The Story of the Simese sisters

The Story of the Simese sisters

A Story by Mintwhiskers

THE CHRISTMAS OF THE SIAMESE SISTERS

Our little cabin stood on the outskirts of the small town. Papa built it thirty- eight years ago, in the fine year of 1877. He put his heart and soul into that house; to give it to Mama the Christmas of 1877. Mama was so grateful for the house she did not enjoy living in a hotel with her newborn child (which was me.) Papa says that mama cried for three days straight, and then she would sputter to Papa ‘Oh, Samson our own Wisconsin house.’

I had so many memories in that house; my whole childhood took place there. I even met my own husband, Paul, in that house. I met him one night when we were having dinner with the new neighbors. I took instant attraction to him, but he didn’t see me until two years later when I matured from those swinging blond pigtails, and when I put shoes on my callused bare feet.

One of my biggest memory is when my sister Natalie was born. Natalie was 12 year s younger than me, but I loved her so and she did the same to me. I remember that misty Christmas night. I waited for a long time outside of Mama’s door; pacing like a nervous father. I remember when out of the silence a heard a tiny baby’s cry. I was so glad that night, and I know God had sent us a true Christmas present like when he sent Jesus to the Earth The Son of God.

After the midwife clean off the tiny babe she brought her out to me and Papa to see and hold. The kind midwife gently placed the babe into my arms. She was born with a full head of curly blond hair. I stroked her head lightly as she squirmed her body and looked up at me with her unopen eyes. I knew at the moment her and me would be impossible to separate.

From that day forward I would always change her diaper, and I would feed her , her bottle when Mama was unable to breast feed her. I would rock her and play with her , but of course I let Mama have her turn with her. I loved her so much I gave up my Christmas penny to buy warm wool to make her a sweater.

Natalie wasn’t all cuteness and a lovable baby; she was always bound to get in trouble. She meant good in what she was doing, but Mama frowned at her ideas. As a toddler she was always in trouble. Even with all her mischievousness she was the sweetest child I knew. My favorite thing about Natalie is how she always knows how to brighten up the day, but the best thing about her is she made Christmas time magical. Or she would make Christmas different like her third Christmas.

It was a very chilly Christmas eve, and the sky showed sure signs of a big snowfall. Almost my whole family came to our small little cabin. Despite the small space in the cabin it was going to be the best Christmas. The cabin was filled with the smell of holly and Christmas cookies. All the family was going out to go Christmas shopping or to take their little ones to see Santa. Natalie was two at the time and totally afraid of Santa. So my cousin Tim and me stayed home with Natalie. Tim and I didn’t want to see a man dressed up in a Santa suit; we were 14 what was the point.

This Christmas was my first Christmas being a girlfriend with Paul. I decided to go over for a little bit, and bring him and his family some cookies. I didn’t want to bring Natalie into the cold, and I didn’t want her to be caught in the snow storm either; I didn’t have a wagon like Papa and the rest of the family. I decided to leave Natalie with Tim, and he said he didn’t care, he could watch after Natalie. He would do anything to have some of them soft and warm cookies.

When I began my walk over to Paul’s it began to flurry. It seemed to be getting heavier with every step. Soon the snow was piling up. It was getting worst ,with each footstep. Each footprint I made would be covered up a second later. It must be building up into a blizzard. I had to hurry.

I reached Paul’s a few minutes later. They greeted me with bright smiles and a cup of warm co-coa. Paul’s family was dancing, and I started to join in. It was so much fun I lost track of time I must of been here for a hour at least.

I basically flew home. I was running so fast my feet barely touched the ground. I had to hurry Tim wasn’t very reliable.

When I got home; Tim. was asleep in the rocking chair and Natalie was no where in sight.. I went over to Tim and shook him vigorously. "Huh, What?" he said stupidly.

"Where’s Natalie?" I asked in anger "Why did you go to sleep?"

" I had her secure, she was in the baby gate your dad made."

"She can open that, Tim."

"I didn’t know that."

