Yvette

Yvette

A Chapter by Lei
"

An introduction to our “professional” government worker, a little rich lady named Yvette.

"
Yvette
(One week ago)

Yvette was tall, dark-haired, and dressed in tight, expensive clothing that made her round in all the right places. Her eyes lingered momentarily on her manicured nails before she pulled up the official analog she’d been preparing.
A man in white stood above her like a stiff tower, his shoulders hunched close to the mane of graying brown hair dangling from the nape of his neck. In his large, rough hands was a notepad and pencil. He quickly jotted down notes as he read through the analog.
Yvette twirled a strand of hair around her finger, waiting for approval. Her ruby earrings caught the light of the computer screen and cast a little red shine on her skin.
“The President will be pleased with the update. Washington is huge, and there could be plenty of...leftovers scuttling around. I’ll request that more troops are deployed soon.” The man furrowed his brow, and the way he said “scuttle” reminded Yvette of a crab. He always seemed so rigid on the outside, as if he really were wearing a shell to protect him from the elements. Yvette fought down a burst of bubbly laughter as she thought of Gregory, her assistant, as a crab man. Greg the shifty crab dude.
Yvette flung the immature thoughts from her mind, pursing her lips into a thin line. She folded her hands on her lap, delicately, feeling sheepish. Yvette was better than that. Yvette was professional. Yvette was serious. Seriously sexy.
She almost laughed again when Gregory spoke, finishing his scroll through the analog. “Great work this time around. I will leave you to it.” His words sounded almost robotic, as if he’d gone over them in his head a hundred times. “Do not forget today’s appointments.”
Yvette nodded, her signal for Greg to exit. He was such a blunt man, yet it was hard not to think about him. She found that odd, since she already had a boyfriend, and a handsome one at that. He was a little jerky at times, but all guys could be jerks. She was sure of that.
Returning her attention to her work, she grabbed a pair of special tech gloves at her desk. The moment they touched her skin they blared to life, heavy and solid but powerful. She glanced up at the rows of holographic screen displays along the wall, and with simple gestures moved them around to her liking. She donned a headset and began to prepare for a conference meeting. All she had to do was meet ‘em, greet ‘em, feed ‘em (with lies), and defeat ‘em. That’s what the President taught her, in all of his insanity.
But nobody could dominate him. He simply would not allow himself to be impeached. He had too many connections, too many weapons, and such wealth that even the Russians, which had dominated several countries in the past fifty years, hesitated to speak with him. To America, there was no democracy anymore. There was only President Reagan, and President Reagan was a murderer, President Reagan was evil, President Reagan could not be stopped.
Yvette paused, her gloved hands shaking, trembling the screen she was logged into. She didn’t realize how scared she really was of the President, but she agreed with his opinion. There really was no way to “cure” overpopulation. The only way there would be less people on Earth is if they die. And at the moment, killing off even half of the current population would be a chore.
Yvette opted on checking up with the Scissors. It was her job, after all, to give updates and keep them in check. Her old friend, Dr. Harps, had been the one to design those beauties. Now, as she viewed them through Invisi-Drone cameras connected to the screens, she almost drooled at how smooth and operable they were. She had been interested in robotics once, had even made the diagram for an animatronic back in her younger years. She thought she might even still have it.
But that animatronic was nothing, wasn’t even a speck on the face of the Earth, in comparison to Dr. Harp’s designs. Yvette was fixated on admiring the Scissors’ movement and flexibility in their blades when a notification startled her out of the trance. She reached for it and a new screen popped up.
Another update?

Year: 2138

Day: 105

Period: Extermination

Population of U.S.: 4,093,526,109

Current Selections: New York City, New York; Seattle, Washington; Austin, Texas; Denver, Colorado

Troop Count: 593,247

Scissors Devastated: 194

Information Complete.

Yvette blinked, staring placidly at the news. The damaged Scissors count flashed red, and Yvette dug her nails into her palm, attempting to steady her nerves. But her heart was pounding. Someone had found a way to impair the Scissors, to fight them off. A simpleton, a commoner, someone undeserving of that kind of power. Yvette tightened her jaw and prepared to hack the system and delete the update before someone else found out. The increase in destroyed Scissors had influxed in the past week.
That shouldn’t even be possible.
Sweeping her dark hair back over her shoulders, Yvette jumped with alarm when the door to the room suddenly slammed open.
“What is it now?” Gregory asked in that same dull voice, and shook his head with disappointment when he saw what had happened. “You’re supposed to watch them. Figure out who’s doing this and target them. If the President hears you’re failing again, he’ll cut you off.”
His voice hadn’t changed in tone yet sounded sterner all the same. Yvette frowned.
Cut me off? He already threatened to do that once after the Revolt. But…
Her train of thought arrived at its destination. She nodded to Gregory and returned to her screens, beads of sweat forming on her hairline. Her hands and neck were sweating too, a condition that occurred when she was near a breakdown. Her hyperhidrosis was on overdrive again.
He’ll kill me. He’ll kill me he’ll kill me he’ll kill me he’ll kill me.
She couldn’t think of anything else.


© 2019 Lei


Author's Note

Lei
Let me know if you like this character! More are on their way, as well as some more juicy bits. ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
Added on February 6, 2019
Last Updated on February 6, 2019
Tags: Androids, future, dystopian, dystopia


Author

Lei
Lei

About
Hello there! I’ve been writing stories and poems for as long as I can remember. Over the years I’ve definitely improved, and I’ve been hoping to gain some interest in my work! In th.. more..

Writing
On Edge On Edge

A Book by Lei