Chapter Thirty Five

Chapter Thirty Five

A Chapter by Jennifer

Chapter Thirty - Five

     Zelma sat drumming her fingers impatiently. She was waiting on the phone for Luskin. There was no way she was going to communicate online or through snail mail. She certainly didn’t appreciate being on hold waiting.

     It was disrespectful. It seemed that he was trying to pull a fast one. Zelma was not in the mood for any games. She wanted to get straight to the point.

     She covered the phone, “Can you get me some coffee? I don’t know how long I’ll be on here.”

     Her assistant poured coffee and creamer into a mug, “You’ve only been on the phone for ten minutes.”

     “Thanks,” Zelma accepted the mug. “Ten minutes too long. I have other things to be attending to right now. Luskin is wasting my time.”

     “Like meeting with Lena Wolfe?”” she reminded her.

     Zelma massaged the bridge of her nose with irritation, “God, that’s today?”

     She heard someone pick up the line, “President Scott?”

     She waved her assistant out of the room, “President Luskin?”

     “Thank-you for holding Mrs. President,” he said. “I’m glad I am finally meeting you. I think that it would be better to meet you in person.”

     “I’d have to bring my entourage and that would be expensive,” said Zelma. “I’m glad that I finally have a chance to meet you.”

     “How can I help you today?” he asked. “As you already know I am busy.”

     “Just like you I am busy as well,” she stated. “I wanted to address the letter that you sent me about the clones. It seems that you have other plans in mind for these children. I don’t have any time for this at all. So, let’s cut to the chase. What do you want?”

     “I want you to cover the expenses for the children,” he told her. “We’re not just going to take care of them and give them to America.”

     “No,” she said.

     “Excuse me?” he asked.

     “You heard me,” Zelma said. “First of all, we did not create them. Second, they are from North Korea. Third, you chose to take them in when they were in the middle of the ocean. Fourth and most importantly, Americans spent money on traveling and genetic testing. I am certain that you have provided nothing for free and you are scamming our country.”

     “We are not paying to send them over there,” Luskin said. “Are you calling me a fraud?”

     Zelma snorted, “I’m sure that everyone is aware of adoption expenses. I suspect that you are using these children as leverage. I’m not calling you a fraud. I’m saying that we are not forking over more money.”

     “They will not be going to your country then,” he said. “I don’t know what you will be telling your citizens.”

     “Oh, I’m going to have to disappoint them,” she said with dry sarcasm. “It was their choice to spend their money. Besides, many believe that politicians break promises. I wouldn’t be the first.”

     “Always an answer to everything,” he muttered.

     “I’m sorry?” Zelma didn’t catch what he said.

     He sighed, “I really have a tight schedule. Maybe we can talk again later. Maybe when you change your mind?”

     “I assume that we will probably not hear from each other again. It was nice meeting you,” she said.

     “Likewise,” he grumbled and hung up.

     She hung up the phone, “That went well.”

     Faye entered the room, “Lena Wolfe is here to meet with you.”

     “I honestly don’t have anything that I want to discuss with the Wolfes,” she grumbled.

     “Mrs. President, really?” Faye gave her a stern look.

     Zelma smirked, “She didn’t stop President Wolfe’s fifteen year reign.”

     “We don’t know what was going on behind the scenes,” she said. “It’s not the point.”

     Zelma sighed, “Okay, but can you warm up my mug? Preferably something that is stronger than coffee.”

     “I’m not sure if we have anything else,” said Faye. “Come this way. She is in the conference room.”

     “What about secret service?” she asked her.

     “Already in the room waiting for you,” she led her down the hall.

     Faye opened the door to the conference room. She peeked inside and spoke to everyone in the room. She looked at Zelma and waved for her to enter the room.

     Zelma entered the room where everyone was standing and waiting to greet her. Lena smiled at her as she held out her hand. Zelma shook her hand.

     “Please sit,” Zelma said warmly as she sat down. Lena sat down. “How have you been?”

     “I have been good,” said Lena. “Congratulations on becoming the first woman president. Our country is going through a thrilling time.”

