In The Eyes Of A Soldier

In The Eyes Of A Soldier

A Story by Justsimplyjulia
"

In the perspective of a solider...

"

A gunshot echoes behind me. I fall to my knees and roll into a trench. Panting, I feel my heart accelerating. I am lucky, which is more than I can say for the man behind me, who now lays motionless his eyes widened with shock. They are unfocused, giving me the final answer. That man, just like millions of others, died.

We will all die with a heart filled with pride, even when we lay awake at night, worried about the next day. Even when we moan and groan with pain, clutching our stomachs because of the food poisoning. From the moment we stepped onto this battle field, to the moment we die.

We will always have pride.

 

I take small shaky steps to our camp. I smell the stench of canned food, molding flesh and urine all rotted together in one, big powerful reek. It is so strong; bile rises to my throat as I desperately try to swallow it down. I walk over to my usual spot, a fairly large boulder. A fellow soldier props a plate of what seemed like beans and rice. The memories of mom’s homemade cooking fill my mind. The smell of chicken roasting in the oven, the delicious, creamy potatoes drizzled with gravy melting in my mouth. I long for a decent meal. But instead, I choke down the food. I try to keep our spirits high by telling everyone, “Maybe one day, the war will be over.” But they just laugh and shake their heads in disbelief. I swallow my disappointment, and try to fall asleep.

 

I wake up the next day and stretch. I gaze up to the lifeless, dark clouds that seem to be permanently above me. The sky matches my mood, dark and gloomy.

I quickly climb up the frail walls that protect us. When I reach the top and glance over, I see a group of about 70 men. I let myself drop. I crashed to the ground and quickly wake the others. I tell them what I’ve seen. We each grab a gun. Sweat trickles down my spine. I never thought the day would come that I would have to kill a man. I carefully climb up again and slowly creep towards the trespassing group. A bomb explodes a couple of yards away from me, where a dear friend known to me as Cory, now lays dead. I squeeze my eyes against the sharp grief pelting me like a Tommy gun.

I took aim.

The trigger seemed to weigh a ton or two.

I fired.

A man went down.

I jump into a crater and pray that this would all be over soon.

 

I now lay awake on the packed dirt of our camp, and allow myself to cry bitterly. We lost 7 men today, four of them whom I knew from my childhood days. I try to imagine their family’s expression.
I failed. It only reminded me of my own family back home.

A beautiful wife, two kids and a dog named Freckles. I wonder for the millionth time. Why am I here? But I know the answer to that, because I am willing to die to protect my country, friends and family. And right there and then, I vowed to myself. Not to let the lives of millions be taken for granted. I know I will not die without a fight.

 

Several months pass by and I am listening to our camp’s radio. It declares a miracle. “The war has finally ended.” We all cheer and cry without shame. That night, we fall asleep with relief in our hearts. When we arrive at the train station the next morning, we are each given three medals, one for honor, one for bravery and one for gratitude. We board our trains and I exchange goodbyes with my comrades.

After hours of traveling, I finally arrive home. I step off the train and feel arms wrap around my neck. I hug my wife back and children.

I feel their little arms squeezing my legs.

I pick up my baby girl. She smiles and says these words to me.

“I love you daddy.”

Those are her first words.           

 

 

© 2013 Justsimplyjulia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am truly impressed by this piece. War is not a game, and I'm glad that you make that very clear here. I have friends who served, and this reminds me of the things they told me. Keep up the good work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Justsimplyjulia

10 Years Ago

Thanks for that review! Thank you for popping in this morning :)
-Dragon
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ron
You wrote this so well. I have had that moment when "The trigger seemed to weigh a ton or two"
I never saw a buddy of mine die. This story brought back memories of the short time I was in Honduras. It did not last long but it has lasted a life time. Thank you for writing this. As a soldier I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Posted 10 Years Ago


ron

10 Years Ago

Thank you. First of all...war and battle are not glorious. It is dirty, mean, hard, job and it sucks.. read more
Justsimplyjulia

10 Years Ago

Thank you for those words. For as long as i can remember, Remembrance day has always meant a lot to .. read more
ron

10 Years Ago

You are taking on a big role going in. Not all the hero's have served, some of them are the ones tha.. read more
This is a very poignant piece of writing. You did very well at placing your mind from the world you know into the world a soldier must endure, a world very unlike how war is glamorized by the media.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Justsimplyjulia

10 Years Ago

Thank you for that kind review! I have quite an enjoyable taste for military and war poetry...
.. read more
This is beautiful and heart-wrenching...but again, I found a grammar error. It's in one of the last paragraphs: You wrote "We aboard our trains", but really it should just be "We board our trains". I thought I would point it out, because the grammar is the only thing I can see that is detracting to your writing, and I would like to help you become the best writer you could possibly be. Clearly you have a gift. I hope you continue writing and look forward to reading more of your pieces.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Justsimplyjulia

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Makenna!
-Dragon
A nice essay if i do say so myself...

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 29, 2013
Last Updated on November 11, 2013

Author

Justsimplyjulia
Justsimplyjulia

Leamington, Ontario, Canada



About
unknown more..

Writing