Persistence of Time

Persistence of Time

A Story by Mr. Blake
"

Romantic short story about a chance encounter of soulmates.

"

 

Persistence of Time

 

He was tired and dumfounded, realizing he may never find the amazing timepiece that eluded him. Never seen, only by wilted ancient scraps of paper was it described. He had discovered the architectural drawings in a trunk purchased at a thrift store. After examining the unique details his quest began years ago.

 

Although he suffered many disappointments, he decided to venture out one last time. To ease his mind he made the clock search secondary. His goal today was old books about science and history. While browsing, he stumbled across a magnificent old cedar chest. He was perplexed and almost mystically drawn to it as if it was Pandora’s. Surprisingly, nothing appeared special about it, no unusual markings nor unique design. Maybe it was a small trunk to fit underneath a soldier’s bunk during the First World War. 

 

As he reached out, his hand accidentally bumped into a soft feminine hand also outstretched for the box. Their eyes moved from the box to each other’s. His heart raced as he saw the most beautiful woman to have ever graced his presence. A slight twinkle in her brilliant hazel eyes immediately gave him the key to her soul. They talked for a while and exchanged information. Needless to say, while she gained the unique wooden bounty that day, he gained the anticipation of love.

 

Later that week, as he prepared for his first date with her, he stared into the mirror.  He was trying to tie the perfect Windsor knot to accompany his freshly pressed oxford shirt.  Slowly, in his reflection, he realized he was becoming at peace with not finding the clock. His heart beat harder today for something other than a treasure hunt.

 

He arrived at her beautiful turn-of-the-century Victorian home complete with the comfort of a wrap-around porch. The home exquisitely fit her personality and demeanor. Excited to escort her to the local Cheesecake Factory for deep conversation, dinner, dessert, he anticipated long term companionship.

 

“Knock-Knock”.

 

He stood nervously shaking his left hand and a tight grip on the bouquet of daffodils in the right.

 

“Welcome!”  She greeted him with a tight embrace and smile that lit up the late spring afternoon, almost daring the sun to outshine her.

 

They entered her home and were surrounded with bold scents of burning candles balanced by freshly laundered linens. The house felt like home to him.  It was an odd sensation yet very comforting. Her beauty balanced her surroundings, a serenity hard to find.

 

“I must show you something you will truly appreciate, ”she whispered softly as she lovingly took his hand.

 

He was led down the hardwood floored hallway her sitting room. He felt a tingling sensation bolt its way to his heart as her soft skin touched his rugged hands. He watched the mesmerizing sway of her hips in her fashionable sundress.

 

“Here it is! Isn’t it lovely?” her excitement lured his attention from her curvaceous physique.

 

His jaw dropped, eyebrows raised and his eyes slightly watered. Only a mere hands reach away was the one thing that eluded him for years. The questioned existence was answered. Illuminated gloriously in soft sun rays hung the only one of its kind. The clock was hers!

 

“I found it the same day we met at the antique shop on the eastside. The owner said it had just come in that very day. I was very lucky to find it.” she said unaware of his long quest.

 

“No, I am the lucky one.  I am in the presence of the two most beautiful treasures in the world”

 

 

Copyright © 2012 Billy Blake

All rights reserved.

 

 

© 2012 Mr. Blake


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is the second piece of sweet time-piece related writing I have read today.

I enjoyed this story, as a musty bibliophile, I could sympathise with him and enjoy his distraction from the very important clock by the more important lady.

A few word choices worth double checking, but the only one the jumped out was the 'magnificent' chest that was also 'nothing special'.

But overall, this is sweet and lovely, more please.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
1 Review
Added on July 2, 2012
Last Updated on July 2, 2012
Tags: Romance, Persistence, Time, Short Story

Author

Mr. Blake
Mr. Blake

VA



About
I am an aspiring author who decided to explore the world through my pen. After years of watching life unfold, I have decided to clean out my memory, opinions, and observation for others to share. Deci.. more..