.

V

Posted 5 Years Ago


The Immortal  Phoenix

5 Years Ago

*Applause*
Verse

5 Years Ago

Thank you, my friend!!! :):)
People have been prejudice for centuries. It's unfortunate, but its a part of history, and a bad part of it too. I never asked why my friend was a different color than me when I was young. Most children probably don't. It is something people learn from others. It's a sad statement about a percentage of our society but that's a sad part of life.

Nicely done. Phoenix.

Posted 5 Years Ago


The Immortal  Phoenix

5 Years Ago

I happen to know about prejudice first hand.
I think there is a lot of good content and emotion in this poem. I really am not any sort of expert on poetry, but I like to try and offer helpful reviews so I would like to give some suggestions. Take it or leave it, like I said I’m no expert and if there is a way I can offer more helpful reviews(or if you rather me not share my thoughts), don’t hesitate to point it out or request so.

I think that some of this can be more clearly stated and I think there are a lot of opportunities to intensify it.

“How many cops does it take to change a light bulb. None they just beat the room for being black.”

I think this establishes the tone right off the bat which I expect is a good thing.

“What are you drinking  Today they ask. Why its has to be chocolate milk they say.”

This is a little confusing. I think punctuation may be missing or in the wrong place, but I think it just needs a bit of playing around and proofreading.

“Race is an issue when you have a black face.
N****r, KKK bait,black,Negros
''I dont hate black people'' people once said
"They make the best slaves"”

This has a lot of strong language and emotion which of course I expect is good, but I think if you add in some punctuation it will cause the poem to read more clearly.

“I take my ethnicity like I take my coffee: Black.
When black people laugh is it called s-niggering?
Well I am not snickering, not even laughing”

I like the the assonance of “black” and “laugh” and the slight rhyme with “snickering” and “laughing”. I am not too sure what I think about the double usage of “laugh/laughing”.

“Yes I am "Black"
Yes I am a "Negro"
Yes I am an "African American"  
Yes I am "Me"
Does it matter to anyone that I am black?
Does it matter when the tin cans pelt my head?”

Im a fan of the repetition.

“Thrown  by those "White Haters" driving their "white" cars shouting their "white trash'' at me. 
Or is it black trash.”

I like the connection of “tin cans” and “trash”. I think this sort of tracking ideas through a poem is really effective.

“why not call us Dark Nights.
people dressed in midnight skins.
I am not racist.
I just happen to live in a town full of white  haters. 
in a rundown house falling apart at the seems.
I fully admit to doing wrong.
But do I deserve the hate that's given.”

I think this would be an awesome opportunity to use some cool language and imagery.

In all, I think you can have a powerful poem and I think if you play around with interesting word usages like alliteration and some other devices and pare it with some imagery there in the last few lines, it would make the poem more powerful and stay with the reader longer, making them think.

I enjoyed reading this!

Posted 5 Years Ago


H L Rose

5 Years Ago

Nope! I want to teach English as a foreign language after college though!
The Immortal  Phoenix

5 Years Ago

You are off to a great start
H L Rose

5 Years Ago

. thanks !

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

323 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 1, 2018
Last Updated on October 2, 2018

Author

The Immortal  Phoenix
The Immortal Phoenix

townsend , DE



About
My Name is Micky Gear. I am the immortal Phoenix. You cannot kill me, at this point my biggest fear is myself. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My Friend My Friend

A Poem by Norbanus


Cancri Cancri

A Poem by Pryde Foltz