Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

A Chapter by Jennifer

Chapter Seven

     Warm butter covered the pancakes that sat in front of Olive, but she didn’t have the heart or appetite to eat. She watched the footage of the store doors opening on Black Friday. The footage started with people raiding the store and then there was a flash and it was the end of the video.

     Journalists from the Midwest traveled to the east and west coast of America to see what happened that fateful day. They covered the rescue efforts close to ground zero. Olive watched the videos of rescue workers in Idaho, Utah, and Nevada.

     There was a blockade that blocked off the east and west coast of America. Evidently, the blockade was no match for inquisitive journalists. As they headed further west they discovered more of the demolition and captured pictures of bones of humans and animals as well as where the living once stood before the blast.

     The journalists did not heed to the warnings of death from the carnage remaining from the atomic blast. As they arrived closer to ground zero their equipment began to malfunction. The journalists became sick and most of them turned back even though it was too late.

     “I don’t want to watch anymore of this,” said Olive. She feared watching the death of a reporter. “Were more survivors rescued from Idaho?”

     Dan shook his head, “I’m not sure. The rescue efforts are ongoing.”

     He changed the channel. There were rescue crews trying to clear the roads to the mountains. They were moving as quickly as possible because there were fires racing throughout the region.

     Olive sat up in horror. She wondered if anyone survived up there. Dan changed the channel hoping to find something more pleasant to watch besides the aftermath and the white noise.

     “I have to go up there,” said Olive.

     “Up where?” asked Dan.

     “My grandparents live in the mountains,” she said.

     “You’re not going to find anyone except for ashes,” he turned off the television.

     “We don’t know that,” she said. “They said that fires were scattered throughout the region.”

     “When the blast happened, most people fled up north,” he said. “Most of the survivors searched for anyone else who survived. Rescue crews arrived and began to bring people up north and to the Midwest. There was an avalanche in the mountains. The rescue crews had no choice, but to bring additional survivors to other states. Then the rescue efforts began in the mountains. As they tried to remove the debris smoke began to fill the roads from forest fires. Most of the roads were cleared so far and they have yet to locate anyone who survived or to find a town that is still standing.”

     “Where am I?” Olive reminded him that she still did not know where she was.

     “You mean nobody has told you?” Dan looked at her surprised. Olive shook her head. “You’re in Wyoming. It’s one of the closest places that had a medical facility that we could bring you to.”

     “Are you serious?” she asked. “I can’t really be that far away from home.”

     “There wasn’t anything closer,” he sighed. “I don’t know if we will ever be able to make it back home.”

     “What if the rest of my family is up in the mountains?” she asked. “Are they still clearing the roads? I don’t even know how new the news was that we just watched.”

     “I’m not sure,” said Dan. “We can’t even go back.”

     “I’m going,” said Olive.

     “How are you going to get up there?” he asked. “I know that you do not feel well and you have a cast on your leg.”

     “The rescue crews are still going there,” she said. “I can go with them.”

     “They are running out of crews to send,” he told her. “You will also get in the way. Your illness will only get worse.”

     “Dan, if I’m going to die I’m going to die where my family is,” she said. “Where can I find a rescue crew?”

     The lady came back into the room, “Brad is going to be headed that way soon. He has family that way.”

     “Joyce, he only brings back horror stories,” said Dan.

     Joyce nodded, “Do you want to meet him and ask him for a ride?”

     Olive nodded. Joyce led her to the side of the cafeteria. Some people watched them with a nervous eye as they passed.

     Joyce stopped by a table where a middle aged man sat. He eyed Olive as he sipped his coffee. He gave Joyce a hug. He pulled a couple of seats out for them to sit down on.

     “Came by to say hi for old time sake?” he sat and dug into his plate.

     “Are you headed up to the mountain?” Joyce asked.

     Brad shrugged, “I’m not sure. I’m starting to get worn out. There’s still a little bit to clean up.  I might go again, but they are limiting everyone’s visit. My family is trapped up there.”

     She pointed at Olive, “Brad, this is Olive. She says that his family is trapped up there. Can you bring her up there?”

     “You’re young and have a life to live,” he told Olive.

     “Grandma and Grandpa Lee live up there,” she said.

     Brad nodded as he wiped his fingers with a napkin, “You’re related to the Lee’s?” Olive nodded and Brad sighed. “I’m not sure if you want to see what is up there.”

     “I’ve seen so much so far,” said Olive.

     He set down his mug and put on his rugged cowboy hat, “The illness is not as terrifying as what is up the mountain. There were bodies floating in the river.”

     “Sir, I’m already living in this nightmare,” she said after the image passed her mind.

     He stood from his seat, “Okay, let’s go.” He hugged Joyce one more time. “It was really nice seeing you.”

     “Drive safe,” she said.



© 2021 Jennifer


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
Added on October 28, 2021
Last Updated on October 28, 2021


Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have been writing stories since the first grade and published a couple of stories on Biblioboard. I earned an Associates degree in Communication Arts at University of Phoenix. You can also find .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jennifer


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jennifer