America the Hero?

America the Hero?

A Story by melril18
"

College Essay: Does the United States have an obligation, moral or otherwise, to act as a "global police force" in the 21st century?

"

            The United States has no obligation whatsoever to be the police force of the world. No country should have any power over any other independent country. The United Nations is meant to be the “global police force.” America may be an influential piece of the UN, but it is not the United Nation in its entirety. While American resources can be helpful after natural disasters, it is not the job or duty of the United States to govern anyone but themselves. America is like a superhero who flies around rescuing people all day. The people don’t have to ask for help; they don’t even have to want it. The people are going to get the help the superhero thinks they need. He seems to have it all together on the outside but at the end of the day, he goes home to his pigsty of an apartment and drinks himself into a stupor until the next morning when he goes back to work. He is depressed, broke, and hungry. He doesn’t know how he’s going to make it through the next month. He sees people in trouble and rushes to help. This man is America. 

The United States has plenty of its own problems and it is not wise to worry about other nations and their problems as well. The conflict in Iraq occurred because the United States tried to govern more than it has reign over. The name “Operation Iraqi Freedom” says it all. America’s leaders believed that Iraq had problems and that it was their job, as the “global police,” to fix it. What American leaders don’t quite understand is that while they are out trying to fix all the problems in the Middle East, and elsewhere, their home country is barely surviving. Just like the superhero, America is depressed. Just like the superhero, American leaders don’t see the crisis they are in because they are giving all their time and worry to their foreign neighbors. Just like the superhero, American is barely holding itself together. It’s time for America to makes a change and stop living like a superhero and start living like it cares about its future and its people. The superhero’s future is very bleak. America’s future could be very bright. It’s time for America to stop worrying about the speck in her brother’s eye and start focusing on the plank in her own eye.

© 2013 melril18


Author's Note

melril18
Not looking for your political opinion. Just your opinion of my writing. Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on December 26, 2013
Last Updated on December 26, 2013

Author

melril18
melril18

OK



About
I've been told I'm very charismatic. I love God, music, dance, and people. Words fascinate me. I love life and try to make the most of it. And that's me. more..

Writing