Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Missy
"

Gloria meets her first love.

"

The little boy laid down in his bed stirring about. His father sat on the bed and was tucking him in by pulling the cover onto his little body. The boy didn’t resemble his father as much as he did his mother. The boy had dark brown hair almost black with brown eyes and his father was blond hair mixed with light brown strands and bright blue eyes. His father was already an aging man in his early forties. He had a scruffy beard and he was a big man. He was so excited when the boy was born five years ago. He only had one other son and that was by his first wife who died after the birth. He promised himself he wouldn’t love again, but then he met his boys mother. After several years of sadness the birth of this little boy gave him so much happiness. The boy smiled up at his father and reached up and put his arms around him.

            “I love you daddy.” The boy said to him and laid back down.

            “I love you.” The man said and struggled to keep from releasing a tear from his eyes. He was going to miss him. He was leaving tonight to go back to fighting in a war. A war he did not wish to happen, but a war that had to happen. His only problem now was finishing the war. The war had been going on for five years now and he barely got to see his sons at all. He leaned over and kissed his forehead and walked out of the room. He was in the hall slowly closing the door behind him when his wife approached. The man was dressed in his chainmail and his rings were clinging together.

            “I can see it now. He’s going to have you wrapped around his finger.” She said grabbing a hold to his left arm that he held out for her.

            “My dear would I be a good father if I didn’t give my son the very best.” The man said while he and his wife continued walking down their hallway. The walls were brown with a white squiggly mark showing some design of wavy lines outlined in black.

 

 

 

 

 

Three months later

 

            A young girl with brownish blond curls trailed behind her small body as she ran around her parent’s house playing a game alone. Their house was like many of the other houses around them. The house was built by her father and he alone maintains it. The house was two stories high, with an outside porch and windows. The wood was clean and freshly shaped up to cover perfectly every inch of the outside of the house. They only had a couple of windows which were small squares that had a piece of wood going horizontal and vertically crossing in the middle. On the porch in front of the house was a wooden wicker chair that had a red and white striped linen cloth along the bottom of the seat that gave the illusion of comfort.

            The young girl was dressed in a yellow dress that seemed to have white ruffles along the neck, arms and bottom of the skirt. She raced along the green grass as though she were being chased by a ravenous beast. Then she dared climb a tree wearing that pretty dress knowing her mother would be mad. Still she decided to climb the tree and putting her left foot first she began to ascend by using her little arms to grab onto a dent in the tree that allowed her right food to grab a hold of another dent in the tree that was about ten feet high and slender. Once she reached the first few branches she hid by the cover of the oval leaves that were still attached. She sat there looking at her mother through one of the windows on the side of the house.

            Her mother was busy in the kitchen getting dinner ready. Her mom always seemed to feel the need to cook as of late. Her father was off fighting in the war and it always left her mother feeling rather lonely. She washed as her mother had some turnips and were busy washing them in the bowl. She could hear her mothers voice in her head telling her how lucky she was to be able to have clean water any time. Her mother would tell her horror stories of how her and her five sisters all had to share two buckets of water to wash and that was if they could make it from the lake back to the home without spilling. She was lost in her thoughts when suddenly she heard a voice that brought her back.

            “Hello. Can I come up with you?” A little voice said to the young girl as she looked down in all angles trying to originate where the sound came form.

            “Gloria DeCampl, you get out of that tree this instant!” Gloria heard her mother yell from inside the house and since she could no longer see her in the kitchen she moved back over from the branch to the center of the tree and started climbing downward. When she got close enough to the ground she jumped. That’s when she saw her mother coming out of the front door and heading straight for her. “Young lady you are not a boy. You are to act as a lady.” At this moment she really couldn’t stand the patronizing voice and eyes her mother was laying on her. She almost forgot about the voice that had called to her so she looked around. She noticed a little boy about her age standing behind the tree.

            “Yes, mother.” She said to her mom who was still looking at her through disbelieving brown eyes. She seemed to take that as an answer and marched back onto the porch and into the home letting the door slam. Gloria turned around to find the boy with small brown curls and grey eyes staring at her from the side of the tree.

            “I’m Gloria. I’m six and I can do this.” She said and did a cart wheel.

            “I’ll be six in two whole months and I can do that.” The little boy said and threw down his arms to attempt a cartwheel and failed. He turned away from Gloria in embarrassment.

            “What’s your name? I can teach you how to do it, it’s easy.” Gloria said running around in front of the boy who turned away from her.

            “Do-Dominic”, the boy said finally getting a good picture of the green eyes and brownish gold curls that stood before him.

            Gloria smiled at him. Then she started immediately telling him how to do a cartwheel. That is until her mother caught her and then they started to play hide and seek. That night Dominic came over for dinner with Gloria and her mother. That is how most days went after that. Gloria and Dominic became inseparable from the start. They became super glued together.



© 2012 Missy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I will post part 2 tomorrow

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
1 Review
Added on August 11, 2012
Last Updated on August 11, 2012
Tags: young love, kids, children, playing, king, family, son, war


Author

Missy
Missy

Lansing, MI



About
I want to be a writer. I write all day, everyday in case I'm working. more..

Writing
Ch. 1 Pretenses Ch. 1 Pretenses

A Chapter by Missy


A tortured soul A tortured soul

A Chapter by Missy