The Pumpkin and the Pixie

The Pumpkin and the Pixie

A Story by K.G
"

Appearences often are deceiving. . . .Warning 10 year olds an under read at your own risk!

"

Deep in the forest of mystic woods, we pass and step by fallen leaves.

As the leaves fall, we begin to see them twist and sway with the fey as they jump from tree to tree. We do not see them, but we see them. We walk and walk as we pass by a waltzing fey. Once our feet crunch the new fallen crisp leaves, she stops. Everything is silent. The animals stopped and came alert. So silent and eerie, even the beings themselves started to startle themselves.

 

Quietly, as silently as she could, a hiding place was found. From there she stood and waited behind friendly, comforting leaves. Waiting and waiting she did, till finally the giants left. When the close was clear she was about to go out. And when she did, something grabbed her from behind. The fey was so startled she was about to scream. She didn’t because a ruff, thick, and prickly leafy green vine had quickly but gently covered her mouth. A leaf moved over her already covered mouth and from behind the terrified fey something or someone whispered “hush, it’s not safe yet”.

 

The fey was about to try and scream again. She was so frightened and scared. What if he is that monster that all the elves warned us about? While she was trying to recall the warning other fey where trying to tell her; the bushes in front of her started to shake and move. It was a human. They little fey eyes widened even more, for the human, its face was so close to hers and the leaves, only time stood still. Breathe held, and silent prayers was being sent to the goddess. She prayed and prayed that he wasn’t one of those ignorant humans with the sight to see him.

 

Sweat was breaking out from the frightened fey. But time moved on when the human boy left from the bushes. “Nothin there except for a random wild pumpkin”, said the boy as he left with his friend. “Come on, it’s getting dark. . .” the boys friend stated. Relief washed over her as the humans laughed and joked as they walked away from the bushes. The fey didn’t hear what he said earlier. If only she knew. Green vines that was once binding her, silencing her, now set the relieved fey down.

 

“I didn’t get any of my tiny thorns on you did I?” asked the mysterious savior. After brushing off, she finally responded by turning around, she smiled and said no. When she looked too see her savior, all she could see was his vines, shadows masking his figure. “Oh I’m so glad. . .” said the mysterious being. “Yep! Not a single scratch!” chirped the now happy fey. “I’m glad to hear that”, replied back her savior. She didn’t see it, but there was a shadowy smile on his “face”. Feeling safe now, the fey decided to introduce her.

 

“My name is Pixie, Pixie Le Fey! Now please come out and play! Sing your name, so I can grant your wish in repayment for a good deed!” she chanted. “Jack. . .” he replied back. Something in her memory stirred, but she thought nothing about it. He hobbled out from the shadows, with what little light to see with, came out an innocent looking pumpkin who grew in the woods. “Oh it’s you Mr. Pumpkin,” she smiled from seeing her old friend. “What’s your wish, tell me and I shall grant it.” Pixie would regret her words soon. When he spoke, a light came out of his mouth.

 

“I wish. . .” he said with a demonic grin, a grin that only a lantern could make. Pixie froze from horror. Memories of what the other fey children warned her about finally came to her. Be aware of jack-o-lanterns. I heard they eat fey. There the fairy eaters. . . . She couldn’t utter a word as the monster came closer to her. A glowing eye opened up.

 

Another opened, his feature completed.“I wish . . . for you to be dinner” he said with a ghastly grin on his face. He chuckled and laughed in a grimly matter while Pixie just stayed in her place, cold fear on her expression. “No” was all she could say. First the monster drains her of her light. Then the monster devours her. The last the thing the fey child saw, darkness. Above in the tree’s, an owl stands, then takes flight into the October night.

© 2012 K.G


Author's Note

K.G
this was for school one day, what do u guys think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Great story, K.G.! Pretty sad twist at the end in which the savior becomes the villain, but I like the way in which you replace the gruesome death of Pixie Le Fey with dark imagery - very clever! I really like the idea of an animated pumpkin monster as a character. I like how you gave pumpkin monsters intrinsic characteristics like their infamous devilishness. It just makes sense, somehow that a pumpkin monster would save a pixie just so he could eat her.

