The Lobster

The Lobster

A Story by Ethan Jobalia
"

A short story about the plight of a lobster and the life of a sea turtle

"

The Lobster

 

A lobster, crying, walked into the sea. He did not drown, for he could breathe underwater and the salty brine did not hurt his eyes. All the ocean did was mask his tears. A baby turtle swam by and, while the tears themselves were not visible any longer, it was clear to the small creature that the lobster was distraught. “Why do you seem unhappy?” asked the newborn, not fully understanding really much of anything yet.

“I am unhappy because I have realized no one likes me and I am all alone in the world,” replied the lobster sulkily.

“What makes you say that? You seem like a perfectly alright fellow,” inquired the turtle. “I’m sure you have more friends than I do, since I am last of my litter to make it to the sea, so you are the first person I have ever met.”

“While I appreciate the thought, you really could never understand the situation I am in. Everyone I know thinks I am only concerned with myself. How do you do it, young turtle, you seem genuine and thoughtful. Will you teach me to be like you?”

“I can try,” the young turtle responded, half questioning the words that came out of his mouth, “but I really am very young and I am sure I know no more than you in the ways of being a good person. Besides, it does not seem like something you can teach.”

“Nonsense,” the lobster replied quickly, “I’m sure you can teach me. Just tell me how to make people like me, so I never have to worry about my friends leaving me again.”

The turtle began, “First, I think that listening is more important than anything. If you don’t listen-”

“I listen plenty, that can’t be it… What else?” the lobster cut in.

The turtle began again, more cautiously this time, “Maybe you oughta ask more questions. For instance, we have gone through this entire conversation and you have yet to ask one question about my life, short as it may be.”

The lobster thought a moment. “Well I know about your life. You hatched from an egg and you made it to the sea. What else could there be?” The turtle simply remained silent. “You are just a baby, and I am a full grown lobster. I simply have more to tell than you.”

The turtle began again. “You say you want advice and you say you want to be better, but every time I give you a suggestion you just refute it and remain stuck in your ways. If you are not willing to change why should I help? You seem like an alright fellow, but I don’t know what to say to you that will make you feel better.”

“I’m an alright fellow?” The lobster asked excitedly.

“That wasn’t much the point of what I was trying to say, but from our short interaction you seem alright enough.” The turtle replied.

“That’s all I needed to hear! If I’m an alright fellow maybe my friends don’t hate me! Thank you for your help, I know these problems must seem immense compared to what you’ve experienced in your short life but you aided wonderfully!” And with that the lobster ran back out of the sea and went to find his friends.

The turtle sighed quietly and turned back to the endless blue. He looked behind him and saw the beach covered with dry shells of turtle hatchlings that never reached the waves. He had been lucky to be the runt, for all of his brothers and sisters were picked off by seagulls before he was even born. He swam ahead and within a minute was eaten by a shark.

© 2020 Ethan Jobalia


Author's Note

Ethan Jobalia
General thoughts on the story?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi Ethan Jobalia
I expected it to be an environmental story and that the turtle was upset by something humans had done that effected the turle. I really felt for that turtle and wanted to see him change his life around for the better after receiving advice from the smaller turtle. The end almost made me cry. The subject of no friends is an excellent one to base another story on. Many people would like to know how to make more friends. It could be done in a story, not necessarily an essay or article. I wish you success. Keep writing.
LittleScribbler

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan Jobalia

3 Years Ago

Hey, this is my first story I've ever put up on this or any website, and this is my first comment I'.. read more



Reviews

Favorite character died. Consistent and useful tone. Good job

Posted 3 Years Ago


I thought your story was excellent Ethan. For some reason Aesop's Fables pops into my head - a story with a moral. It makes you think and has a humerous storyline but with a serious lesson. Not a happy ending but a twist is great in a story!
All the best!
Alan

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NO! Not the turtle! Lol, I loved this story a lot. The writing was fantastic and really pulled you into the story. Just like the shark pulled the turtle in... ),:. The story really goes to show, no matter how wise we are, anything can happen.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ouch! Baby turtle had wisdom beyond his young age, then nature made him a mere morsel for a shark. Bummer. Lobster seems a bit of a mess, so I expect he won't last long, either. A great little tale--I like it.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hi Ethan Jobalia
I expected it to be an environmental story and that the turtle was upset by something humans had done that effected the turle. I really felt for that turtle and wanted to see him change his life around for the better after receiving advice from the smaller turtle. The end almost made me cry. The subject of no friends is an excellent one to base another story on. Many people would like to know how to make more friends. It could be done in a story, not necessarily an essay or article. I wish you success. Keep writing.
LittleScribbler

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan Jobalia

3 Years Ago

Hey, this is my first story I've ever put up on this or any website, and this is my first comment I'.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 5, 2020
Last Updated on October 5, 2020
Tags: Moral, short story, sarcastic, humorous

Author

Ethan Jobalia
Ethan Jobalia

OH



About
A new writer just looking to improve my work more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ethan Jobalia



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..