Anticipation

Anticipation

A Story by Sasha Evans

    I unconsciously fiddled with the loose string on my jacket. I had never noticed it until that moment. It was a small thread; barely noticeable from its place right next to the zipper.
    “Are you okay?” I jumped at the voice next to me. I gave him an encouraging smile and nodded.
    “Wonderful,” I murmured. The line shifted. I felt my heart kick start. Slow at first, working its way up to the speed and ferocity of a jackhammer. I hiccupped; the unexpected function causing me to lurch forward. I was forced to take a step to keep from falling flat on my face.
    “Whoa, easy. I didn’t know you were this excited about it. I thought you’d be nervous.” The hand holding my arm was warm and secure. I felt myself relax, a little bit, but my heart began to beat, if possible, faster. I felt faint. I smiled up at him once again and nodded.
    “I’m fine, really.”  I shifted my weight and looked ahead. It was almost time. The deciding point. I’d finally learn the meaning behind this madness.
    My chest was aching from the constant pulsing of my beating heart. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a bruise.
    I glanced longingly behind me. The doors were there. The exit. I could make a mad dash and get away before anyone gave a second thought. But, I couldn’t. Glancing back beside me, I realized I was stuck. I couldn’t leave him behind.
    I took a deep breath and faced forward. We were next. It was time to figure out where we stand. I let my eyes wander over to him once more. He was totally at ease. Acting as if there wasn’t a care in the world. How could he be that calm? I was practically dying from the abnormal heart rhythm and the constant urge to run.
    The line moved again and jostled my thoughts loose from their downward spiral to doom. I bit my lip and stood straight. It was time to face the music.
    I shifted, preparing for the forward step. He shifted too, putting himself in between me and those before me. I was astonished. Speechless. It had to be a mistake. A misunderstanding. I moved again, but he once again blocked me from view. I felt my cheeks flush red. The heat burnt my cheeks. I felt the muscles go taut. I wanted to disappear. I couldn’t believe it. It really was…
    “Two, please.”
            Our first date.

© 2010 Sasha Evans


Author's Note

Sasha Evans
I have never been on a date before, but I'd imagine this is what it would be like. The suspense, it's killing me.

Critique encouraged!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 29, 2010
Last Updated on June 29, 2010
Tags: first date, suspense, movies

Author

Sasha Evans
Sasha Evans

WV



About
Books are my passion, writing is my life. Practice makes perfect, yet I aim for less. My confidence reigns me in when I pull away at a gallop. I encourage your words of wisdom, so that I may apply the.. more..

Writing