{...for you my daughter...}

{...for you my daughter...}

A Poem by Christopher Michael Smith
"

An ode to my oldest daughter.

"

I still remember your tiny kicks in the late night hours. Your feet would glide softly from one side of your mother's belly to the opposite. I often imagined what you looked like as you grew month by month in the tiny chamber that was then your home. I daydreamed about the things we would do as we grew old together as a college professor mumbled about historical gibberish I cared nothing to know about. I contemplated what your  laugh would sound like, what color your hair and eyes were going to be, whether you would have dimples that would accent your smile, and if we were always going to be by each other's side. Those dreams quickly came to life in the early morning hours of a anxiety ridden Monday. The day when we first physically met, face to face, eye to eye, you & I. 


I was the first to caress you in that blue and white striped blanket. It made you look like a huge burrito o' baby; you were wrapped in it so snug and tight. I took you in my arms forever that moment, as we peered into each other's eyes. It's hard to describe a new Father's love for his daughter, all I knew was the innocent miracle that now rested within my loving arms. It was so hard to breath it all in as the emotions of your arrival trickled down from my eyes. Incredibly difficult to comprehend, much less to put to script, how someone can instantly feel so in love at first sight. Another living being so gracefully came to this world, to me, and accepted me for all that I am. It was the purest of magic looking deeply into those newborn eyes. Spirit brought you to me in order to enlighten me the feeling of unending, & unconditional love. 


Those days grew into weeks, which grew into months, into years, and so on and so forth to this present day. I am sure there will be times when we do not see eye to eye. I am sure there will be days when you may think you hate me for all that I am worth. Just know that I am and will be present in your life until dirt covers my empty vessel of death. To the grave my heart is with you, through the ups and the downs. I love you my dear daughter Kailey, through the Universe and beyond. My heart beats because of your presence, you give it a loving, & unique, little hum. Our kindred souls shall never part no matter the circumstance. We shine the brightest together like constellations of uncharted Suns. The heavens above sent the best kid to me. To be able to share this existence with you, full of giggles, long nights, friendly cackles, video gaming, cheerful times, and more of who knows what to come, it is truly of the brightest blessings I have yet to receive through this journey of life. There is no bond between anyone and I that can come slightly even close to matching how glad I am to have you with me on this ride. Just know that I love you when you are at the peak of your highest highs, & that I love you when you are at the lowest bottom of bottoms. 


I love you, my daughter, my little girl.

I love you from this world hereafter & into places we have yet to know.

I love you my daughter, even when you don't think so.

© 2012 Christopher Michael Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A amazing poem for your daughter. I have three daughters and understand the description in the poem. Our little girls are our babies girls forever. Thank you for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 22, 2012
Last Updated on May 22, 2012
Tags: daughter, love, father

Author

Christopher Michael Smith
Christopher Michael Smith

Clinton, NC



About
Ego sum qui sum - 'I am what I am' Poetry is my creative expression here upon this floating ball of dust called Earth. Nothing feels as appeasing as watching a pen glide across a virgin page, watc.. more..

Writing