The Train of Thought

The Train of Thought

A Story by Ryan McAuley

I sat there in the passenger car, rocking back and forth as the train sped along it’s tracks. I had my own separate room, which I preferred. Licking the tip of my quill, I attempted to write some more on the parchment, only to realize it needed more ink before I could continue. The handwriting was very neat and curvy, looking like a mix between cursive and  print. A subtle connection of letters here and there, making a nice flowing line, with a few breaks for certain letters, that continued from one end of the page to the other end.

A knock on the door leading to my compartment startled me out of my deep thought, launching a droplet of ink from the tip to splotch the page, luckily not obscuring any word already written. I looked up and through the glassed, top section of the door. A beautiful woman with cascading brown hair, stood in the hall, waiting politely for me to open the door for her.

As quickly as I could, while being mindful not to mess up my paper any more, I capped the ink, stored the quill, and placed the paper carefully on the seat next to me. I stood, finally, and opened the door. “Greetings, Madam. Is there anything I can help you with?” As I said this I noticed her luggage was next to her, and a small bag was in her hands.

“Yes actually, I was wondering if there was enough space in there for one more.” She wasn’t really wondering that, as she could plainly see there was more than enough.

I stepped back and bowed, gesturing with my hands that she was welcome to enter. “Will you need help storing your bag?” I raised my head with the question, while keeping my body bent and arms held just so. She really was gorgeous, dressed in white embroidered with gold, looking extremely proper.

“I will not, thank you. Tell me, have you ever ridden on this train before? I ride it quite frequently and have never seen you on it.”

Every time I had ridden it, I had seen her. Arm in arm with a different man each time, maybe this time I would be the man, espied and envied by the others. “I have, though not often. I am only rarely inspired enough to ride upon the Train of Thought.”

The answer seemed to suffice for her, as she gave a small nod with a smile, picked up her bag, and walked in. “You are a writer.” It was another observation of an obvious thing, the stack of papers on the bench I had been sitting on tilted with the motion of the train. I had to move quickly to make sure they didn’t scatter about the room.

“I am, and what of yourself? Your voice would be perfectly suited for that of a singer.” She laughed a musical noise, most likely in mockery of what I had said.

“I am not that, but a simple teacher.” Her eyes suddenly went wide and she let out a small “oh.” She looked into my eyes, almost sadly. “My class has arrived, I suppose it is time for me to depart.” She, and her luggage, began to fade. She was leaving the dreamlike place that was the Train of Thought.

“Maybe I will see you again, and we can talk longer.” My words caught her before she disappeared fully, and she gave a quick nod.

She had distracted me, and I found myself having wandered from the Train of Thought as well. I sit now, staring at my computer, fingers hovering above the keyboard, not quite knowing where to go anymore.

“Damn it!”

© 2008 Ryan McAuley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aww, that was cute. I really liked this story. It's a bit slow to start, the first paragraph especially. I found myself wondering how, at the pace the story was going, anything interesting could happen before the end of the page. But, turns out that's the entire point. It's just the thought, the writer's daydreams and his struggle to bring the words to heel. I especially liked the allegorical representation of the author. There was one sentence that did trip me up a bit though.

"A beautiful woman with cascading brown hair, stood in the hall, waiting politely for me to open the door for her."

I think you might want to consider changing the sentence up a bit, the "stood in the hall" part right after the comma kind of messes up the flow. I'd take out the comma, or change it to "standing in the hall".


Posted 16 Years Ago


hahaha very lovely this is exactly the kind of fantasy/ surrealist story i was looking for. something with a twist in the end!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow I can't believe my work inspired this...seriously what an interesting journey you went on and I don't know that I can call her a muse no no no.........I think she is a real woman ....and the reality of that truth is that we are.....indeed...... distracting lol lol lol

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

301 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

Ryan McAuley
Ryan McAuley

RAF Mildenhall, Suffolk, United Kingdom



About
I was born in the city of Landstuhl in Germany. At the time my father was in the Air Force so from there we moved to Texas, then to Arizona. We lived there until my father retired from the Air Forc.. more..

Writing
in work in work

A Story by Ryan McAuley


progress progress

A Story by Ryan McAuley


In Work In Work

A Story by Ryan McAuley