The Journey Begins

The Journey Begins

A Story by msutcliffe
"

Short Taoist/Zen style story about the struggle to find wholeness

"

For one the journey begins just as the journey began for one before everything had begun.

The one for whom the journey began before the one whom the journey just began is ready to end and to begin again. 

Over and over ending and beginning only to end and begin again.

It’s easier for one to meet another and for the journey begin again together as two.

It makes little sense to journey as one when two would do…. right?


“I don’t want to be alone!” cried one, “I don’t want this journey to end as one!”

Answer there came none.


One journeyed alone for years to come, hoping one day to find another one.

Through darkness and light one stumbled, searching and never finding.


“Im in a hole and I don’t feel whole!!”, screamed one, “I’m an unwholey one!”

Answer there came none.


One started to hate the one who sent one on this journey,

The one who existed before everything had begun.


As time passed and the journey continued one lost hope of being two

Asleep one dreamed of being something

Awake one was nothing


“Why do you torture me with these dreams of being something?”, sobbed one, “How can I be something if I am only one?”


Light left and one was in total darkness for many years,

Until one dark morning one stumbled upon the one whose journey was about to end and begin again.


“Why so glum chum?” asked the one whose journey was about to end and begin again,

“I am not one, I am nothing, and nothing is all there is,” mumbled one, “All these years I searched for another one to become two but now I am nothing and we can only become one.”


This puzzled the one whose journey was about to end and begin again.


“Who told you the purpose of this journey was to become two? Everything exists between nothing and one so what need do we have for two?” asked the one (oh you get the idea) “You began from nothing with everything. Nothing and everything exist within you but you fail to see the everything. That is why you dream of being something and while awake believe you are nothing.”


One cried and said “I just want this journey to end. I know it is you who existed before everything had begun. How else would you know my dreams? End this journey for me please”


The other one laughed and said, “OK, I will end this journey for you, but know one thing when the journey begins again. There is no purpose to the journey. Your pain for all these years is because you have aspired to be something greater than is possible. Take our encounter for example. We have not become two, we together are one. I am the nothing from which you came  and you alone are everything.”


The journey ended for one and the journey begins again.

© 2021 msutcliffe


Author's Note

msutcliffe
Any comments on the message I might be trying to get across?
Is there any consistency in the development?
(I wrote this very quickly for a therapy assignment and just wondering how my raw writing it)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on March 30, 2021
Last Updated on March 30, 2021
Tags: zen, nonsense, taoist, short

Author

msutcliffe
msutcliffe

Cape Town, Southern Suburbs, South Africa



About
From the U.k. Moved to Cape Town in 2020 Just looking to post some stuff and chat to some other writers! more..