I would suggest that you proof read a few more times. In addition to a few gramatical errors there seems to be an inadvertent transition from second person ("we") to third person ("she"). Personally, I prefer stories that are written in the omniscient third person perspective so I would advise dropping or changing the beginning to match the rest. First and second person narratives are kind of "screechy" to me for some reason. Does that make sense? Also, every time you proof read you should be imagining what it must be like for someone who has never read your story before to be reading it for the first time. You obviously have a very intricate understanding of the scene and the characters playing a roll in the scene, but sometimes your introduction to the characters or description of their motives is a little too direct. By being direct you're actually missing a great opportunity to employ your tremendous talent as a descriptive writer. You're losing your audience right at the moment when you should be drawing them in and selling them on this great story. Write, read, repeat! :)

I think you have a LOT of potential as a writer. Just keep working hard at it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh my god, I feel soooooo bad for the pixie! The twist ending was a nice addition to the story though! Although there were a few spelling errors, they didn't mess with the interpretation of the story. Good work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
K.G

11 Years Ago

Yay!
great Halloween story, though i feel kinda bad for the pixie-fairy thing....oh well great job anways

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

C.C. Marx

11 Years Ago

but we shouldnt forget michael phelps either
K.G

11 Years Ago

lol
C.C. Marx

11 Years Ago

yep after all he is the most decorated Olympian ever sometimes a girl is attracted to power too :)
"We do not see them, but we see them." This line confuzed me, but the rest of it was amazing! It flowed so rhythmicly like a poem and had great detail! The story was well thought out and interesting. The final line gave me chills!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

K.G

11 Years Ago

oops >.< thanx for finding that. . .it was ment to say we dont see them, but they can see us.. . .il.. read more
Alexa Tasch

11 Years Ago

lol
K.G

11 Years Ago

or something like that >.>
OMG I LOVE!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BakaBrook

11 Years Ago

Okays
K.G

11 Years Ago

lol yes :)
BakaBrook

11 Years Ago

^O () O^
Oh! One more thing: You should have explained rather quickly that she is a pixie rather than waiting. If you were writing a longer story or a novel, then it's okay to kind of leave the reader guessing and wondering for a bit about such detail. But with a story of this length you should get such detail right up front so the reader is immediately able to visualize your scene. It helps to draw them in and enjoy the story more. Cheers!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

K.G

11 Years Ago

this was an assighnment for class an i only had 2 days to write it XD, another thing, i like going f.. read more
Great story, K.G.! Pretty sad twist at the end in which the savior becomes the villain, but I like the way in which you replace the gruesome death of Pixie Le Fey with dark imagery - very clever! I really like the idea of an animated pumpkin monster as a character. I like how you gave pumpkin monsters intrinsic characteristics like their infamous devilishness. It just makes sense, somehow that a pumpkin monster would save a pixie just so he could eat her.

I would suggest that you proof read a few more times. In addition to a few gramatical errors there seems to be an inadvertent transition from second person ("we") to third person ("she"). Personally, I prefer stories that are written in the omniscient third person perspective so I would advise dropping or changing the beginning to match the rest. First and second person narratives are kind of "screechy" to me for some reason. Does that make sense? Also, every time you proof read you should be imagining what it must be like for someone who has never read your story before to be reading it for the first time. You obviously have a very intricate understanding of the scene and the characters playing a roll in the scene, but sometimes your introduction to the characters or description of their motives is a little too direct. By being direct you're actually missing a great opportunity to employ your tremendous talent as a descriptive writer. You're losing your audience right at the moment when you should be drawing them in and selling them on this great story. Write, read, repeat! :)

I think you have a LOT of potential as a writer. Just keep working hard at it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you should've added the moral to the ending, it was great!! I love it ^_^

Posted 11 Years Ago


K.G

11 Years Ago

yay lol, i added it to the top so it can catch peoples attentions better ^.^ ill added to the bottom.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

590 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 4, 2012
Last Updated on October 4, 2012
Tags: pumkin, halloween, fabtasy, fable, pixie, fey, fall, woods, jack-o-lantern, eating

Author

K.G
K.G

Bipolor, WA



About
Hello everyone! Im putting a pause on poetry, and pressed play on stories, more..

Writing
The Monroe Killer The Monroe Killer

A Story by K.G



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..