     “Or a relieving time,” said Zelma. “Can you remind me on what this meeting is about?”

     “As the former first lady I want to offer some assistance,” she said.

     “Thank-you, but we have been re-establishing everything just fine without your aid,” Zelma said politely.

     “I am aware that Americans had gone through some trouble to learn of their relation to the clones that Joowon Yoon created,” she said. “There were Americans who fulfilled Luskin’s mission, yet there are no clones here. It’s been months since my husband was killed. He made an effort to hide, but somehow he was found.”

     “I’m sorry for your loss, I really am,” she told her. “What is the point?”

     “My point is that I can help,” said Lena. “We have connections with Russia.”

     “So, I've heard,” Zelma said coolly. “What makes you think that I want to work with a family who has tainted the White House?”

     “My husband was the one who communicated with Russia,” she said. “That was his doing and he was the one who signed the bills. I tried to keep everything the way previous elected officials intended. The fact that Wolfe was my husband and me being from another country made it challenging to act as first lady.”

     “So, you are aware of these connections and you still communicate with them,” Zelma crossed her arms. “I’m not buying that we can trust you. What’s in it for you?”

     “There is nothing that I can do about what happened,” said Lena. “In fact, it was Ronald’s idea to place Bianca in his position. She was in control and she communicated with Russia. That was how Russia knew where to find Wolfe. They traced us here.”

     “So, Russia sent information to the rebels to go kill him after they were left with the clones,” Zelma sighed. “How do we know that the same thing will not happen to us?”

     “I’m not sure,” said Lena. “Before the rebels arrived someone from Russia was talking to Bianca about the clones. The individual warned her that Luskin may retaliate against Wolfe if we did not cooperate.”

     Zelma thought for a moment, “She’s not going to help us unless we let her out of prison.”

     “Unless she believes that she will be let out of prison,” said Lena.

     “Why would you want to trick your own daughter?” Zelma asked.

     “Because she wouldn’t have cared if I was killed when the rebels arrived,” she answered.

     “So, how do you propose that we ask for assistance from Bianca?” she asked.

     “I struck up a deal with our top secret service agent,” Lena grinned. “Jackson was there when I turned off the life support. He was going to turn me in, but I threatened to turn him in for aiding in treason.”

     “Wasn’t Bianca there to?” Zelma asked.

     “She was,” Lena nodded. “She was too busy yelling at the man who was standing next to the president. After she was taken into custody, everyone was questioned. As we waited, Jackson badgered me and told me that I was in so much trouble. I told him that his crime was worse. I just did what was best for our country.”

     “Why was the other man charged with murdering the president then?” Zelma inquired. “Why didn’t Jackson turn you in?”

     “The other man did remove the life support from Wolfe,” she explained. “I just did not put it back on him and I just simply turned off the machine. There was really nothing that could be done over not taking any action. Jackson didn’t say anything because he knew that there was nothing he could do and he realizes that he did something wrong by not saying anything about Bianca acting as president.”

     “May I ask how Jackson is going to help us?” she asked.

     “Jackson has been talking to Bianca,” said Lena. “Nothing was said about her telling the rebels to go ahead and shoot me. If anything is said then the penalty will be harsher on her for threatening the life of the first lady.”

     Zelma leaned back in her chair, “What kind of deal do you have with Jackson? It seems that he is a traitor and possibly a backstabber.”

     “Charges were not pressed on Jackson because he stated that he was unaware,” explained Lena. “Bianca went to prison since she was posing as the president. He is holding the information over her head that she threatened me and I am holding it over his head for what he did. I told him that if he helps us gain custody of the clones that we could clear his record and possibly free Bianca.”

     “We will work together,” said Zelma. “Keep in mind that I have witnesses in this room. Any suspicious action and you will be sharing the same cell as Bianca.”

     “You have my word,” said Lena. “You will not regret this decision.”



© 2021 Jennifer


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on November 16, 2021
Last Updated on November 16, 2021


Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have been writing stories since the first grade and published a couple of stories on Biblioboard. I earned an Associates degree in Communication Arts at University of Phoenix. You can also find .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jennifer


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jennifer