Memories

Memories

A Story by hyancynthstofeedthysoul
"

It is spring and I have seen many in my 73 plus years. I am reminded of my Paw. He lived full and happy life, Then he was moved to town and could only sit and watch the cars pass by his window. He literally dried up until like the last leaf he drifted to

"

I remember so many things that comprised my Paw's life. First and foremost in importance was his family. Although he suffered from what Maw called "His delicate condition". He never succombed to it on certain days. He remained sober on birthdays, holidays. and times when he was with us kids. Many times we kids would find him sleeping along side of the lane that led fom the bar to home. We would gently help him to his feet and help him stagger home. Maw would be waiting with the old double wash tub full of water. We would help get him in and Maw would bathe him. We would then help him to bed. It was never mentioned among us. My Paw was a giant  among men, even though he was short of stature. Everyone in our town spoke well of him.

I remember in the ''forties''  when the Ohio River would flood. He never hesitated He would walk to the Licking River and row his old johnboat down to Newport and go from house to house and rescue the people who were in their houses surrounded by the flood.

He then would cajole his drinking buddies to haul them to our house. After they were fed and bedded down he would have the following conversation with my Maw.

"Sue you know what you need to do tomorrow."

"Yes Jess I know."

And come morning they were fed and Paw was on his way to do his duty, Then Maw set out to do hers.

She went door to door begging neighbors to take the in. I remember her words "it could be you, you know."

"But Sue we don't know these people. Why should we take them in?"

Her answer answer never changed. "Jess will be home with another load. I have to find a place for these."

She never mentioned that Paw was always the first to show up when catastrophe struck them. He repaired their fences when their livestock got out. He was there with hammer and saw when they had need of repairs. He never accepted pay in those instances.There was no need everyone knew and they always made room.

That is how I remember my Paw. Not as the frail old man who sat and held his last grandson.

The last words I heard him speak were." Faith come and take him. I have held my last grandchild and I am ready to go."

Three days later he was gone. He has been missed.

I refuse to sit on the porch and watch the cars.

 

© 2009 hyancynthstofeedthysoul


Author's Note

hyancynthstofeedthysoul
This is not what I intended to write. I intended to tell you of how my Paw would take us kids and that old double tub to the berry patch, but this is what my muse gave so here it is. Maybe some other it will let me tell that story, maybe not. So many stories, so little time.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a special tribute to your Paw. In his body he had a beautiful heart and soul. Reminds me of my Dad, especially, today on his birthday. They loved their family and friends. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


great story... and inspiration not to let the grass grow under ones feet

Posted 14 Years Ago


I have memories of Jesse Dean, my grandfather, and I am very thanksful for his son, my father, Franklin Dean, who raised me. I hope I never sit and watch the cars, or whatever the may be at that time in the future. I will try to be a part of life, and never set and watch life happen without me.

Thanks Dad.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

485 Views
3 Reviews
Added on May 26, 2009

Author

hyancynthstofeedthysoul
hyancynthstofeedthysoul

middletown, OH



About
A long and eventful life I have lived one. While stationed in Germany I visited every country in free Europe and the British Isles. In the U.S. 48 of the 50 only missed Alaska and Hawaii. Have worked .. more..

Writing