Sunlight

Sunlight

A Chapter by Molly
"

A story about a ten year old girl named Samantha, who longs to be outside, but her parents hate the outdoors, and kept Samantha from ever seeing the sun.

"

Samantha looked out the window. All she could see were flowers. Flowers that she was not allowed to go and smell. There were trees too. Trees that she was not allowed to climb. It was all because of her parents. They HATED being outside, so Samantha wasn’t allowed to go outside. Samantha had a passion for the outdoors, though. She longed to climb the trees, and smell the roses. Her house had a beautiful garden in the back. Of course, nobody went in it. There were tulips, and roses, and every other kind of flower you could think of. Samantha was home schooled, and didn’t have any friends. Samantha was an only child, and longed for somebody to spend her days with. As a ten year old girl whose home schooled, that’s pretty hard. She had long black hair, and was very pale from almost never seeing the sun. Pure white. Her parents didn’t understand her. They thought their daughter was a strange child. They thought that their hatred of the outdoors would come out in Samantha, but the exact opposite occurred. Samantha has read all about the outdoors, she could tell you anything, except what it’s like to be outside. Her family was sick a lot, from lack of vitamin d. It was normal for them, though. One night, after Samantha finished her last book, she decided enough was enough. She walked up to the front door, turned the dusty knob, and stepped outside for the first time in her ten years of living.

 

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

It was night, so Samantha didn’t get to feel the sun on her pale skin. Instead, she roamed around the town she had lived in all her life, but never seen. It had large homes; all of them had at least two floors, and a basement and attic. It was truly amazing for her, even in the dark. She walked up to a house that had lights turned on, and there was an elderly couple in the window. She walked up to the house. She learned from her books that when you walk up to somebody’s house, you knock on the door or ring the doorbell. There was no doorbell, so she knocked. The woman opened the door. “Hello?” she said in a kind voice. Samantha knew that she was nice. “Hi. I’m Samantha Jones. I need a place to sleep, and I saw your house. Is it ok if I spend the night here?” Samantha asked. The woman looked shocked, as if she had been told she won the lottery or something. “You’re Linda and Michael’s kid! Come in! Come in!” The couple was nice, gave her some hot chocolate, because it was cold outside, and Samantha told the nice couple her story. She could barely sleep that night, because in the morning she would go outside again, and feel the sun’s rays against her cold pale skin. Finally, morning came.

 

 

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

She saw the sun for the first time. The windows were not boarded up like they were at her house. The old lady warned her “Now don’t look directly into the sun. It will make you blind!” Samantha promised she would follow her directions, and stepped outside. Samantha felt amazing. She felt alive for the first time. She felt warm, and not the usual coldness of her skin. She ran and ran about and didn’t care where she was going. She was free, as free as a bird. She finally got an idea. She ran to her house, but she didn’t go inside. Not yet. Instead she ran to the garden. She climbed over the fence, and for once she was in her family’s garden, and man, was it beautiful! There was every kind of flower, tree, and bush you could think of! She climbed every tree, and fell off of every one, too. After she had her fill of fun, she lay in the grass, and just absorbed the sunlight. She thought and thought about anything she could think of. Suddenly she got a fantastic idea; “I have to get Mother and Father out here!” She ran inside. “Mother! Father! I’m home! You need to come outside with me! It’s simply fantastic!” Her parents ran over to see their daughter. “You were - outside?” Her mother stuttered. “And you �" liked it?” Her father stuttered. “Oh it’s the most wonderful thing! You have to come with me! You have to!” Now Samantha’s parents shared a look at each other, and finally decided it was worth a shot. They walked out into the garden, and they were both shocked. They all agreed that their garden was beautiful. They ran in the grass, smelled the flowers, and climbed the trees, well; Samantha climbed the trees while her parents watched. For once, they were a normal, happy family. What’s more is, when whey went back inside, they all had tans!

  



© 2013 Molly


Author's Note

Molly
Anything you see wrong, I'll try to fix!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
Added on January 4, 2013
Last Updated on January 4, 2013
Tags: sun, girl, ten, parents, outdoors