Why?

Why?

A Poem by Jennifer
"

Why are things like this?

"
Why did we ever have slavery?
We kidnapped people from their homes
Why?
We beat and tortured and sold humans
Why did we think they were animals?
Why?
Why couldn't we have loving relationships with each other?
Why?
Slavery was abolished 
Free people were left in a country that their families had no choice to be in
Why do we have the gumption to treat them like criminals?
Why? 
They are segregated, hung, and tortured some more because of the color of their skin
Why? 
They are human beings
We are all human beings
Same species
Why do we treat them differently?
Why can't we teach the children what happened?
Why?
Are you afraid they will ask you why?
How come you are not asking the past generation why?
Is the past generation asking why?
Why are their smiling faces in lynch mobs?
Why are there faces smiling at inhumanity? 
Why do we continue to smile in the face of cruelty instead of fighting back against it?
Why?
Why do you stand there with your phone filming it?
Why aren't you fighting for them?
Why aren't you fighting for me?
Why aren't you fighting along with everyone else?

© 2016 Jennifer


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your poem raises a vital question which may be applicable for all countries,societies and communities of the world.
Confession,regret and practice of humane attitude are necessary to term these social or political institutes as civilized entities.
Thank you Jennifer for addressing an important issue.

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Your poem raises a vital question which may be applicable for all countries,societies and communities of the world.
Confession,regret and practice of humane attitude are necessary to term these social or political institutes as civilized entities.
Thank you Jennifer for addressing an important issue.

Posted 10 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A lot of whys. I read a good book about thee color black in european history which made a lot of excuses. I am glad you write this

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jennifer

1 Year Ago

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback and information.
Nice freestyle poem with raw honesty. Your thoughts in this show how easily you can express emotion. I would like to read more to get another taste.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jennifer

2 Years Ago

Thank-you, I really appreciate that
'Why did we ever have slavery', a really difficult question to answer. Why some people thought they were entitled to own the lives of others is completely beyond me. It is abhorrent, and yet it hasn't gone away has it? We still have modern day slavery today. That's why I believe statues should stay in place with a plaque accompanying them, highlighting the wrongs of the past. Not trying to forget what took place. An interesting and topical read.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jennifer

2 Years Ago

I agree. There was this painting at usps in Preston Idaho. It was about the Bear River Massacre. Peo.. read more
Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Absolutely, history needs to be remembered, even if it is unsavoury. That's how we learn.
I've heard it said and argued that people as a whole are a lazy group - meaning they want things done for them. And for a select few that likely has always been the case. But also many people thrive on personal assumptions of power and CONTROL - economic, social, political, and real. What is actually more powerful than controlling another sentient being? And thinking it through - such "people" banded together and made LAWS that everyone was made to obey to enforce the actions taken ...and the penalties WERE life and death fraught. Think on it again - History has ever been replete with Royals, Emperors, privilege - dynasties of BIRTH-right and serfdom. Democracy is always new and very fledgling... how often HAVE the slaves fought back and won and yet they (and WE) have installed the beginnings of their/our own aristocracies and political demagoguery... in place even today as we await our own demise.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jennifer

3 Years Ago

I couldn't agree more
Planet x

2 Years Ago

Good question, wonder if you will ever find answers
Powerful writing , made me think
.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 13, 2016
Last Updated on August 13, 2016

Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have been writing stories since the first grade and published a couple of stories on Biblioboard. I earned an Associates degree in Communication Arts at University of Phoenix. You can also find .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jennifer


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jennifer



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..