The evil only dreams

The evil only dreams

A Story by Mirna
"

The good and the evil both have terrible realities and wonderful dreams, but the reason why the good always wins is because the good can live in the evil's reality, while the evil cannot.

"

‘And never have I felt more alive in my dreams, more free and awake and so full of life, never have I felt that the world of where my footsteps are felt on the ground is enough to satisfy my human mind. And that is why, after every sleep, I awoke to dream once again,’ said the man with the black hat and 3 gold rings around his thumb.

Though that man was too rich and too important to be a dreamer " he had everything, everything under the soil and above the tallest buildings in his pocket, in fact " he was so powerful that every new event and every production in the world was done by him, or more accurately, by the invisible hand.

“But how do you do that, sir? How can you dream in reality, when dreaming is known to exist only in the imaginary world?” the slave asked him as he poured down the coffee in a cup made of gold.

“Only the dull think as how you think, George. I would hate to live in the mind of an ordinary human; it is so utterly foolish, perhaps that is why I am so powerful, isn’t it so? Because the humans living on it are too afraid to dream. If they did, they would have probably reached heaven much faster.” The man sipped his coffee gently and then said with a smirk, “and my time on this world would have ended too soon, too soon for writers that want to create good literature.”

It was a long, hot day and the slave did not bother to grasp the meanings of the words that ran out of the man’s lips, but silence during confusion never exists, and so he had to speak,

“That makes no sense, sir. You speak as if you are not a human, and anyone who speaks like that tells me that they are leading a dangerous life.”

The man gave a sly grin and then placed the cup on the tray as he realized that the slave would not end the conversation.

“But humans are not better.”

“They are better than the evil.”

“To be evil is to not be weak, and to be weak is to be human.”

“To be evil is to be powerful for a while and then eventually weak. And to be human is to have the choice of whether to be good or evil, and that is more advantageous than not being weak.” The slave said and then smiled secretly as he noticed the man’s sly grin change into confusion.

“You are too influenced by literature. That is what those writers do " they make you believe that a fragile human being can have more power than the magician. What nonsense, and how unimaginative! We need more writers that can write about reality with imagination.” The man took another sip from his coffee and then gave another grin, but instead this one looked like it came from a child that had scribbled on the walls for the first time.

“You dream too much, sir, that I am afraid you have forgotten about reality.”

The man took a glance at his 3 gold rings and then adjusted his black hat and stood up with agitation,

“I am much happier without reality. And happiness matters to me more.”

“Oh, anyone is happier without reality. The good and the evil both have terrible realities and wonderful dreams,” the slave placed the cup back on the tray and then picked it up to leave, “and the reason why the good always wins is because they can live in the evil’s reality, while the evil cannot.” 

A loud laughter packed the room with vibrating waves that had only disappeared after the man closed his mouth and said,

“You will then live a terrible, terrible reality for a very long time whereas I will live a wonderful dream. And in fact, I am living it now. Go make another cup of coffee, this one was too sweet. Haven’t I told you that I liked it bitter?”

The slave nodded and then said with a smile,

“I apologize. I had served you my own coffee unintentionally. It is indeed terrible to live in reality as you say, but a good dreamer must live in a terrible reality in order to create the best dream.”

The man rolled his eyes and then adjusted his black hat once more, then took out a notebook and began to write about the future of the next generation. 

© 2014 Mirna


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this read very much so, and nearly find myself engaged in conversation or in deep thought about such related matters on a daily basis. Can you tell me where this poem has stemmed from? What struck the match to ignite the fire that drove this poem? Just curious is all.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Mirna

9 Years Ago

thank you so much:) and I never usually know how I get inspired to write a piece, it usually comes o.. read more
There is a moral in this wonderful piece of prose and written with great figurative language.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Mirna

9 Years Ago

sorry for replying late, but thank you so much!
Got some chills reading this! :D
Great piece of writing!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mirna

10 Years Ago

thank you so much :) xx
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ANM
There is evil in this world in many guises how we deal with it is what matters! Dreams are what sets us apart! Lovely writing!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mirna

10 Years Ago

thank youu!! :) xx
ANM

10 Years Ago

You are very welcome! Will be reading more....
I enjoyed reading your work tonight thinking about dreams and the crossover into reality
a lot lately. thanks for sharing your story

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mirna

10 Years Ago

thank you so much :)xx
A really engaging read, the interaction between the two characters was awesome.

Good one again Mirna. Your stories have great characters.

