Fullmetal Alchemist: Bond

Fullmetal Alchemist: Bond

A Story by Ashley Campbell
"

A short Fullmetal Alchemist fanfic I wrote to go with a favorite song of mine by Evanescence.

"

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any of these characters. All are copyright by the amazing Hiromu Arakawa.

 

"Al!Alphonse stop...don't do this!"Ed yelled as he watched his brother fling open the door and begin to run out into the street..farther and farther away he ran.Ed slunk to the floor,"how could I....why did I..."he ask himself.Only a moment ago they had been argueing...he remembered it was his own fault..it was always his fault..always.He rested his head against the wall and he almost cried,God in heaven knew he wanted to.He couldn't believe he let himself say something like that to Al.Ed looked up at the window above him to see the snow was falling again outside to recover the already existing snow that blanketed the streets.He didn't think twice about grabbing a heavier coat,he just ran out and tried his best to follow his younger brother's snow captured footprints.

He followed the footsteps outside of town,tears now freely streamed down his face."How could I have been so stupid."He scolded himself,"no one probably knows where he is or if he's still even ali...."this thought sent a knife straight to where he knew his heart used to be,what if what he had said really caused his brother to take his own life.Ed cried harder at the thought,Al hadn't spoken a word to him...not even to tell him he hated him.He knew it was resting on his lips,why hadn't he told him?Why hadn't he hit him with everything at once?

Ed ran as fast as his limbs would carry him,he could barely see through the snow that licked with needle-like whips at his face.He ran and ran until his legs went numb,he'd fall on his face,stand up,and run again as long as he could.He wouldn't allow himself to entertain any thought that tried to harass him...he couldn't handle that right now...he even tried to block out his brother...in every form he had seen.His heart pounded so hard and loud Ed was sure that it would bust his ear drums soon,but he couldn't stop until he found his brother and knew he was alright and that,some how,he would forgive him.

 

He neared a town and knew he would find Izume here,he faintly smiled as he neared her house.He would explain to her quickly why he was out in the snow and he knew she would rush to find him.His whole body shook from his tears and the cold air that wrapped itself around him and found it's way into any and every unsecured cloth so it might find it's way to the flesh that forced blood throughout the body.He rounded a corner and forced open the gate to his beloved teacher's house,but his plan failed as he reached her door.Just as he stepped up to the door his body collapsed,various parts of him slamming against the door.He stared down at the concrete step and listened as Izume called to her husband and ran to the door.When the door opened his named gasped from her mouth,"what are you doing out here?!"She demanded.Ed looked up at her,his eyes wide,face paled,and the tears still streaming down his face."I was a fool...I was a fool and he left and now he's gone and I have to find him."A whisper seemed to be the only source of a voice that his raw throat would give him."Wha- what are you talking about?"She asked but didn't give a chance to answer,"get him..he's freezing to death."Izume said quickly to her husband who stood beside her.He picked up Ed,considering his legs refused to move,and carried him to a room and placed him in a bed. The moment his aching body touched the soft sheets he drifted into a painful sleep.Izume sat by his bed side in case he decided to try and let himself go,but as she did so she bit back the tears that provoked her eyes.He lay there and didn't stop crying...she had never seen him cry this much...whatever was bothering him seemed to be tearing him up from the inside and she could see the war that he fought from his eyes the moment she opened the door."I'm sorry....I'm so sorry."She heard him joke as he slept,his hand grasping the bedding and a more painful expression claiming his features.He said this repeatedly and not once did he stop himself from crying.She saw him dieing from the inside out and there wasn't a thing she could do to help him and she couldn't help being there with him and knowing this.Izume stood and left the room,but she did come and check up on him from time to time.

 

Ed woke up late that night,he had finally gotten to where he didn't cry which was a good thing.He layed there in the silence for a moment or two,listening for Izume or anyone else who might still be awake,after a few more moments he stood up and quickly but quietly got dressed.He clutched the door knob in one hand and lightly pressed the bedroom door open until he could get himself out and into the hall.Silently he pushed the door closed until it made a soft click then turned and went to the front door of the house.He wiggled the knob a little and smiled to himself as the lock didn't trigger and complicate things for him.He performed the same procedure and when the door was finally closed he left his hand on the knob for a moment,"sorry Izume."He said as he turn away from the house and toward the cold white sparkling snow.Ed took off at a run but as his foot got caught under a tree root that had risen from the ground.He landed face first and layed there as the door opened."Edward,what are you doing out here?"Izume scolded more than asked."I've got to find him. If he hurts himself I'll never be able to forgive myself."He answered softly.She stepped in,to grab a coat he supposed,"don't."He asked.She turned and looked at him,"why not?You certainly can't find him by yourself."Ed only looked at her,his face still pale but his eyes clearly shown of determination.Izume sighed,"fine....but you better,for the sake of your own safty,you better let me know you both are alright once you find him."He nodded,"promise."Was his response as she glanced at him before closing the door.

