Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Jennifer

Chapter Five

     The day started off like any other day in Canada. People woke up for the big deal of the day. As they were shopping the ground began to shake.

     The walls of the store shook. Light fixtures swayed back and forth. Peopled scattered and ran for cover. The shaking stopped and then there were a number of aftershocks that followed.

     Everyone in the store remained still and waited for any further quakes. The store managers came out in a daze and told everyone that it was safe to leave the store and return home.

     Cautiously, everyone went home. The computer systems went down due to the quake. Very few radio stations were on the air and stations that were on had a distorted. The quakes had reached all over Canada and at that moment that was all that they knew.

     When people made it home to their loved ones they turned on the television hoping that they would at least have reception. Prime Minister John Beaulieu was holding a press conference. The journalists were frantically asking him questions.

     “What happened?” they asked him. They believed that it was strange that he was holding a press conference after so much as an earthquake. Buildings were still standing and nobody died. That was unless there was something major that happened.

     “We found the source of the quake that shook our country today,” said Beaulieu. “There was a nuclear attack on America this morning.”

     Everyone in the room gasped. A buzz of people talking filled the room. Beaulieu held up his hand.

     “The important thing to do is to not panic,” he said. “During this time of distress there may be survivors who may need our assistance.”

     “We can’t take anyone else in,” said a reporter. “You’re not planning on providing shelter to them are you? They will bring the radiation in with them.”

     “If it comes to that they will be welcome and provided the appropriate medical care,” he said. “Right now, I’m calling on volunteers to attend to the needs of the victims of this vicious attack should they come here.”

     “They have their own emergency team,” said another reporter.

     He held up his hand again as though he was silencing them, “There’s more.” Everyone began to quiet down. “The attack affected areas of Canada that are close to America. The impact of the bombs did cause damage in areas such as Sydney, Cornwall, and Montreal.”

     “Wait a minute,” the reporter stopped him. “You are talking about towns on the East and West coast of Canada. Am I imagining this? How big was this attack?”

     “We don’t know how big the attack was,” he said. “There is word from the East and West that there was some kind of attack and there is disturbing footage. I am calling upon volunteers and the military to assist in this terrible situation.”

     “Why should we be helping the United States when we should be helping our own?” asked another reporter.

     Beaulieu shook his head with annoyance, “We will be coming to the aid of fellow Canadians. Right now, we have deployed our military to towns and cities that were affected severely by the attack. We just need to also anticipate survivors coming here for refuge and medical assistance.”

     There was a murmur among the crowd. One reporter stood. Beaulieu gave him his direct attention.

     “What about the radiation that they will bring in?” the reporter asked.

     “Radiation is already present and even more so after the attack,” he replied.

     “What are we supposed to be doing right now?” asked the reporter.

     “Help those in need,” he answered. “Volunteer and assist. Check in with your friends and families. Most importantly, stay calm.”

     “Should we worry about radiation illness?” the reporter asked.

     Beaulieu paused, “I have not received word if we should be concerned. I would strongly suggest against just taking any medication. You should wait for the recommendation to take it.”

     The press conference came to a close. Beaulieu quickly retreated to his office where it was quiet. What on earth happened? He could only suspect that the entire event was instigated and it was instigated by someone insane.

     His press agent entered the office and sat across from him. She was writing furiously in her notebook. Beaulieu sat with his fingertips pressed together.

     “Sometimes,” he broke the silence. She stopped and looked at him. “Sometimes I believe that they are not listening.”

     “As long as they get the message across it will be okay,” she said.

     The military advisor stepped into the office. Beaulieu stood and pointed to one of the chairs. The advisor grabbed water from the mini fridge and sat down.

     “We might be looking at retaliation,” said the advisor.

     Beaulieu raised his eyebrows, “The attack wasn’t directed at us.”

     “No, but the blast reached us,” he said. “The military bases may have been targeted in the United States. We can’t even communicate with them and they are supposed to have the best technology. If they were attacked they are going to need assistance.”

     “We won’t know until they can communicate with us,” Beaulieu sighed. “Just keep trying to keep in touch with them.”



© 2021 Jennifer


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on October 28, 2021
Last Updated on October 28, 2021


Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have been writing stories since the first grade and published a couple of stories on Biblioboard. I earned an Associates degree in Communication Arts at University of Phoenix. You can also find .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jennifer


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jennifer