Please check my book Urchin R kane if you and when you are free. It would really be helpful if you reviewed it. Hope to write dialogues like you do. Crisp and stylish

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mirna

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much :) and I will definitely check the book out this weekend and review it :) your com.. read more
New Theory

10 Years Ago

You are welcome :) and thanks in advance :)
I loved this and the end was perfect to what the slave had to say, without the good bad and ugly where would all understanding weigh? It would we would live in a confused state of mind wondering wondering and wondering , It's ok to give thought be a thinker, Man made the light bulb was a thinker, Thomas Edison's was asked how many times did it take to make the light bulb, He gave his answer and it was said so your saying you didn't know how to make the light bulb? He said no sir I learned 3000 times how to make the light bulb better and last longer. I see the outline of your story and I love it Sis. We have people in the world were gave a gift and how they use that gift is up to them, I say this because I was gave a gift and I have abused it I feel. I am honest enough to say but I made no money of it, I feel it how I did it so idk. I write in many form and I sure I am looked at why did you write that smut? The answer is I was caught up in a song or I had a great feeling inside, Hey We were gave feeling Songs of Solomon speaks of it and I love that book. Anyways my point is how can we not learn without the true teachings? What makes the teaching true? Its simple we lived it to see that it wasn't right to begin with:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mirna

10 Years Ago

Jon i love your comments for my stories your ideas are always lovely to read :) thank you so much, i.. read more
0000000000000000000000000000

10 Years Ago

Your welcome Sis:)
Before I begin this review, I would like to say that this is just my opinion, and it comes from a person that has neither read nor written much.

Anywho, I found the dialogue between the three-ringed man and George to be very intriguing. The discussion on the difference between the dream world and the reality-world was interesting. This part, in particular, stuck out to me:

“I am much happier without reality. And happiness matters to me more.”

“Oh, anyone is happier without reality. The good and the evil both have terrible realities and wonderful dreams,” the slave placed the cup back on the tray and then picked it up to leave, “and the reason why the good always wins is because they can live in the evil’s reality, while the evil cannot.”

I like this thought, that the virtuous and righteous people are able to persevere in reality both peaceful and cruel, while the wicked and malicious cannot. I have a few interpretations of the phrase "while the evil cannot," and I'll say two of them here: the wicked can't be content with what they have, and therefore grab more and more until they're either exhausted or cave from their failure; or they cannot reside in the reality with their bad deeds because the good in the reality are able to end their wicked deeds/dreams. Whatever it is, it's an interesting discussion to have.

I don't know if this next statement applies to Emirati culture, or even if it will make sense, but while I was reading this, I felt really warm. I don't mean heartwarming, but as I read this I felt like I was in a pleasant room with sunlight warming my skin. The way the two characters speak, with each statement sounding more like people debating with skillful use of language instead of two people talking, made this feel more like a tale than a story. I don't know if that makes sense, but your story has a warm quality to my experience.

I'm still wrestling with the ideas within the story, so I won't criticize anything about it for now. What I am going to criticize are more grammatical issues and nitpicks.

“Only the dull think (as how) [having both of these words is redundant, I think. Consider taking one out] you think, George. I would hate to live in the mind of an ordinary human; it is so utterly foolish, perhaps that is why I am so powerful, isn’t it so? (because) [Because] the humans living on it are too afraid to dream. If they did, they would have probably reached heaven much faster.” The man sipped his coffee gently and then said with a smirk, “and my time on this world would have ended too soon, too soon for writers that want to create good literature.”

"It was a long, hot day and the slave did not bother to grasp the meanings of the words that ran out of the man’s lips, but silence during confusion never exists, and so he had to speak," [This should be a period]

"The man gave a sly grin and then placed the cup on the tray as he realized that the slave (will) [would] not end the conversation."

That's it for now. I'll place this in my library to go back to, so that I may dwell on the ideas it presents—if that's okay with you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mirna

10 Years Ago

Oh wow thanks for this! It's so nice to see how deeply you look into things and it was really lovely.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

478 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 15, 2014
Last Updated on March 16, 2014
Tags: Good, Evil, Dreamer, Writer, Reality, Short Story, Creative Writing

Author

Mirna
Mirna

Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates



About
I am a writer who is shy yet courageous, humble yet loud, wanting to break out of my shell and reach people and tell them we have the same problems, the same fears, the same hopes, and the same loves,.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ask Me Ask Me

A Poem by Vidya Bacchus