Too Little, Too Late

Too Little, Too Late

A Story by Revenge<3'sMe

Too Little, Too Late

                Jared listened to the rain pounding on the roof of his now empty home. Actually it wasn’t home anymore, more like a cage, his personal hell. Tears softly cascaded down his smooth cheeks and watch as they splashed on the framed picture, lightening illuminating the face. One was his own, the other belong to the owner of his heart and soul: Michael. Gripping the picture tighter till his knuckles turned white, Jared thought back to that day, the day he lost the one person that truly meant to him.

 

4 weeks ago

                Laughing at his friends’ jokes, Jared smiled and nodded his head towards his passing classmates Cheyenne and Brittney. Brittney waved joyfully at him then returned to talking to the other, while Cheyenne nodded and gave a small smile and continued walking and talking to her friend. Seeing Cheyenne head-slap Brittney, Jared couldn’t help but chuckle and check the time on his watch. 2:49 flashed back, causing him to frown. Michael was of supposed to of met Jared here already so they could go on their 5 month anniversary.

                “Dude chill, I’m pretty sure you lover boy will show up,” Rafael reassured, chuckling as Jared responded by showing him the finger. “No thanks, I’m happily taken, but thanks for the offer!” Rolling his eyes and the other busted out laughing, Jared checked his cell-phone for any messages. You have zero new messages, popped up on his screen and his growled while shoving his phone in his pocket.

4 hours later

                Jared anxiously strode through their apartment, seeing the as it clock turns 6:58. Hearing the lock on their door unlock and the door slowly creak open, Jared smiled as the worry washed out of him and walked to the door. “Babe, where-, “Jared stopped mid-sentence at the sight before him. His boyfriend was currently holding hands with another person, and to make matters worse, the person was female and was Abbi. Scrunching his eyebrows up in confusion, Jared started, “What’s going on here?”

                Clearing his throat, Michael stated calming although his eyes played a different emotion, “Jared, I don’t know how to tell you this but I proposed to Abbi earlier today. I’m sorry.” Michael added the last part quietly.

Pain etched on his face, but quickly hid it and forced a smile on his face, “Congratulations you two. I’m so happy for the both of y’all.” Abbi squealed and gave Jared a tight hug, joyous that Jared was actually letting them to get married. Michael on the other hand, stood stunned and stared into Jared’s caramel eyes, questioning.

“You’re gonna have to send me an invitation so I can see the both of you get your happily-ever-after,” Jared joked although it felt as if his heart was being torn in two.

“Trust me we will! Thank you so much for understanding,” Abbi praised, giving him a quick peck on the cheek and ran back to the door. Stopping when she didn’t hear Michael following, the petite female turned to her fiancé. “Michael?”

“Wait in the truck for me please,” Michael asked, and heard the door open and close. “Jared?” Seeing his lover turn his back on him, Michael was about to reach out for him, but stopped short.

“It’ll be hard not waking up with you every day or holding you, but I live with my decision, I love you Michael Herrera,” Jared whispered brokenly as tears slide down his face. Hearing Michael sigh behind him, Jared covered his face with his hands and slide to his knees, breaking down crying in the middle of the hall.

Now

                Closing his tired eyes, Jared looked at the clock seeing it flash 3:00 A.M. Whipping the salty tears from his face, Jared reached for the phone and dialed the phone number he memorized by heart. Hearing the automotive voice go to voice-mail, Jared sighed heavily and began to leave a message to the cell phone number. “Hey Michael, its, uh, Jared; long time since we last spoke huh? I just wanted to call and tell you that I miss you and Cheyenne and Brittney miss you. Um, tomorrow’s Cheyenne’s birthday and she flying down from Vancouver to visit as we speak, but hey, if I were you I’d watch out for her. Uh, I also want to say that I love you and I hope you and Abbi are happy, and that I’m leaving Midland. Yeah, shocker am I right? *sigh* Listen I just want you to know you won’t have to keep avoiding me and making your life a living hell. I… I’m sorry,” Jared whispered the last part before hanging up.

The next day

                Michael looked around the party gathering, Abbi wandering off with some ex boyfriend hours ago. Sipping the wine slowly, Michael felt someone glaring at him from behind. Sighing, he placed his glass down on a table before turning to face the “birthday girl”.

                “Cheyenne, how have you been?” Michael asked awkwardly to the now 25 year old.

                “I’ve been better,” she replied warily, and Michael could see what she meant. The young woman looked as if she was about to drop to the ground at any given moment. “Stayed up all last night speaking with Jared,” she stated, casting her eyes pissed-off like to the man in front of her.

                “Cheyenne, please not here,” Michael groaned, not wanting to open up old wounds about an ex-lover who hasn’t even called him once.

                “I’m just asking if you heard the messages he left you,” the witch snapped heatedly. Seeing him frown in confusion, Cheyenne smirked and turned on her heel back to the party.

                Pulling out his phone he saw that he in fact did have two voicemails. Clicking on the later one Michael stepped outside to hear the message clear.

“Hey Michael, its, uh, Jared; long time since we last spoke huh? I just wanted to call and tell you that I miss you and Cheyenne and Brittney miss you. Um, tomorrow’s Cheyenne’s birthday and she flying down from Vancouver to visit as we speak, but hey, if I were you I’d watch out for her. Uh, I also want to say that I love you and I hope you and Abbi are happy, and that I’m leaving Midland. Yeah, shocker am I right? *sigh* Listen I just want you to know you won’t have to keep avoiding me and making your life a living hell. I… I’m sorry.”

Eyes growing wide, Michael quickly pressed the second message.

“Um, hey it’s me again. I was just wondering if you wanted to talk face to face one last time before I leave. If you want to you can meet me at our- I mean my apartment.”

Running to his car without hesitation, Michael quickly unlocked the truck and, after buckling in and started the truck, hauled a*s to Jared’s apartment.

20 minutes later

                Michael, out of breath, banged on the door only three times before it opened revealing Jared’s shocked face. “You’re actually here,” he heard Jared mutter.

                Pouncing on him at his mid-section, the two fell back through the door and heard it slam shut.

                “What the hell Michael?” Jared started only to stop as Michael’s small form pressed up against his larger one. Hearing the words that made him hold Michael closer and never let him go.

                “Please don’t leave me, Jared!” Michael cried brokenly and sighed in content when those strong arms wrapped around him, holding closer. Tears streamed down his face and began to sob harshly when he felt a set of lips press against his forehead and a pair of hands run through his short hair, trying to calm him.

                Lips bushed against his cheek and stopped near his ear, whispering lovingly, “I love you still, and won’t leave unless you want me to.” Pulling back, Jared stared into Michael’s watery brown eyes and wiped a few tears away. Michael shook his head no when those hands left his face and nuzzled into Jared’s chest, not letting go.

© 2011 Revenge<3'sMe


Author's Note

Revenge<3'sMe
This is what happens when you go to bed at 5 in the morning and only had a few hours the night before...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

354 Views
Added on November 19, 2011
Last Updated on November 19, 2011

Author

Revenge<3'sMe
Revenge<3'sMe

Midland, TX



About
[url=http://www.mnpls.com/quotes-7363.html][img]http://i.mnpls.com/73/7363.png[/img][/url] pimp myspace more..

Writing
Karma Karma

A Poem by Revenge<3'sMe


Forever Forever

A Story by Revenge<3'sMe


Tokens Tokens

A Book by Revenge<3'sMe