Society At Large

Society At Large

A Poem by Michelle Anselm
"

A collection of short and bitter prose paragraphs concerning mainstream society's expectations of beauty, so-called "individuality", and the twisted version of "love" that permeates humanity.

"

I'm on display for the world to see. Do they look at me and see beyond the zits, frizzy hair, and excess body fat? Not likely. Our world is one of beauty queens, drama queens, and drag queens - superficiality is key - and the rest get attention. Where does this leave me? Alone and hopeless in a society of Barbie dolls and chiseled Kens.

 

What is a poseur? One who does not meet the standards of an individual? How can one be like another? And why do they deserve judgment underneath cliche makeup and hairstyles? A person is hiding, waiting to show their true colors and yet you call them poseurs - losers - abusers of fashion, when you don't even know them. And what does that make you? The "real" one?

 

What is it about people that causes them to love (or whatever they call it)? Is it their longing for companionship or their longing for a f**k-buddy? Is it lonliness or arrogance? Is it love at first sight or showing off to the rest of the cheer squad? People - no, not people - kids, getting sucked into this vicious cycle of lust and greed and possession that never lets go.

 

They make me sick.

© 2008 Michelle Anselm


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
T
I wrote something similar in feeling to me called Beyond The Superficial....people think that their value is in what they look like, or what they own...when the truest beauty that shines forth comes from compassion and kindness. I would like to say that it gets better when you are older but that would be a lie. I have met many classy people in my lifetime that hadn't a dime...and I have seen many become so much more because of the hardships they have faced. I like the passion in your writing and your obvious talent!!!
Keep writing and sharing with us!!! t

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
T
I wrote something similar in feeling to me called Beyond The Superficial....people think that their value is in what they look like, or what they own...when the truest beauty that shines forth comes from compassion and kindness. I would like to say that it gets better when you are older but that would be a lie. I have met many classy people in my lifetime that hadn't a dime...and I have seen many become so much more because of the hardships they have faced. I like the passion in your writing and your obvious talent!!!
Keep writing and sharing with us!!! t

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a piece that is full of interest because it is full of thought. It examines issues that many of us shun, and although you describe it as prose, much of it (especially the first paragraph) is very poetic in its structure - go on! Try it. This suggests to me that you have a flowing style of writing and an explorative and perceptive mind, concerned for humanity. I dislike your final isolated line. By all means have such a line for its impact, but the quality of 'They make me sick' belies the high quality of the rest of your writing. Who are 'They' ? People? Kids? Lust and greed? I liked the rhetorical questioning in the previous paragraph however and believe this to be a good piece of work which certainly got me thinking.
John

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I heartily agree with your compositions. This world is full of nasty people and full of cliches. Though there is some people that are good in this world and see beyond all the zits and frizz.

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

How much truth is such a short composition.

The society is indeed very superficial and a person's insides are not as appreciated as a person's outsides. Most people don't think too much and they follow the horde.

The pain of being ununderstood matches the facts about society.

A.M.




Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WOOT! WOOT! Way to go!!! Totally true & it's important that someone stands up & says it.
GOOD JOB!!!! :D

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

274 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 4, 2008
Last Updated on July 4, 2008


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I Hate You I Hate You

A Poem by Kia


Dear Nick Dear Nick

A Poem by Emmie M