Jack And Jill

Jack And Jill

A Story by Alexander Rodgers
"

My version of the fairy tale Jack And Jill

"

Jack and Jill

 

Jack and Jill were cousins. They longed for adventure and livelihood in their formally dull lives. Always they searched for the next quest, the next challenge. Final challenges never end well. One warm sunny day Jack’s mouth fell to the ground as he gaped at the mountainous green mound before them,

‘’Aw boy, look at that!’’ He exclaimed.

‘’What is that?’’ Jill pointed at the top of the hill.

Sitting and glowing in the sun was a pail of water. Jack was thirsty, so very thirsty. No water was held by them, and none would be unless they returned home. The day was young, as their ambition. Water never looked so appetizing. They could use it for so many activities, not to mention getting rid of their monstrous thirst. Cooling off didn’t seem like a bad idea either.

Excitement tackled Jack and he allowed his legs to carry him as fast as they could muster. Hesitant, Jill thought it would be safe to follow.

Steeper was the hill that fooled the mind’s eye. Starting off running, his legs threatened to buckle, but he leaned forward just in time. Their legs pumped and pumped, breath stinging, wishing for the top. Jack didn’t pout or give up, he forced on. Jill was a bit behind, but catching up. Near the top he bent forward and crawled, the steep grass prickling his fingers. He dragged himself, nearer now. He tossed his adolescent body over, he made it! He lay staring at the sky above, allowing his breathing to dampen.

His cousin made it up a moment after, her hair a matted mess, eyes tired and worn from the long climb. Questions seemed useless, the pail stood in front of them, the water reflecting sun-rays, looking delicious. Jack contemplated drinking now, or bringing it back down the hill first. He snatched the pail, and Jill gave a contemptuous glare.

‘’It’s better to bring it down, no worries, we can make it.’’ He said.

Balancing the pail between hands, he carefully made his way down, his footing that of a duck, wailing along. A patch of mud slid underneath his shoe, one hand let go of the pail and his arm maddeningly flailed. Jill’s breath stopped short in her heart, it mustn’t be! She screamed.

The pail went first, tumbling down the hill going front over end, water splashing out in all directions like an explosion, soaking a direct path down. Jack went down then, holding his arms in to protect himself. He rolled and rolled, shoulders striking the wet grass continuously. When the bottom hit, he yelped.

Jill panicked. Oh no, he’s hurt I just know he is! She thought.

She knew there was no going down peacefully, so she too groped her arms in and rolled down the way her cousin did. Sliding is the more appropriate term, the wet grass steered her in the path of Jack. The slide created a breeze that felt cool on the skin, and suddenly the hill wasn’t scary any longer.

She ended up beside Jack. They shared a glance, eyes full of joy. Wasn’t that fun!

And they spent the remainder of the afternoon that way, running up the hill, and falling back down. To know that it was only a mile from Jack’s home, how naïve they have been. The hill was magical, had mystery, the only adventure for them.

© 2013 Alexander Rodgers


Author's Note

Alexander Rodgers
Eh, just a little fun I had one day. Tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i like it, pictured the whole thing in my head. Oh the innocence of childhood :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alexander Rodgers

10 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it lol, it was my first attempt at a children's story
Haha this is entertaining…made me laugh a lot =) I could see you had a little fun writing this and it's fun for people to read…awesome job as always =D

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Silhouette

10 Years Ago

I would definitely act the same way...don't lose your work, amigo lol.
Alexander Rodgers

10 Years Ago

I won't :) I will make absolutely sure!
Silhouette

10 Years Ago

You better! =)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

359 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 1, 2013
Last Updated on May 1, 2013
Tags: Childrens Story, Fun, Jack And Jill, Light Hearted, Goofey, Funny

Author

Alexander Rodgers
Alexander Rodgers

Roscoe, IL



About
I always found a deep satisfaction and theriputic sense in writing; my work allows me to imagine what simply can not be in reality. Aside from writing, I'm a musician, and an overall laid back fellow... more..

Writing