Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Jennifer

     They arrived at Max’s house and he was already ready to go. He was outside putting his bags and cooler into his car. Max saw them pull up.

     Trent looked at his car with skepticism, “Are we going in your car?”

     Max smirked, “Hmmm, yeah. Mine can fit all of us along with our luggage. Unless you want us to be crammed into your car.”

     Dana said, “He’s right, you know.”

     He looked at his Honda Accord and at Max’s Acura MDX. They  took their luggage out of Trent’s car and put it into Max’s car. They all piled into the car and they were off. They stopped by a gas station to fill up. Trent seemed to pout.

     Max looked at him and said, “Don’t worry; your car is safe at my house.”

     “Did you check everything before we left?” Trent asked him.

     “Of course, I did,” he told him. “It’s a long drive and it’s cold out.”

     “It’s a nice, roomy car! What are you worried about?” asked Dana.

     “Well, it’s older,” said Trent. “No offense, but I’m not sure if the Max has made sure everything is safe.”

     Max snorted, “You know how I take care of my cars.”

     “Exactly my point,” said Trent.

     “That one car has was a lemon,” Max pointed out.

     “You can’t control that,” said Magda.

     “He could have not bought it,” said Trent.

     “Does it mean I don’t take care of anything,” said Max. “You’re so judgmental.”

     “Sorry,” Trent apologized.

     They continue to drive. They drove past long roads lined with large fields. They drove through few small towns. They were met with more empty fields.

     One field could be seen from a distance. It was starting to get dark. It seemed strange to them that they could see it.

     There is a subtle, blue orb that surrounded this cornfield. There was an enormous bounce house next to the field.

    “What in the world?” Max passed it with awe.

     “Looks like a corn maze,” said Magda.

     “Anyone want to check this out? Max asked and stopped at the side of the road.

     “I’m not sure,” said Dana. “Is starting to get dark and it doesn’t look like its open.”

     “Yeah, it’s odd how dark it is already,” said Trent.

     “What time did we leave?” Magda asked.

     “I think it was about noon?” Max said.

     Magda saw a couple of horses and a wagon going into the corn maze. Magda pointed at the horses, but nobody acknowledged her.

     “Someone is getting a ride over there,” Magda mentioned.

     “Where? Like a hayride?” asked Dana.

     “I don’t know, I don’t think so,” she said. “It looks like a covered wagon.”

     “Let’s get going,” said Trent.

     They get back into the car. Max turned the key and the car made a subtle clattering sound and did not start. He tried again and the car did not come to life.

     Trent gave Max the stink eye. Max grumbled and sighed. There was an awkward silence.

     “Maybe the people at the corn maze can help us,” Dennis suggested.

     They exited the car and began walking toward the maze. Magda was thankful she brought her coat because it was chilly outside. She felt a tiny, frosty droplet on her hand.

     She said, “I think it’s going to snow.”

     “Don’t say that,” grumbled Max.

     White snowflakes began to float down from the sky. The group sighed and continued. When they reach the corn maze, nobody was there.

     “They are closed,” Magda said.

     “I don’t see why,” said Dana. “It’s not Halloween yet.”

     “Maybe they are quarantined,” said Trent.

     “How are we going to fix the battery now?” Max asked.

     “Let’s go back to the car and think it through,” said Trent.

     “I swear I saw someone,” said Magda.

     They headed back to the car. It seemed to get colder outside in the snow fall was heavier. He went back inside the car.

     “You have anything to jump the battery, do you?” asked Dana as she rubbed her hands together.

     “No,” Max muttered. “This is the safest car. I wasn’t expecting this.”

     “It’s okay, we’ll figure this out and,” said Trevor.

     “We are clearly a long ways away from civilization,” said Max. “It means we will either need to walk in this crap or Colin Huber or something.”

     They looked around. The car hasn’t spotted hasn’t passed them in a while. It didn’t look like anyone would be stopping to help them.

     “Maybe we can go to that house over there,” said Trent.

     “That looks like it’s far away,” said Max. “It’s snowing and you’re not wearing the appropriate attire.”

     “It’s closer than a store,” said Trent.

     “I’ll go over to the house,” said Magda.

     “I’ll come with,” said Max.

     They got out of the car and headed toward the house. As they walked, a cowboy approached them. They stopped to wait for him.

     “Hello? Do you live here?” Magda asked him.

     The cowboy stopped, “No we’re passing through. We’re a little bit lost.”

     “You wouldn’t happen to know where the nearest AutoZone is?” asked Max. “Or can you give us a jump?”

     The cowboy seemed lost, “I’m not sure what you’re talking about. I’ve never heard of any of those. Autozone and a jump?”

