Will Life ever be the same?

Will Life ever be the same?

A Story by Miranda
"

A young single mother tries driving home in a horrible storm and gets into a car wreak, will she make it?

"

As she was driving home from work, Laura suddenly couldn't remember why she voulenteered for the graveyard shift at Safeway. Driving home at 3 am was a little scary. You didn't know who was driving drunk and who was just really ticked off. After Lauras husband Michael died in the war, shes had to get a job, and move into a smaller apartment. She now lived with her Sister Sarah. When Laura opend the door, she just colapsed on the couch, just like every night.

"Laura, you need to stop falling asleep on the couch, it isnt good for your back" Sarah said when Laura stumbled into the kitchen the next morning.

"I can't help it, I have a job, and a 6 year old, I need the money" Laura said. "Is David still asleep?"

"Yea, dosen't get up untill 9, you know that" Said Sarah.

"I wish Michael was still here, I can't live like this much longer" Laura cried.

"Well then ask your boss about changing you hours," Sara suggusted

"I did, he said no," Laura replyed.

Laura knew what she needed to do, she had to do. She had to quit, but she wanted to find another job first. She had applied at 4 different places,and didn't get any of them. How was she going to raise a child when she has to work at a job at night, and was usually too tired to do anything in the day time.

"Mommy your up" David said when he saw his mother

"I sure am Son" Laura smiled

"Can you come to my softball game then?" David asked in his sweet childish voice.

"Oh I'm afraid Mommy needs to go to work when your game starts" Laura said.

"But Aunt Sarah will be in the stands cheering you on!" Sara managed to salvage.

David did seem to cheer up, but you could still see the pain in his eyes, knowing his own mother wasn't going to come to his baseball game. When David went to get ready for school, Laura slumped down in the chair and wanted so much to cry.

"I feel like a monster" She groaned

"You can't help it, at least you have a job, your supporting you and your son" Sara said.

"Yea, but I'm not going to be there, hell, when he goes to prom I'll probably still be working the graveyard shift at Safeway" Laura cried.

"No you wont because you are going to keep looking for another job untill you get one with better hours, I will not let you give up" Sara said.

That cheered Laura up a little bit, not much, but a little. That morning, she took David to school, then took a nap in her room; Sara comming to wake her when it was time for work.

"Tell David I tried to come," Laura said just before she left.

"He knows you tried, I'm sure" Smiled Sara.

Laura turned and walked out the door, thinking it was just going to be a normal night. On her break, which was at 8:30am, just before Davids bedtime, Laura called him, and they talked for her entire lunch hour.

"I love you Mommy" David said.

"I love you too David" Laura said, tears standing in her eyes.

Laura hung up the phone, then went back to work, counting down the minutes untill she was able to go home. Around 10pm, a bad storm started. People started flooding the store, either to get out of the rain, or prepare for a bad storm that might be comming. When Laura looked out the window, Lightning and thunder were in the sky, and the rain was pouring down like hail, and it didn't seem to lighten up.

"Be careful on your way home Laura," The Manager said.

"Why would you care?" Laura thought

As Laura was driving the same road she always did, the road seemed much slyperier than normal; even if it was a stormy night. Then as she was going through a green light, she lost controll of her car, and drove right into the Sacramento river. The car was sinking, but she couldn't get out, the electric windwos and locks wouldn't work ,and if she broke the window, she would die even faster.

"I can't do anything" Laura said.

Laura leaned back, and fell asleep, knowing she was dying no matter what. Laura never woke, when she opened her eyes, her husband was waiting for her, in his millitary uniforms and a smile on his face. She took his hand and walked with him to the afterlife. They found Laura inside her car a week later, Laura clutching a picture of David in her hands. Sara could hardly believe that she was now left to raise David by her self, but she managed.

20 years flew by Sara and her husband James raised David like there own, in addition to raising 3 sons and 2 daughters of there own. After he graduated High School, he inlisted in the Marines, where after serving his country, became the manager of the Safeway his mother worked at 20 years before

© 2009 Miranda


Author's Note

Miranda
one of my first short stories, my writing has improved much since this lol

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

And then he died? I keed. I actually really liked this (Actually being used because it's late I didn't even think I could stay focused, not because I came in will low hopes) and can related to a lot of the first half, in a passive sort of way. A few minor spellings errors and whatnot but nothing serious. Overall, pretty good.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I liked the flow of the story it was well done. But I think you need to capture the writer more, paint a picture for them. This almost felt more like a script since it was focused more on the dialogue then anything else. Then again your writing has improved so this may be something you already caught. You have the imagination though, you put soul in your characters, and the dialogue is realistic and smooth. Just show us more of what is going on, and tell show us their feelings too. Good story.

Posted 14 Years Ago


You use alot of he said she said, sothat could be improved, yet still, I depicts the adverage american family in their homes. Till later, then I died. It was ad yet happy as they went to the afterlife together. T_^

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And then he died? I keed. I actually really liked this (Actually being used because it's late I didn't even think I could stay focused, not because I came in will low hopes) and can related to a lot of the first half, in a passive sort of way. A few minor spellings errors and whatnot but nothing serious. Overall, pretty good.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 6, 2009

Author

Miranda
Miranda

Redding, CA



About
My name is Miranda, I love writing and hope to become an Author one day. If I could get ideas and thoughts about my writing so I can improve would make my day, and I'm anxious to meet anyone ! more..

Writing
Daddy's gone Daddy's gone

A Poem by Miranda