Linda

Linda

A Story by Molly
"

It's a story about the loss of a friend.

"

I’m not the type to go around sharing other people’s secrets, but when I heard this, I just had to share it. My friend Linda had told me that she was accepted to go on a mission with our local wildlife committee to Antarctica to go see baby penguins! I love penguins, so I was freaking out. Linda told me not to tell anybody, because she, well, I have no idea why she didn’t want me telling anybody, but I had to. “Can I tell Nibbles?” I asked. Nibbles was my hamster. “No, Megan.” Linda sternly said “You can’t tell anybody. Not even Nibbles. I want this to be a secret, so keep quiet!” I told Nibbles, and a bunch of my girlfriends on Facebook, but I made them swear that they won’t tell anybody. Well yadda, yadda, yadda, Linda went to Antarctica and came back. That’s where my troubles started. You see, my Facebook friends held a huge surprise party at Linda’s house, and they didn’t invite or tell me about it. So I guess Linda shooed off everybody at her house off, and then Linda called me. “You told people! I know you did! How else would people know!?’ Linda yelled. At the time I had no idea there was a party at Linda’s house. “What are you talking about?” I questioned, “I didn’t tell anybody! Maybe somebody on the mission told people and that’s how they knew.” Linda sighed with relief “I guess you’re right. I’m sorry.” And then our conversation was over. I couldn’t sleep that night. I was too busy thinking about what I had done. Maybe Linda called some people on the mission and yelled at them. They all would have denied it, and she was stuck with a mystery on her hands. I managed to fall asleep after some rounds of solitaire on my phone. Luckily when I woke up, it was Saturday and I didn’t have to go to work. Linda called me again “Hello?” I said cheerfully. Linda on the other hand, didn’t sound so cheerful. “Hey, Megan?” She said, coldly. “I was browsing on Facebook today and I saw an interesting conversation. You see, it was you, and a bunch of other girls, and you were talking about how I was going to Antarctica. Here’s the funny part, where you make them swear not to tell anybody, and after you log off, I see the girls planning a party at my house. Does this ring a bell?” I was dead. I didn’t know what to do. I hung up. After that, I blocked Linda from me on every website I had an account on. Sometimes I would get notices saying that Linda has been trying to contact me. I ignored it all, and man, I felt so bad. I knew that just shutting everything out would just make things worse. It went on like that for about a month, and everyday I felt worse. I barfed a lot. I missed work a lot. I lost Linda as a friend. I could have made it better but I didn’t. I just shut her out of my life and there was nothing I could do about it. I started a journal and I would write down ways I could make myself feel better, but Linda was my best friend, and I lost her. I would sometimes pick a day where I would just pull up my skirt and go apologize to Linda, but every time I would chicken out. I was too afraid of what she would say to me. I knew I had to go do it or else I would never feel happy again. I had to go because Linda would never walk up to my door and say she forgives me for all I did to her. I was afraid she wouldn’t want to be my friend again, and I knew if I kept putting it off then for sure she wouldn’t want to be my friend, or maybe it was already too late. It went on and on until one day when I decided enough was enough. I went to Megan's house. By then it was winter and I had to drive to her house. I'm sure Megan was freaked out by a car that just randomly pulls up by her house. I got out of my car, and walked up to the door. It was a nice wooden door that was painted purple. I stopped to look at the door and ponder upon it. I snapped out of it and realized I had to do it. I knocked on the door. Nobody was there. I knocked again. Still nobody. I knocked a third time. Still nobody. I raised my hand to knock a fourth time, but then suddenly an old man opened the door. “Hello.” The man said in a depressed voice. “Uh, hi.” I stuttered.  “Is Linda home?”  I had no idea who the man was or why he was at Linda’s house. I didn’t think I had seen the man before. I finally realized it; he was Linda’s dad! I remembered meeting him. Usually he was nice and cheerful. This time he didn’t sound cheerful at all. “It’s Megan, right?” He asked me. “Yes.” I replied. “So is Megan home?” “I’m afraid not. You didn’t hear, did you?” I had no idea what he was talking about. What could I have possibly not heard about? They still wanted to tell me things, right? I guess not. Linda’s dad started to talk again. I could feel he had bad news to share. “Um Megan, Linda passed away a year ago of (I don’t want to say.). I wanted to tell you, but my wife wouldn’t allow it. I’m sorry.” He shut the door. I walked out not paying attention once to the purple door. I got into my car, and drove home.

© 2013 Molly


Author's Note

Molly
Please tell me anything you see wrong. This is my first piece I've ever wrote so please tell me all of my errors. I not the best at grammar...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on January 3, 2013
Last Updated on January 3, 2013

Author

Molly
Molly

Writing
Intriduction Intriduction

A Chapter by Molly


Sunlight Sunlight

A Chapter by Molly