The Polar Bear Express

The Polar Bear Express

A Story by Naomi Bloom
"

A flash fiction about one of my favourite vacations and places; The Polar Bear Express, a train which goes from Cochrane, Ontario to Moosonee, Ontario.

"

The steel rails scrape by as a massive shuttle of people takes me North, inching closer to the Canadian shield.  


I leave the cemetery of burgundy chairs, unable to sit still.  I wander through the winding corridors, going from car to car on the enormous train.  I begin to run, knowing my destination: the top floor.  I climb the three-story, carpeted stairs to the room in which I will spend the entire trip.  


Fifties’-style booths and tables are pushed together in the top floor of the car.  The roof is split into three rectangles that look like the Canadian flag, two made of glass and one black block for support.  The glass wraps around the room and through it I see a stark beauty that changes every hour.  


Maple trees turn into pine trees, rivers turn into lakes, fields turn into mountains, green turns white.  And at night it changes even more.  The sun goes down and plunges us into mystery.


“What could be out there”? we wonder as we play cards in the lit car.


I press my nose up to the glass, searching for some indication of life, but I can’t see anything past the pitch black glass.  The darkness frightens me, but at the same time excites me, lifts my spirit.  This train must look like a giant candle from outside, I think to myself.

© 2013 Naomi Bloom


Author's Note

Naomi Bloom
A flash fiction about one of my favourite vacations and places; The Polar Bear Express, a train which goes from Cochrane, Ontario to Moosonee, Ontario.

The town of Moosonee is mostly Cree and very far north within Ontario. The culture there was very different from southern Ontario. It was a really interesting trip, but my favourite part was the train ride. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
Added on January 12, 2013
Last Updated on January 12, 2013
Tags: polar bear express, north, northern ontario, canada, cochrane, moosonee, train, steam, rail, travel, flash fiction, short story, writer, writing, aboriginal, cree, moose cree, adventure, trip, journey

Author

Naomi Bloom
Naomi Bloom

Ontario, Canada



About
An amateur writer of poems, short stories and other types of writing. I recently graduated from university and I am trying to figure out what to do with my life. Victorian England, name meanings, be.. more..

Writing
Drowning Drowning

A Poem by Naomi Bloom