Normal?

Normal?

A Story by sonnetmoon
"

Chloe suffers from depression. Alone in the world she must find her own path. Which one will she decide to take?

"

Like a ball of yarn her sanity was slowly unravelling. Chloe peered out of the window. So much had changed since the accident.Nothing remained the same. The ticking clock accompanied the dire ambience. A scent of musk lingered in the room. It had been months since she had last opened the windows. Suffocating. A mirror hung on the wall opposite her bookshelf. Chloe looked at her reflection. Only to find it had a crack. Her reflection smiled back at her. She placed another pill in her mouth hoping it would go away. It didn't.The voices in her head would only get louder.

 

"Go away!" she screamed.

 

Chloe paced the room until she grew tired of walking. She allowed herself to fall. Further and further she fell. The bed cushioned her landing. Her eyes rolled back into her head. Goosebumps appeared on her pasty skin.

 

"Face the truth don't be afraid" her mind continued to taunt her.

 

"I would rather live a lie. Let me sleep. Please allow me to sleep" her eyes were bloodshot. Crimson. Hours seemed to pass. Her breathing had become erratic. The light was disturbing her. Chloe walked up to the windows and closed the curtains. However all her efforts were futile. Light continued to seep through the pores of the fabric. She tried singing. Counting sheep. Nothing worked.Nothing.

 

She didn't know why she ran away. Maybe it was because she was afraid. Chloe had lost her way. There was no one there to guide her. Alone.

 

Engulfed in silence , she reflected on her thoughts. Chloe's breathing returned to normal. Her phone began to vibrate in her pocket. At first she ignored it. After five minutes it was still buzzing. go away... She added mentally. Reluctantly she answered the call.

 

"Listen to me before you hang up" the voice pleaded with her. Moments passed and no words were exchanged.

 

"I can help you" the voice reasoned.

 

"Who is this?" Chloe questioned.

 

"You know me very well" the voice retorted. Sweat lubricated her hands. Fear coursed through her veins.

 

"open your curtains" the voice suggested. Chloe opened them. She was blinded by the light. Fields of green grass replaced the dystopian world. Flowers now had a potential to bloom within the field of hope.

 

"Thank you" she whispered. The voice didn't reply.

 

"Chloe dinner is ready" her mother shouted.

 

"I'm coming" she replied. She Walked down stairs. Her mother placed her dinner on the table. Her mother noticed her tear stained face.

 

"What's wrong?" her voice was laced with concern.

 

"Can I tell you something" she asked.

 

"I'm here for you. You can tell me anything" her mother reached over to hug her. Chloe was now engulfed in the warmth of her mothers embrace.

© 2013 sonnetmoon


Author's Note

sonnetmoon
This is my first short story. Please review my work. Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the tension in this. It builds nicely. Not too sure about the words in bold though. I found them a little distracting. I would also have left out the last sentence, but otherwise a neat first short story. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


sonnetmoon

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading my short story.

-sonnetmoon
short, but gripping. i wonder if the fragment-sentences are intentional? couldn't quite tell. like your style!

-Megan

Posted 10 Years Ago


sonnetmoon

10 Years Ago

I used the fragment-sentences to create a effect. Thank you for your comment.

-sonnetmo.. read more
Words are like precious metals. If used correctly metals can produce wonderful things. But metals can also destroy lives and plant fear into the populace. Words can be as prayers, we would that God supply the outcome of them. May God Bless your words, Sonnetmoon and take care, thank you. kdanill

Posted 10 Years Ago


sonnetmoon

10 Years Ago

I really appreciate your comment. :)
kdanill

10 Years Ago

You're welcome, and thank you for reading my material. It's still a work in progress. Chapter two is.. read more
sonnetmoon

10 Years Ago

I cant wait to read your next chapter Kdanill !
This story was very descriptive and very well written, I assume that the sentence structure is intentional. Although there were few, small punctual errors, I thought that it was an impressive piece. Keep doing what you're doing!

Posted 10 Years Ago


sonnetmoon

10 Years Ago

I will try to correct the punctual errors :)
I love the wording and emotion of this story. Fantastic job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


sonnetmoon

10 Years Ago

Thank you! I might rewrite this story...
chaotic katie

10 Years Ago

well if you do i'll be happy to read it
Really good, I love the way you end it, where she finds hope! It does seem a little disjointed and jerky, but you may have done that intentionally, I love the symbolism of the flowers, and again, you're ending is spectacular. You may want to go a little more in depth with her mind, and you may want to do a little more research into depression. The symptoms aren't so much depression as they are borderline personality disorder or PTSD. Hearing voices isn't depression, really. It's dissociative or schizophrenic, and her seizures would NOT be depression, they'd also be more schizophrenic. Depression is sadness, to simplify it. It's more about losing the will to live.

Posted 10 Years Ago


sonnetmoon

10 Years Ago

I used the wrong story Tag ha-ha. I really appreciate your comment.
''Only to find it had a cracked'', isn't it supposed to be cracked or a crack?
I like it, it's a very good first attempt, I like the idea a lot, the scene and the descriptive language you use. I can see an image while I read it. I like the part with the conversation over the phone, it's just a shame that we don't learn more about the person at the other line, or maybe I'm just missing something. The idea, as I said already, is clever and nice, and I like how you use the look outside the window as a reference. Good one sonnetmoon! Keep 'em coming!

Let me add something to that, on second thought, the person at the other end could be her, telling herself to get up, right? I'm curious what your intention was! :-)

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 12, 2013
Last Updated on June 12, 2013
Tags: Unknown, Fiction, Depression, Malice, Fear, Modern, Dystopian

Author

sonnetmoon
sonnetmoon

United Kingdom



About
We live in a dystopian world. Malice is my muse. Modern society is what inspires me.Writing is my freedom. more..

Writing
short short

A Story by sonnetmoon