Chapter 2, Wherefore Art Thou, Joey?

Chapter 2, Wherefore Art Thou, Joey?

A Chapter by Naomi Bloom
"

The second chapter of the high school romance between Yugi and Joey.

"

The next day at school, Joey winked at Yugi every time they caught each other’s eye.  In the middle of English class, Tea whispered to Tristan, “What mischief are they planning?”


The teacher spoke up and said, “Now let’s continue our reading of Shakespeare’s ‘Romeo and Juliet.’  I believe we got to the balcony scene last class.”


The young teacher flipped his brown tresses and patrolled the class with his eyes.  One hand shot up.  “Yes Joey?”


“Can I be Romeo and can Yugi be Juliet?”


Yugi looked mortified, “Joey!” he whispered.


“Um, I guess a boy could play that part.  Are you sure?” the English teacher looked worried.


“He is definitely sure,” Joey lied for him.


“Uh, okay, let’s begin, shall we?” the teacher sighed, “Act II, Scene 2.”


Joey’s grin subsided and was replaced by a sneer, “He jests at scars that never felt a wound,” his face changed again, to sheer ecstasy, “But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?”


He continued the famous monologue with the perfect passion and expression, nearly standing up and walking toward Yugi.  He seemed like a completely different person.  His Brooklyn accent had become almost British.  He read like a Shakespearian actor, with razor sharp diction and perfect movement and facial expression.  The people close to him were hit by his constantly spewing spit.


“It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.

Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,

Who is already sick and pale with grief,

That thou, her maid, art far more fair than she.

Be not her maid since she is envious.

Her vestal livery is but sick and green,

And none but fools do wear it. Cast it off!

It is my lady. Oh, it is my love.

Oh, that she knew she were!

She speaks, yet she says nothing. What of that?

Her eye discourses. I will answer it.�"

I am too bold. 'Tis not to me she speaks.

Two of the fairest stars in all the heaven,

Having some business, do entreat her eyes

To twinkle in their spheres till they return.

What if her eyes were there, they in her head?

The brightness of her cheek would shame those stars

As daylight doth a lamp.”


Cold sweat ran down Yugi’s neck.


“Her eye in heaven

Would through the airy region stream so bright

That birds would sing and think it were not night.

See how she leans her cheek upon her hand.”


It seemed as if Joey was on the verge of fervent tears.


“Oh, that I were a glove upon that hand that I might touch that cheek!”


There was a long and unbearable silence.


“Yugi?” the teacher said to the shaking duelist, “Yugi!  It’s your turn.”


“Oh, right!  Sorry!” he looked at the book, “Ay me!”


Joey turned away from Yugi.  “She speaks!”


He continued delicately:


“O, speak again, bright angel! For thou art

As glorious to this night, being o'er my head,

As is a wingèd messenger of heaven

Unto the white, upturnèd, wondering eyes

Of mortals that fall back to gaze on him

When he bestrides the lazy-puffing clouds

And sails upon the bosom of the air.”


Yugi’s face had gone completely white at that point, but he had to stop embarrassing himself, so he came in right away, with very little expression, although he was trying hard to act as well as Joey, if Joey was indeed acting:


“O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?

Deny thy father and refuse thy name.

Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,

And I’ll no longer be a Capulet.”


They continued a little longer until the bell rang and the class was over.  It seemed like an eternity to Yugi.  Such a long, embarrassing class.  And why was Joey acting so strange today?  He’d never seen such amazing acting, at school or at a theatre.  Why didn’t Joey tell him about his secret talent?  And why was he suddenly revealing it now, the day after they made arrangements to go to that restaurant?  


“This is weirder than Marik,” Yugi thought to himself.


“I can hear that, Binky Boy!” Marik yelled in Yugi’s inner mind.  Yugi jumped in surprise.


“Stop scaring me, Marik!  Why are you in town anyway?”


“Evil Council Meeting.”


“Oh, I see.  And why are you telling me about it?”


“Oh.  Oops!”  Marik was embarrassed, “Forget what I said.  I just like the shopping here.”


“Whatever you say, Marik!”  Yugi smiled.


Marik left, mumbling to himself, “If only his name was Steve, then he’d be the perfect mind slave!  Bahahamuhahahabahamuhaha!”


Yugi shook his head in disgust.  



© 2013 Naomi Bloom


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
Added on January 2, 2013
Last Updated on January 2, 2013
Tags: chapter, joey wheeler, yugi moto, jounouchi, high school, domino, japan, romance, fan fiction, yugioh, yu-gi-oh, anime, manga, cartoon, animation, city, romeo, juliet, shakespeare, teenager, love


Author

Naomi Bloom
Naomi Bloom

Ontario, Canada



About
An amateur writer of poems, short stories and other types of writing. I recently graduated from university and I am trying to figure out what to do with my life. Victorian England, name meanings, be.. more..

Writing
Drowning Drowning

A Poem by Naomi Bloom