The Stench

The Stench

A Story by Andrew DeMars
"

An Anecdote of my living conditions in my dorm last year.

"

The Stench

As I lay in my loft night after night the same putrid scent infiltrates my sinuses and pulls at my gag reflexes. A stench so foul that living in this dorm was becoming a biohazard, and something needed to be done about it. But nothing could be done as long as the source was in the room, for it was too powerful to be reckoned with in person.  The entity responsible for the toxic fumes was my room mate, Sonic. Yes, he referred to himself as Sonic, and after living with him for almost two months now, I have never seen him shower more than once in a week, and never have I ever seen him do his laundry. All of his dirty laundry accumulates in the far corner of the room out of harms way for the most part, but if some poor soul strays too close to the abomination, gagging ensues. I've experienced it and have witnessed others experience it, fumes from the heaping pile literally gag anyone in a 5 foot radius.  

So one weekend when Sonic finally went out of town, I bought a pack of lilac scented dryer sheets, and hid them intricately around the room. Under Sonics bed, behind the blinds, between the sheets, in the pillow cases, you name it, it had a dryer sheet hidden in it.  I even put on gloves an put a few in the pile of rotten clothes in the corner. I also had my friend Matt help me litter the sheets around the room, and all he said after being in there for no more then 10 minutes was "Dude i gotta leave", and started dry heaving in the hallway. And with the initial source of the stench gone, our room was a valley of fresh lilac for the time being.

 

It was sweet, the fragrance uplifted my mind and rid my senses of the nausea,  giving me comfort to be in my room for more than just sleeping at night, for that was the only time I could bear the smell was when I would be sleeping with air fresheners on my night tray on my loft. And with my room not smelling like an outhouse from the State Fair I wasn't embarrassed to have people over finally, even though they all knew the reason. ( ha ha i gave them all a demo earlier in the year and they understood why I was always in their rooms, doing homework or just chillin.   But on the Sunday, after the long, stench free weekend, my room mate returned, and the stench followed with him, barreling down at full force.

After a weekend of sweet sensual lilac wafting in our room, Sonic's body odor overpowered the aroma in a matter of 3 hours! Before i knew it I was thrown back into this everlasting hell of smell, crushing my soul knowing that no matter what i threw at this stench my efforts would be fruitless.  For the rest of the year i put up with his stench, night after night, day after day I inhaled the poisonous gases that decayed from his body and clothe. And with his bed being on the ground and mine a loft above his I was pretty much forced to taste his salty, sweaty, fecal matter flavor that emitted from his body. So I powered the year out and returned to my room only at night, but being there for only eight hours a night shortened my life expectancy by a decade no doubt, judging by the fried dead cactus that sat next to Sonic's laundry I saw when i moved out.

© 2011 Andrew DeMars


Author's Note

Andrew DeMars
I wrote this for my class, let me know what needs to be done.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
Added on January 25, 2011
Last Updated on January 25, 2011

Author

Andrew DeMars
Andrew DeMars

St. Cloud, MN



About
im a student at college who likes to write more..

Writing
Friend Friend

A Poem by Andrew DeMars