Chapter 8, Lunch and Laughter

Chapter 8, Lunch and Laughter

A Chapter by Naomi Bloom
"

The eighth chapter of "Wilde Horses Couldn't Stop Me!"

"

XV


“My heart is breaking for that girl,” Kida said to Milo, “I felt the same way when my own mother and father died.”


“Me too,” Milo felt a lump in his throat, “I guess it’s just something everyone had to suffer through.  Some have to suffer earlier, which makes it so much worse…”



XVI


Beatrice had nearly finished mourning her friend and her lost time.  She sat on her bed, hugging her knees to her chest.  Sometimes it could be so soothing to be alone and to think about nothing.  Soak in the silence.  She almost always dealt with her problems alone.  Beatrice heard a knock at the door.  Was it Milo, or Kida?  Her body stiffened as she opened the door.  


It was Milo.  He gave her a hug.  Beatrice was too nervous for it to be comforting, but she appreciated the fact that he cared.  She had never hugged him in the years she had known him.  It was an intoxicating feeling.  And his scent was just as intoxicating.  She tried to relax and not think about her feelings for Milo.  


“I’m so sorry again.  Are you feeling any better?”


“A lot better.  It helps to be alone for a while.”


Then she remembered her promise.


“Milo, I’m sorry.  I didn’t pretend to be asleep as long as you told me to.  In the room, I mean.  But I didn’t say anything beyond ‘Hello’ and ‘Milo isn’t here with me.’  Please forgive me.”


“Oh, don’t worry,” Milo said, “Were you talking to Kida?”


“It sounded like her.”


“Yes, she was looking for me this morning,” then his face grew serious, “Just remember not to tell anyone how I woke you up.  That… well, you know what happened…”


His face was turning red, “Just say you woke up on your own.  Please promise.”


“Why?”


Milo was shaking and talking faster than he usually did.  He seemed stressed out.


“Oh, Beatrice.  You must have figured this out by now!” then he almost whispered, “She’s…. my wife.”


The girl gave Milo a look of pity.


“If she knew that I kissed you, our marriage would be ruined!  I’m sorry your first days in Atlantis must be spent this way, but it is for a greater good.  Can you please promise?”


“Yes, I do.  But you should tell her.  She seems very nice.”


“I don’t think that will work.  She’s was already mad at me.”


Beatrice put her hands on her hips and scowled, “The longer you put off telling the truth the bigger your lie will become.  Honesty is always the best policy.”


“Okay, okay, cliché machine!” Milo started smiling again, “You’re starting to sound like my grandfather.”


“Good,” she said, “If I remember correctly, he was a brilliant archeologist.  And that’s what I plan to be someday.”


“Really?” his face lit up, “I didn’t know that.  That’s wonderful!  Where are you studying?”


“Indiana.”


They talked for quite a while in Beatrice’s room.  Milo gave her some advice on careers in archeology.  Their chat was long enough to make up for the years they knew each other without having more than a few conversations.  Beatrice was still making up a lot of things, which she knew was hypocritical.  She hated herself for it, but it was so good to finally be friends with Milo.


“This is nice,” Milo said, “Why didn’t we ever do this at the Smithsonian?”


“Well, if you want the truth…” Beatrice said, “I was too shy to talk to you.”


“You’re kidding,” Milo laughed, “I was shy too.”


They both laughed for a long time.  It was funny and sad all at once.  


Kida came in, “What’s so funny?”


“We were both too shy to talk to each other at the museum!” Milo chuckled.  


Kida laughed, but mostly because it seemed utterly ridiculous to her.  In Atlantis, as long as one wasn’t talking to an outsider, everyone was friendly.  Everyone knew everyone.  And no one was shy.  It didn’t seem very useful to be shy, either.  So many things about the surface world seemed completely unnecessary.  


“Well, I hate to break up your conversation, but lunch will be served in a few minutes.”


“Right,” Milo got up, “Beatrice, their food is great, but it takes some getting used to.  Are you up to it?”


“I think so.  I’m excited!”



XVII


Milo, Kida, a few royal officials and several healers from the hospital sat down to enjoy dinner together.  The healer who worked on Beatrice shook her hand.


“I don’t know if you remember me but I’m Kiranakash Wimbush, the healer who cared for you for the last few weeks although Milo was certainly doing that as well.”


She turned to Milo and smiled wryly.


“Oh no, not really,” Milo tried to be modest.


Beatrice started eating her food.  It smelled like seafood.  And… tasted like lobster, only more exotic.  It was delicious.  The whole aroma reminded her of the beaches and ports in Washington.  Her and her mom had often played on the beach and watched the fishing boats go by long ago when she was a child.  She loved the sea.  


“This is delicious!” Beatrice smiled, “Better than any seafood I ate back home in Washington!”


“I’m pleased that you enjoy it!” Kida said.


“Anyway, Kiranakash; thank you for taking care of me.”


“You’re more than welcome.”


“And you too, Milo.  I really appreciate it.”


Milo smiled, “No problem.”


“Everyone here has been so nice to me here.  But whatever woke me up, I truly indebted to the person who caused it.”


She flashed Milo a feeble smile.


They continued enjoying their delicious feast.  Eventually Kiran decided to make an announcement.  


“We healers have been discussing your condition all morning, Beatrice, and we have finally decided on a course of action.”


Beatrice nodded.


“You must remain here for ten more days, so you may recover and then you may decide whether or not to remain in Atlantis.  You are welcome to live here.”


“Really?” her eyes lit up.  She looked over to Milo and Kida.  Milo grinned and nodded.  Kida nodded as well but she looked annoyed.


“I would love that,” the surface woman said.


“But try to take it easy for a few days,” Kiran chuckled.


“Okay,” she agreed.



© 2012 Naomi Bloom


Author's Note

Naomi Bloom
I found a piece of classical music that is absolutely beautiful and it sounds similar to “The Crystal Chamber” in the Atlantis soundtrack. It is called “O Sanctissima” by Robert Prizeman, written for his boy choir “Libera”.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7LdYt6vV_M

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
Added on December 29, 2012
Last Updated on December 29, 2012
Tags: fan fiction, lost empire, atlantis, disney, wilde, horses, beatrice, milo thatch, beatrice wilde, kida, kidagakash, books, merging, worlds, washington, smithsonian, love, betrayal, decisions, forbid


Author

Naomi Bloom
Naomi Bloom

Ontario, Canada



About
An amateur writer of poems, short stories and other types of writing. I recently graduated from university and I am trying to figure out what to do with my life. Victorian England, name meanings, be.. more..

Writing
Drowning Drowning

A Poem by Naomi Bloom