 

Again his body hurt and his heart pounded in his ears,his head throbbed but he didn't let it get to him.He abruptly stopped at the door to an abandon warehouse and a feeling pestered him until he decided to go in.As the door opened his face grew paler as he saw the suit of armor that held his beloved brother...and the hand pressed firmly against the blood seal that bound the soul to the armor.

"Please don't."He muttered just loud enough for his younger brother to hear him.His hand jerked and in that moment Ed was so sick he wanted to puke because he knew that armor would return to it's physical state.A state of no importance,a cold and lifeless decoration that used to sit in the basement of the two story house he,his mother,and brother used to call home."God...please don't take him."He whispered ever so softly.His brother turned his head to look at him,"why not?You said you wanted me to die didn't you?"Ed bit his lip.He knew that was the way he had taken his words.He had been angry about something stupid he had spit the words like acid."LEAVE!GET!GO ON!JUST GET AWAY FROM ME!"The acid hit his brother's heart and desolved it quickly."I...I didn't mean it,Al.I swear."Ed said softly.He never thought it was possible to fear this much,his brother's finger still on the seal.

"just...please...don't do this.Alphonse...I'm begging you...please don't."Ed said taking a step closer."STAY!I don't want you near me."Was the younger one's response."And why not...you said you wanted me to leave,you'd be be alone without me here wouldn't you?That's what you wanted isn't it brother?Well,why are you so desperately asking me not to do it?"He didn't look back at his brother.Ed looked down at the floor,"that's not what I meant,Alphonse."He glanced at him for only a minute," I would never ask you to do this.."Ed answered.He saw his brother's hand gently pull back from the seal."And...I understand why you ran.....you couldn't tell me you hated me...so...you ran instead...you ran from me...tell me now though.I need to hear it.....I deserve to hear it."

Al's hand dropped to his side,"no...I won't...I would never."He replied."I don't hate you....you don't deserve to hear it either."There was a moment of silence before the younger one spoke again,"besides....all we have is each other....so...if we hate one another then we have nothing at all."Though his brother's words made sense,Ed couldn't fight the guilt that pried at him now."It suprizes me.I've lied to you so many times.."Now it was his turn to suffer the way his brother had for the many hours he had been away from Ed.

Al shook his head,"you may have lied to me...but you never lied because you wanted to."A spark of anger hit Ed,he had traveled all this way to comfort his brother and now it was Al that spoke to him softly,"...why did you think I would want you to kill yourself?If all we have is each other then why would want to leave me here alone?"He wanted to yell it,but he didn't want to hurt his brother again....God knew he couldn't handle that..not now..not ever again.Al was silence...not a sound came from the armor.

"When I got here...I started to think....and when I thought you weren't comming...that maybe you really didn't care anymore...I starting wanting to see mom again.I was gonna do it...but...I couldn't....I guess deep down I knew you would come but I figured you'd yell at me for making you run all this way to find me...and I didn't.......I didn't want to burden you anymore...so...I was gonna do it....just for you."Inside the armor the soul cried aloud and and then he slumped to the floor.As he did Ed ran over to his side and placed a hand on his cold metalic shoulder,if it were to be a boy sitting beside him he would have grabbed him and held him as he cried...but this would have to do...he only hoped his brother would know the real response."Losing you...my brother...would hurt me more than the worst form of death..."He whispered.The brothers sat there together,the light of the silvery moon caressing the brothers in a soft light.A light that stayed pure and strong...just like the bond between the two brothers....

© 2008 Ashley Campbell


Author's Note

Ashley Campbell
It's been a while since I've done this so if you find any mistakes, please feel free to point them out^_^

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Normally I don't like to read fanfiction because sometimes they can ruin the characters for me, but this one was amazing. Fullmetal Alchemist was the first manga I ever read and is one of my favorite mangas. Great job! Saw a couple of spelling errors and I think you missed a word or two in some places, but who doesn't do these things from time to time. Definitely would read more of your work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I thought that this was a great story! I love FMA! It's totally awesome! Anyways, your story was great! I did see one mistake- I think that your story needs more spaces in the paragraphs- that's all! But anyways, the plot of the story was fantastic! The story was well written, wonderfully detailed, and greatly descriptive! What a great story!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2008
Last Updated on May 3, 2008

Author

Ashley Campbell
Ashley Campbell

TN



About
Currently I am twenty and am just starting my life as an adult, a writer, and a woman. Throughout my gallery you'll find dark poetry, fan fictions, and short stories, if you read and happen to review .. more..

Writing
Lost Lost

A Poem by Ashley Campbell