"You didn’t think." I answered back. I left swiftly leaving Tim stunned . I went outside to the big snow hill, Natalie loved to sled. I stuffed my cold hands in my pockets, but one of them had something in it. It was Natalie’s coat! She must be frozen by now, I thought. I started running. It stunk that it was a blizzard there was no way to trace Natalie’s footprints. I was close to the hill by now. Up ahead I spotted something brown, it was Natalie’s sled. I was on the right track. I continued to run on. Then I spotted something else in the snow, it was Natalie. I picked her up. She was just a little limp body. I sped home she was becoming a human icicle.

Home was just ahead, and I could already feel the warmth of the fire. The family was already home because Papa’s wagon was here, but several horses were gone from the stable. I rushed in side. Once in side, many people rushed to take Natalie. Once she was out of my arms, I clasped form exhausting, but I had to help Natalie. I crawled over to her side to rub her warm until Mama brought warm clothes.

Tim told everyone about Natalie’s disappearance, and all the men were on a search party.

Mama told me to go to sleep, but I disobeyed her. It was my fault she left in the first place, so I was going to help. I sat for hours and hours rubbing her, placing warm clothes on her body, and giving her warm drinks. The men did return a few hours later, so relieved to see Natalie. They were given co- coa and then they went to bed. It was late in the night when I finally went to sleep. It was much after everyone and right next to Natalie. I went to sleep that night with a heavy idea in my heart that she would not survive. Her breathing became shallow and it greatly concerned me, I don’t know how I got to sleep.

It was early the next day when I was awoken by a shake. It was Natalie! She stood there and said "Pippa , Santa!"

I grabbed her and screamed. Everyone came running expecting the worst, but finding the best. She almost died last night, and here she is as healthy as a horse. Last night was so scary, but her near death brought her and me closer than ever.

That Christmas was the strangest, but also the best to know that God was watching over us. But then it was Christmas; Jesus’s birthday anything could happen.

Now thirty-eight years later. Her and me live in that cabin with our husbands. Nothing can separate us now.

© 2009 Mintwhiskers


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a really good story! I liked it a lot.
One or two things--you fell out of the time period for a moment or two.
1. Santa was not nearly as much of a gimmick back then. Kids, especially frontier ones like it seems this family is, would never send children to sit on his lap. Wikipedia says the first time that began to happen was in 1918.
2. 'Girlfriend' was never a word they would have used in the 1800s. It didn't come around as a real word until the 1930s or probably later. But even then a girl wouldn't have been anybody's girlfriend at 14.
Also, I would have liked to see the scene at Paul's house drawn out a little. She didn't even talk to Paul, it seemed like--I would write down what their interactions were. Then the reader can get carried away with your MC at Paul's house.
OK, but now for the good things; this was a very touching story, simply a GREAT Christ-centered moral, really liked the end. Stay in the period you set and you'll be good!

~S

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm not going to repeat what Scott Free said but apart from that this is a great story.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a very nicely told Christmas miracle story that holds the reader's interest, but there are a few spelling and grammar errors.
I really enjoyed the story of the love between the sisters and the concern you (the heroin) showed for the baby sister. It's unfortunate, but true, that there is too little of that today.
Overall a very good job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is a really good story! I liked it a lot.
One or two things--you fell out of the time period for a moment or two.
1. Santa was not nearly as much of a gimmick back then. Kids, especially frontier ones like it seems this family is, would never send children to sit on his lap. Wikipedia says the first time that began to happen was in 1918.
2. 'Girlfriend' was never a word they would have used in the 1800s. It didn't come around as a real word until the 1930s or probably later. But even then a girl wouldn't have been anybody's girlfriend at 14.
Also, I would have liked to see the scene at Paul's house drawn out a little. She didn't even talk to Paul, it seemed like--I would write down what their interactions were. Then the reader can get carried away with your MC at Paul's house.
OK, but now for the good things; this was a very touching story, simply a GREAT Christ-centered moral, really liked the end. Stay in the period you set and you'll be good!

~S

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OH i love this story...it shows a mirical...you did a lovely job on it...and it does show that God does watch over us :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

485 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 7, 2009
Last Updated on April 8, 2009

Author

Mintwhiskers
Mintwhiskers

NJ



About
Click Here For Myspace Graphics at GraphicsHunt.com Life Is Too Short Click Here For Myspace Graphics at GraphicsHunt.com Love I Feel this is from a good movie called The Notebook Click.. more..

Writing
Fate Fate

A Book by Mintwhiskers



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Alone Alone

A Poem by Regan Meade