Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine

A Chapter by Jennifer

Chapter Twenty - Nine

     “Some Americans traveled to Russia for DNA tests,” said Tonya spoke into her mic. “All are curious as to what the reclusive country North Korea was up to following the attacks on our country.”

     Tonya stood near a clinic where a long line of people stood. The people who were standing in line held a picture of their loved ones they lost in the attack. Nurses were walking down the line to collect information and swabbing each person’s mouth.

     “Some people could not afford to travel abroad,” Tonya stated. “Instead they mailed DNA kits. Many kits are stacked as far as the eye can see.”

     Delivery trucks arrived at the clinic to deliver more packages. Boxes were piled to the ceiling at the drop off. People were waiting for results after a sample was taken from them.

     “With all of these samples how long will people be waiting?” asked Bill. “Doesn’t it take a few days?”

     “There have been advances in technology over the past fifteen years,” said Tonya. “It can be a matter of a couple of hours for the results.”

     Thomas watched the reporter from the line. He felt tired from the jet lag. He had to request some time off for the event. As he waited he began to feel groggier.

     A nurse approached him, “Excuse me? Thomas Rasphoumy?” He jerked up from falling asleep. “The results are in and someone very important wants to speak with you.”

     “May I ask who?” he asked her.

     The nurse smiled, “Luskin wishes to speak with you.”

     “May I ask why?” he asked.

     “He is interested in speaking with you,” she repeated. “Your DNA shows a strong relation to Sky. He is especially interested in the picture that you have of your sister Sonya.”

     A cab arrived for Thomas and brought him to a large building. He was greeted by security who led him to Luskin’s office. They shook hands and Luskin asked him to sit.

     “So, what is it that you plan on doing with the clones?” Thomas asked.

     “We don’t have any plans.” said Luskin. “Right now, they are safe and sound. They are under a watchful eye. For now, I am interested in learning about you. Tell me about yourself.”

     “Is there some kind of adoption process?” he asked.

     Luskin smiled and nodded, “Sky has primarily been communicating with me. She is what you may call an advisor. Sky seems to be the strong and dominant one. She might be the leader of this large group. Her and two other clones planned and carried out the attack on North Korea. It’s curious how a large group of teens carried out an attack on a country.”

     “I was unaware that any clones were made,” said Thomas. “I was in a bunker on Black Friday when we were attacked. In less than two weeks North Korean soldiers were walking on American soil. They gathered around a few corpses and then they left. Soon after I found out that my sister’s body was found in rubble with a patch of skin removed. That was a common thing that was found on the bodies that the soldiers gathered around.”

     “Interesting,” Luskin muttered. “What were you doing in a bunker? Clearly, people were oblivious to the attack that was going to happen. What is it that you do?”

     “I was guarding President Wolfe, sir,” said Thomas. “I’m a, well, was a secret service agent.”

     “You don’t sound so sure,” he smirked.

     “I'm supposed to be retiring soon,” he stated.

     “Can’t seem to let you go?” Luskin asked. “You seem to be an important asset since you are still working there. You must be paid very well.”

     “Money is of no value to me,” said Thomas. “Especially, since it was during a time that we were attacked. What’s the use when everyone is dead?”

     “He saw that as a good thing,” stated Luskin.

     Thomas shook his head, “He tried as much as possible to ensure that only he is protected and not betrayed.”

     “He made an effort to rid himself of any naysayers,” he commented. “How is he, if you don’t mind me asking?”

     “He’s gone reclusive since meeting with the UN,” Thomas answered. “I haven't’ seen him for a few years. I don’t really know where he is to be honest.”

     Luskin nodded, “That’s what I understand.” He flagged down his secretary and whispered in her ear. She nodded and left the room. “Sky is waiting to meet you.”

     “Do you mind if I ask what is going to happen to all of these children?” he asked.

     “Right now, we are giving the children hope,” he said. “They all speak Korean so they have to be educated if they plan to start a life elsewhere. The only thing that we are confirming is if they were cloned.”

     “Can’t be too safe,” Thomas muttered.

     “I have sources who told me that there is an uprising in the United States. Would you be aware of it?” asked Luskin.

     “I am certain there are groups out there, but people are penalized for even saying anything discouraging about President Wolfe,” Thomas pointed out.

     “May I ask what your feelings are about Wolfe?” he asked.

     “I don’t have an opinion about him, sir,” said Thomas. “It’s my duty to protect him.”

     Misha entered the room. Luskin waved and nodded at her. She leaned out of the door and spoke to someone in a different room. Sky was led into the room.

     Thomas stood and smiled at her. Sky shyly smiled back. Misha whispered to Sky.

     Thomas chuckled, “God, she looks just like my sister when she was younger.”

     Misha smiled and approached him with Sky in tow, “Pleased to meet you, Mr. Rasphoumy. Sky is pleased to meet you to.”

     Thomas opened his arms for a hug. Sky seemed to be a little shocked by this action. Misha spoke to her and nodded. Sky hugged Thomas.

     “Wow, this is unreal,” Thomas gave her a bear hug and let her go to look at her face. “They really cloned us.”

     “Would you or anyone in your family be interested in taking her home?” asked Luskin.

     “What kind of situation are we looking at here?” he asked him.

     Luskin motioned for everyone to sit, “There is a huge dilemma on our hands. Because they used nuclear weapons, the surrounding areas are facing radioactive clouds settling in. South Korea would take them in, but the children may face suspicion there. It’s the same thing in China and Japan. It’s possible that these children may be looking at a war crime. Political officials are breathing down my neck about what needs to be done about these juvenile militants.”

     “That’s really scary,” Thomas commented.

     “We have a really huge science and political project,” he said. “Scientists want to research this marvel and possibly conduct experiments on clones. Just think of body parts that we can replace, they say. These children are sick with leukemia. Nobody has considered if an ailment will make it impossible to conduct this research on.”

     “Is Sky sick?” asked Thomas.

     Luskin shook his head, “No, but a majority of the children are. This means that it is costing Russia extra money to house all of these children.”

     “What can I do?” he asked.

     “Everyone is looking for who is at fault,” said Luskin. “North Korea caused this grief in America and paid the price. Wolfe instigated this problem. My experts can help locate Wolfe. You have clearance; you can lead the masses to him to eliminate him.”

     “I don’t like that idea,” Thomas scratched his head.

     “Wolfe has been in power for too long,” Luskin reminded him. “The presidential term was supposed to be for four years. According to everything that has happened the term probably should have been shorter. It’s his money that has been keeping him where he is. Money speaks in loud volumes, but not as loud as the voice of the people. That is why it continues to silence America. Don’t you want your government back?”

     Thomas looked at Sky. She smiled at him. What was the price that everyone had to pay? In a way his sister was back, but she was irreplaceable. He was angry that he lost his sister in the first place. Now, he felt violated that North Korea killed her and took a piece of her.

     “I need to think this through,” he said.

     Luskin nodded, “Go ahead and sleep on it.”

     “If Americans are going to take them in what will it cost?” he asked.

     He shook his head, “I already know that there will be a cost. Some have leukemia and that will have medical costs. There’s air fare to fly them over. The children need an education. There is the possibility that there will be legal fees for lawyers. It’s like any adoption process overseas.”

     Thomas smiled at Sky, “I’ll think about it.”



© 2021 Jennifer


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
Added on November 13, 2021
Last Updated on November 13, 2021


Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have been writing stories since the first grade and published a couple of stories on Biblioboard. I earned an Associates degree in Communication Arts at University of Phoenix. You can also find .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jennifer


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jennifer