The Blue Vase

The Blue Vase

A Story by Ms Paragon

He remembered everything. All he had to do was close his eyes and see it, feel it. And all that led to it. And long after that.

 A single moment. That's all it took. A violent jerk of his father's hand, the silence in between, and the shrieking sound of the glass shattering against the cold, marble floor. Silence again. His eyes fixed on the shattered pieces of blue glass scattered around, pieces that had once made up his favourite vase. His favourite blue vase. He used to love the way it reflected the light, when you drew the curtains, glittering  the sunny days, dull the cloudy days. A silent companion in his growing up, mirroring the weather and his mood alike. He kneeled to pick up the precious pieces, wanting to glue them together again, make everything all right again. But his hands were shaking and his tears blurred his vision.

 "What are you doing? You're going to cut yourself." And, indeed, drops of blood were already staining the glass. He watched his mother as she was cleaning the mess, her features drawn, her hair a mess. His father had banged the door a minute earlier, never to see him again.

 His hands were shaking now, as well. He was trying to collect the pieces of the broken glass off the floor. Odd, wasn't, it? In the decades that followed the "vase "day as he liked to call it, he had never broken a thing. Not even close. And ,here he was, in his own kitchen, picking up the pieces of a glass. A glass his wife threw at him, right before she marched out the door. Was he never to see her again?

© 2018 Ms Paragon


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A really interesting poem. About a broken vase and the meaning behind it. And then opening up the bigger picture of why it was broken and the outcome of that said action. Deep meaningful and dramatic, yet emotional and tender as well. Expressed to perfection. And so heartfelt.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ms Paragon

5 Years Ago

Thank you for your careful reading and analysis! I'm so glad you liked it!



Reviews

brilliant poem this is the sort of stuff I love
going from childhood to being middle aged to even older in one poem
this is so clever
the vase meant so much to the boy and then to have it happen later.
I love this well done

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ms Paragon

5 Years Ago

Thank you for your generous review! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I absolutely love the tone of voice you have in this story. In so little, you tell the reader so much without actually telling us, which I always love! I love how short it is-and how important the moment is for the character. But I'm selfish, and I wish it was longer :) I love it!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ms Paragon

5 Years Ago

Thank you for your insightful comment and careful reading! I appreciate it!
Your short stories are so full of impact.... in such short lines you convey so much...
Love your stories...:)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ms Paragon

5 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and your kind words! It means a lot!
A really interesting poem. About a broken vase and the meaning behind it. And then opening up the bigger picture of why it was broken and the outcome of that said action. Deep meaningful and dramatic, yet emotional and tender as well. Expressed to perfection. And so heartfelt.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ms Paragon

5 Years Ago

Thank you for your careful reading and analysis! I'm so glad you liked it!
Braking of things and life poor and good decisions. I liked how you create places and thoughts leading to the open ending. Thank you Ms Paragon for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


Ms Paragon

5 Years Ago

Thank you for your encouraging review! I appreciate it!
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I love your work and you are welcome Ms Paragon.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

352 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2018
Last Updated on July 2, 2018

Author

Ms Paragon
Ms Paragon

Greece



Writing
Torn Torn

A Story by Ms Paragon