Chapter One : New Day, New Beginnings

Chapter One : New Day, New Beginnings

A Chapter by Totoro-Sama
"

School. The memories of night are washed away by the blue of today's sky.

"


"Hey! Mia? ... Earth to Mia? Hello?"

-----From the bleak night of rain, ruby-red eyes looked up to meet the bright, emerald orbs belonging to her best friend. They glinted with worry as spots of light patterned her figure while the wind carried soft locks of blonde over uneven shoulders. Downcast from the recalling of memory, Mia glanced around, taking in all her surroundings. Where had she been ...? Oh ... She was at school. She wasn't in the cafe. How do you know? Mia wasn't donned in red like the night before. Now, she wore the comfortable school uniform: the usual red ribbon over a blue blazer, a white collared shirt, all with a red checkered skirt above black Mary-Janes. The whole sky isn't red as well. There was no rain ... well, technically, there wasn't a trace left of it. Rubies looked up to find a stainless, blue sky ... hidden by the rustling of leaves. It was somewhat windy ... but, Mia was used to the breeze around her legs. The two sat on a hillside by the school field, under a large, waning tree that embraced them with its shadow. To keep away from the blades of grass, the two sat on a red-checkered picnic blanket. Empty lunches (bentos) lay cast on the side. 

"Mia, you alright? Were you up all night playing RPGs again?"

-----Her best friend, otherwise known as Rachel, giggled at her own mention before turning her attention back to the "matter at hand" (now that she knows that someone is there to listen to her when she begins taking). Rachel sat with legs crossed on the edge of the blanket so she could get the closest view of the field down below. RPGs huh ...? Oh ... she never knew. Mia knew that not even she could know. Not even her most trusted friend whom she knew since Kindergarten. 

"Yeah. I started and finished one. I was glad I got past the boss ... but before I knew it, the clock had already struck two in the morning ... and there was the homework ..."

-----Mia yawned and stretched, allowing straight, brown locks to pour over her own shoulders. If you looked closely, there is a slight waviness to them ... from having her hair up the night before ... But ... after that ... there was no other trace of the other Mia. Ruby eyes looked down at her lap. There was no need to recall the memory here. There was no need to recall the other job. Oh ...! With the sun's spots moving about and the breeze tempting sleep, Mia found it hard to stay awake for Rachel. The sky was just too much of a serene blue. It seemed to envelop her consciousness fully with each second. Even the sound of boys playing their games down below contributed to the peace of the atmosphere ... probably because they were so far away. The rustling and rustling of greenery served as the tipping point. Eyelids lowered and lowered as a consequence. The bell would ring ... the bell would wake her up ... Mia knew. But, right when the young student grasped the right moment, the shrill sound of cheering pulled her away from the breeze. 

"OH MY GOD! HE'S BATTING! HE'S BATTING! MIA! LOOK! OOO! HE'S SO CUTE! IT'S ACE!"

-----Ruby eyes flew open at the sound and Mia slowly raised a hand to check her ears for any damage done whatsoever. Rachel saw this when she turned her head and flashed an embarrassed smile to say a silent sorry for making such sudden noise. Her eyes continued to glint with such a bright, innocent glow. Something that Mia would never have. Why was she screaming so loudly? ... Oh. Wait ... she had forgotten. The whole reason for sitting and eating lunch here was so that Rachel could watch her--the school's athlete idol: Ace Coleman practice during lunch. Huh. Mia had seen the boy around campus before. She's also seen him in Rachel's phone (he was the cover). Ace ... he wasn't really different from all those other "revered" characters you see in novels. With well-kept, red hair and dashing, red eyes, he was the handsome one known all over town, second to the "Ice Prince". Ace always excelled in everything regarding sports. Basketball, Soccer, Track, you name it. He could do it all. And, not only was he well-done in that category ... oh, he just had to keep on going. Out of his class, Ace is ranked four. Two places below Mia. 

"I would usually let you sleep now, but you have to see him. I bet that if you witness his coolness in person, then you would believe in me and you wouldn't make fun of him. Look! Look at all the girls crowding behind the fence!"
"No. Just let me sleep. I would rather----"
"Aw come on!"

-----Rachel crawled over and pulled Mia, with little-to-no strength wasted, so that the two sat side by side on the edge of the blanket. Now, she was forced to witness ... this "coolness" of his. 

"You see? The one coming out of the back, the one who's going to high-five the one that just made the home run!"
"I know. I know."

-----Mia looked down, watching as two uniformed players exchanged their gratitude through the "slapping of hands" from a formidable distance. His red hair wasn't hard to spot. Ace, in general, was easy to see, knowing his place in the school. 

"Oooooo! Isn't he---"
"Okay. I get it. Let me watch."

-----Ruby eyes squinted as a bat was picked up by Ace. Ears caught the cheering of the young girls in her class (and in other classes) as they crowded over the fence. Oh my Lord. There were so many of them. They were like a platoon----an army. Luckily, the two had not been down there. There, Mia would have experienced screaming thirty times worse than what she had heard a mere seconds before. Thank God that Rachel, at least, treasured her friend's (and her own) ability to hear.

"Oh!! He's gonna hit a home run! He's gonna hit a home run!"

-----Mia only ignored Rachel's commentary as she continued to watch Ace get in position with knees bent and bat gripped with both hands. This boy ... even from far away ... Mia felt his confidence. It was practically radiating out of him ... similar to how the sun radiated light as of right now. It was a nice feeling. Mia was envious .. and she would have liked to continue watching him, but ughhh. How can someone enjoy watch closely from afar?! When Mia glanced over to see her best friend, it looked as if Rachel caught the whole thing like a movie ... with the "zooming in" at the critical moments! This was just a waste of time. 

"Am I done yet? I don't need to see him hit. In fact, I can barely---"

-----With furrowed eyebrows, Mia hoped to turn to an attentive Rachel ... but the poor girl had been too busy staring at her idol to listen and notice as Mia crawled back to her spot under the tree. With her back again in contact with stern bark, she closed ruby eyes to try and get a wink of sleep ... but ... then ... a sharp pain ran through her head. It resounded from wall to wall. What did Rachel say right before ...?

"OH MY GOD! I HAVE TO CATCH THIS BALL!"

Oh .. so that was what she ...


© 2014 Totoro-Sama


Author's Note

Totoro-Sama
Picture Found in Zerochan.
I Am Quite New at this . . so Please go Easy On me.
Comment or don't. I would like some reviews though.
If you want to see the characters, there is a Guide.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

NO, WHAT HAPPENED TO MIA aka SARA?

When did the JERK hurt her?

I NEED TO KNOW MORE!!
Also, keep up the great work, I love your writing style! (^v^)v*

Posted 4 Years Ago


As always ,your imagery is very descriptive.I love it.The way you describe Mia's thoughts and the way she thinks about the guy Ace seemed like I could picture it in my mind.I can imagine this whole story as an anime in my head.This story is kind of soothing and nice to read.It put my mind at ease.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Totoro-Sama

10 Years Ago

*jumps for joy, but hits my head on the ceiling*

YES! YES! YES! I am so glad! You just .. read more
Nariko

10 Years Ago

No problem.You deserve the praise.
Totoro-Sama

10 Years Ago

(>^w^)>

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 30, 2014
Last Updated on March 31, 2014
Tags: Anime-Inspired, Anime, Fantasy, Romance



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..