     “How did you get out here then?” Max asked.

     The cowboy smirked, “I’m still not sure. I’m really confused. How did you get here?”

     “How did we get here?” Max asked.

     “I’m sorry, but can we stop arguing? We need to get some help,” said Magda. “Sir, I’m sorry about my friend here. My name is Magda.”

     “I’m John,” he said. “I’m not much help as I need help myself. Do you know where I am?”

     “I believe we are in Winnemucca,” Max said.

     “Winnemucca?” John scratched his head. “I think we’re way off then.”

     “Can we give you a ride? We have a map,” said Magda.

     “Magda,” Max groaned.

     “You folks seem really strange,” said John.

     “See? He thinks we’re strange,” he said. “He can’t help us with the car.”

     “Well, can we just go then?” asked Magda. “It looks like nobody is home anyway. There are no cars and no lights on.”

     “I have a map in my car that you can have,” Max told John.

     “Thank you, that would be great,” said John.

     They walked all back to the car. John had a look of bewilderment on his face. Max grabbed a map from the glovebox.

     He handed him the map, “it’s a beauty isn’t it? I got a great deal.”

     John nodded in fascination. He unfolded the map and he seemed to be more confused. He muttered something about the devil, but they could not hear him.

     He handed the map back, “I can’t accept this.”

     “Why not? We have GPS,” said Max.

     John’s eyes teared up, “I have to get back. I don’t know what I’m going to tell them.”

     “What’s wrong? “” asked Magda.

     John walked back to the corn maze. Max grumbled with frustration. Trent and Dana just sat watching the spectacle.

     Trent pointed at John, “what was that about?”

     “I don’t know,” Max stared at the strange cowboy. “He’s a hobo, I guess.”

     “We don’t know that,” said Magda.

     “Yes, we do,” Max argued. “He’s in the middle of nowhere without a car.”

     Trent shook his head and started tapping his fingers on his cell phone. Max and Magda sat down in the car. It was quiet except for Trent’s phone clicking.

     “I’m not seeing any drivers nearby in my apps,” said Trent.

     “Was anyone at the house or is that where that crazy cowboy came from,” Dana asked.

     “The cowboy came from the corn maze,” said Max.

     “Maybe he was the owner of the house,” said Magda.

     “Seriously?” Max glared at her. “Who would leave teenagers in the middle of nowhere in the freezing cold? He’s a squatter.”

     “Does anyone know someone close by we can call for help?” Trent asked.

     “My uncle is a ways from here,” said Max.

     “Great,” Trent muttered.

     “That snow is really coming down,” said Dana.

     “I’m calling my mom,” said Magda.

     She dialed her mother. She picked up, but the signal was not clear. Her mom tried calling, but the call was disconnected. “I can’t get in touch. I think we might have a poor signal.”

     Max tried calling his uncle, but he had a poor signal as well. Trent and Dana tried to call home, but they could not call either.

     Max looked at Trent, “I hope you brought warm clothes.”

     Trent reached into the back and looked through his suitcase. He nodded and began changing his shoes and put on a coat.

     “Were going to that house,” Trent said firmly.

     Everyone got out of the car. Magda grabbed her charger and a snack from the cooler. Everyone else thought that was a good idea and also grabbed food from the cooler. They went to the house.

     Trent walked up the stairs to the front door and knocked. The wooden screen door rattled. Nobody came to the door and no lights turned on. He tried to ring the doorbell, but there was no sound. He knocked and waited for a little bit longer.

     “Nobody’s home,” Trent came back down to the group.

     “Now what?” asked Dana.

     “Maybe we can go in and see if there is a phone?” Max said.

     Trent’s jaw dropped, “no, I refuse to have a criminal record because of you.”

     “Oh come on!” Max exclaimed. “It’s cold and if we stay in the car we will freeze to death.”

     Trent said, “No, Max there might be someone in there and we don’t know if they are armed. What if they have someone watching the house?”

     Dana began walking back to the car. Trent and Max quit arguing finally and quickly followed her. She was walking fast.

     Trent caught up to her, “what’s wrong?”

     “I want to go home,” she said.

     “Is going to be okay,” he told her.

     He climbed back into the car. They sat in silence trying to think of another idea the. The car was starting to feel cold. It has been a while since any car passed them. 



© 2022 Jennifer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm glad to see the suspense here! What a tough situation too since they all assumed they were just gonna have a good time and relax.

I'm anxious to read more. I like this!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
1 Review
Added on September 4, 2022
Last Updated on September 4, 2022


Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have been writing stories since the first grade and published a couple of stories on Biblioboard. I earned an Associates degree in Communication Arts at University of Phoenix. You can also find .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jennifer


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jennifer