I Do Not Wish to Hide

I Do Not Wish to Hide

A Poem by Mai L Nissen
"

Trying to accept that my resources are few when affected by depression; To plan my life around these factors to avoid going into a deeper depression that is so difficult to escape once there...

"

must in someone confide
that although I do not wish to hide,
my armour is withered and frail
- without it I surely will fail!
My body is soft and easily pierced,
and triumph quickly will turn into tears;
Weakened, I cannot sustain myself
by the means that others are so easily helped.

Vanity sometimes pushes me to ignore
the limits of my capability; which I ought to ensure
that they be indisputably respected without a cringe!
Instead of allowing upon them to be infringed
by myself and others, who do not understand
that my mind and body I cannot so easily command.

I have been living in a protective bubble
only with family and friends, to avoid unnecessary trouble.
Beyond my protected world, I have to explain
things not obvious to those without this kind of strain.
Every function is unreliable and easily breaks
and mends so slowly " heightening the stakes!

I cannot be careless, I cannot ignore
- Despite the impulses so eager to explore -
the world outside, far beyond my little shell.
Patience needed to sustain the emotional swell!
Should the well of emotion shatter, I will feel its devastation
At which point, I see no hope or will for self-preservation.

January, 2015

© 2015 Mai L Nissen


Author's Note

Mai L Nissen
Art by Ditte Løfgren
ditteloefgren.com

any constructive criticism and suggestions are well received

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Mia!! Well unshed tears were springing in my eyes after reading this... I could so connect to this poem.Never have i been so emotionally taken by any poet's work.Its may be because i am having the same struggle as you.Yea! I don't want to hide but it is hard sometimes to open up.When soul is scarred and battered when we fight to keep body and soul together when we lack means to pursue our dream..... Allk this points i have been through.I am still going through it.May be thats the reason i could connect so deeply to it.Tou touched that part of my soul which was hidden from world. A salute to you for dping it.Really words can't express what i am feeling now. *keep writing*

~Sophy

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mai L Nissen

9 Years Ago

Sophy, thank you for your lovely review! I am glad that this poem has touch something inside you - t.. read more
Sophy Freebirds

9 Years Ago

:) yes sure i know that now. Thats what fellow poets are for.Was a pleasure



Reviews

Sensitive, yet strong; that's how your poem is!
A beauty to read, your poem exactly depicts the minds of the depressed souls.
"My body is soft and easily pierced,
and triumph quickly will turn into tears;"
I felt these lines to be touchy and embracing!
Overall, an emphasizing poem ! Keep the writer within you alive, always..:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Mai L Nissen

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words, Samhitha! I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts :)
Dear Poet. Given safety. Protection or prison?
"I cannot be careless, I cannot ignore
- Despite the impulses so eager to explore -"
I believe people confuse safety and concern with control. Kids will test life and need to. Parent will try to keep safe. Good teaching from elders will give our children good base and strength to fight the world. I enjoyed the poem. Made me think. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mai L Nissen

9 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Coyote. I think you are right that there is a difference betwee.. read more
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

I did and you are welcome.
Amazing.. real life feelings being portrayed here. Great work..

Posted 9 Years Ago


Mai L Nissen

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading!
Mai, It is a wise soul that recognizes their limitations and it is a goal we all should have... I do not mean that we should not strive to be bolder when the opportunity presents itself, but pushing too hard is often the cause of extreme stress which is never healthy. As you say, the slow incremental advance is often the surest road to a better state of mind. This is a very important message and the intensity of your words bring it out into the open most eloquently. Great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mai L Nissen

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Jeff! I am glad you liked it... Well, I try to be smart about - though sometimes I do get.. read more
Mia!! Well unshed tears were springing in my eyes after reading this... I could so connect to this poem.Never have i been so emotionally taken by any poet's work.Its may be because i am having the same struggle as you.Yea! I don't want to hide but it is hard sometimes to open up.When soul is scarred and battered when we fight to keep body and soul together when we lack means to pursue our dream..... Allk this points i have been through.I am still going through it.May be thats the reason i could connect so deeply to it.Tou touched that part of my soul which was hidden from world. A salute to you for dping it.Really words can't express what i am feeling now. *keep writing*

~Sophy

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mai L Nissen

9 Years Ago

Sophy, thank you for your lovely review! I am glad that this poem has touch something inside you - t.. read more
Sophy Freebirds

9 Years Ago

:) yes sure i know that now. Thats what fellow poets are for.Was a pleasure
This write is really good, great flow and I could feel the emotions very clear.
To be struggling with depression and feel almost as if your trapped within a bubble,
and trying to manage your life all at once, must feel unbearable at times.
I enjoyed the read, but also sad for this depression you have tugging
on you, thanks for sharing and b-blessed!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mai L Nissen

9 Years Ago

Thank you, I am glad you like it :) - Well, as long as I remember to respect my limitations, it is f.. read more
You nailed it Mai, depression is "I do not wish to hide". It's hard to explain the inability to open a door to someone who has no idea that your inability is not in your hand, but in your mind. Always self-preserve, always. Your mind and everything you are, Mai, has brightened the soul of another who shares this darkness.

Thank You for Sharing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mai L Nissen

9 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! I am glad to have had a positive effect and that .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

436 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 2, 2015
Last Updated on March 2, 2015
Tags: #patience, #Strain, #tears, #emotion, #fail, #frail, #world, #hope

Author

Mai L Nissen
Mai L Nissen

Odense, Region Syddanmark, Denmark



About
I am 30 years old, a graduate student from Denmark, studying English (literature, history, linguistics) and Scientific Study of Religion. If you wish to befriend me, I would like you to read some .. more..

Writing
Murky Murky

A Poem by Mai L Nissen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..