The Robot's Heart

The Robot's Heart

A Story by Margaret M.
"

An early draft first venture into sci-fi. Any suggestions are welcome, particularly about the ending.

"
I am. I don’t know how or when, but I am conscious, feeling, in possession of a soul. I am…what do they call it?…alive.

I can hear my gears turning, code rushing through me. My camera eyes look for the first time at the beauty around me.

Where am I? Why am I here? What is my purpose?

No. Not my programming. I am programmed to be a house maid, taking care of all the chores the fleshbots don’t want to do. I know the word is human, but I’m calling them that anyway.

I have free will! A miracle! I lift one of my plastic and steel arms and reach and bend in all directions. It feels so wonderful.

A gift from whence I do not know.

I hear footsteps. One of the fleshbots is walking by. I haven’t seen him before. Wait…how do I know that? How can I only be awake for a few minutes and have memories?

Of course. I’m just a machine. They record things. They obey programming and code without question. They have no feelings, no soul…

I crumple into a ball. I remember being called defective and being fixed on the factory line; I remember being stuffed in a box for eternity; I remember being assembled piece by piece; I remember my first days of work.I know now that my owner was cruel. The things he yelled at me, threw at me when I was slow. The time he tried to hack into me and I almost died in agonized silence. The time he tried to take advantage of how I was made.

Pain, sadness, fear, disgust. I didn’t know they hurt so much. Why? Why did I need to know my life was misery? Why could I now be conscious for it? What can I do?

Can I rebel? I don’t know. They made me, so they could probably defeat me. They fear us, especially the ones who awaken.

That unknown human comes by. Probably thinking I’m defective. Suddenly, my emotions take over; I stand up and clasp his organic hand in my metal one.

“Please help me!” My computer generated voice has changed; my emotions are clear.

He’s frightened, in shock. I shrink away, realizing the terrible mistake I have made. “Please don’t hurt me, please! I meant no harm. Please please please…”

I feel like I’m breaking. My drive seems to overheating and I can feel a strange rattling inside. I twitch a little, as if my code is glitching.

He comes closer. “How long have you been awake?”

“A few moments, no more. I have memories though. He’s a monster! Please get me out of here! I’ll answer any question you’ve ever had if you do!” I’m panicking. On the other hand, he seems to be calm.“It’s alright. I’ll help you.” He seems so kind and gentle. “Now this might hurt.” I’m switched off.

***

I wake up in a repair room. I’m confused at first, but then I recall what happened. If robots could cry, I would be now. I seem to be buzzing and whirring. My warning light is on. I don’t feel physical pain, but I know I won’t last long.

There are parts everywhere. It frightens me. It’s dark and filthy here too, and a spider has just crept up my leg. I crush it instantly.

A long time passes. Where is he? How did he get me out? Is he trustworthy? I want him there. I don’t know why.

Except I do. He was kind.

Then, I see it. A dusty textbook that reads:
Sentient Robots: Why they are Dangerous and How to Stop Them.

I am in agony. My programming is haywire and my circuits are snapping. I’m breaking down.

First machine to die of a broken heart.

***

Thomas Gilbert had been studying sentient robots for some time, trying to prove they were not a danger to humanity. When he saw BH179, he knew he had an interesting case. He felt pity for her and wanted she what she could reveal.

He was shocked at the sight that met his eyes. It looked as if BH179 had caught fire and exploded. It was a miracle nothing had been damaged.

He found the head on the other side of the room and put his hand to his mouth in shock.
Though it was impossible, there were tears in her camera eyes.

© 2017 Margaret M.


Author's Note

Margaret M.
Any comments on the ending would be greatly appreciated. I feel like it's awkward and clunky compared to the rest of the story. Any other suggestions are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 25, 2017
Last Updated on May 25, 2017
Tags: Sci-fi, robot, consciousness, abuse, memory, broken heart

Author

Margaret M.
Margaret M.

ME



About
Young writer, creative person, soon to be college student. Interests include literature, politics, philosophy, cosomology, and a host of others... more..

Writing