Dented Can

Dented Can

A Poem by Alexis

Some people may say...that I am only a dented can, pushed to the back of the shelf in a grocery store. 
Some people may say..I'm that mislabeled can of corn, and when you open it, to your disgust, you find beans. 
Some people may say...I'm that can that gets knocked off the shelf, and nobody takes a second look at.
I could be lying there on the floor, my contents spilled everywhere, and all people do is walk around me and pretend it never happened. 
And I'm sorry...
But I am all of the above.
Because I may say... 
That i'm that dented can of corn that got rejected by society.
I am that dented  can of corn, that got pushed to the back of the shelf because no one wanted me.
Just because i'm flawed.
And I'm flawed in such a way, that people think "maybe the stuff on the inside...isn't that great"
Because, there's just something different about it.
And I may say...
That I am that mislabeled can of corn that you open up and find beans.
And you HATE beans! You HATE beans with all of your heart!
You thought you were getting corn. You thought you were getting something good...something you loved...Something you thought you could handle...That went perfectly with every meal.
But No.
You're stuck with beans now.
And when you open the can and take the contents out, You're not as careful with them as you thought you would be.
You put it in the pan,
Maybe under cook them, 
Maybe overcook them,
They're not as good anymore.
They weren't what you wanted in the first place, 
so you just mistreat them.
Or better yet...
Give them to a person that may actually want them! 
Because they can handle them...they like them better than you do...You never wanted them anyways.
So give them to someone else.
And I may say...
That I am that dented can of corn that gets knocked off the shelf,
 because someone was so careless,
someone just wanted to get to something else
and didn't bother thinking of the other things that are siting there.
you're to busy reaching what you want, and of course,
I get knocked down in the process.
When you want something that's a little bit difficult to get, it doesn't matter what you have to do to get to it, right?!
It doesn't matter if you have to knock things down.
Once you knock them down there's so much pressure put on that can...when it hits the floor....
EVERYTHING GOES EVERYWHERE!
And you walk around it because, "It never happened, right?"
"It wasn't you. It wasn't your fault...You got what you wanted so you leave.
And when other people see it they step around it.
They go to another aisle.
They don't want any part of the disaster. 
And I'm sorry...
But you can't avoid it forever...
Because someone has to notice and someone's going to tell the manager about everything that went wrong.
AND SOMEBODY HAS TO CLEAN IT UP BEFORE IT GETS EVERYWHERE! BEFORE IT GETS OUT OF CONTROL!
And when they call someone to clean it up...they didn't even want to do it in the first place, but they have to because it's there job.
And I'm sorry that it's your job to clean up after me, clean up after somebody's recklessness. 
 
I'm just a dented can of corn, pushed to the back of the shelf in a grocery store. 
I'm just that mislabeled can of corn, that when you open it, you're disappointed of what you found.
I'm that can of corn that gets so recklessly pushed off, to help someone else. 
I'm just that can of corn rejected by society. 
And I'm sorry.
There's no changing it.
Once the can is dented...it can no longer be perfect, but the contents are still okay...maybe a little shaken up, but there's nothing wrong with it. Just because i'm not what you wanted, doesn't mean you can just disregard me. Just because someone wasn't careful with me, doesn't mean you can't be happy with me.
Just because I'm pushed to the back of the shelf doesn't mean I'm not there. 
I AM HUMAN...or in this case... a can of corn... each can is a little bit different. There's different varieties, different sizes and shapes, different brands. But we are all the same thing.
But then there's some people that do care, 
That take pity on the dented can that no one will ever want.
Even thought it may be a bit damaged, they pop the top carefully, spill the contents into a pot, and cook them till they are just right.
And that's okay,
because I guess that means there is somebody out there that actually does care.
But unfortunately in most cases, I'm still the can of corn, rejected by society
and i'm sorry.
  

© 2016 Alexis


Author's Note

Alexis
Sorry if grammar is a little bit off, I was just ranting

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
Added on March 26, 2016
Last Updated on March 26, 2016

Author

Alexis
Alexis

Khartoum , Khartoum , Sudan



About
Hi I'm Hfia and as it obvious I'm an Arab so I don't know much of English . I write poetry in English but it is not that good and I'm trying to improve it so please... umm leave a nice comment more..

Writing
Fallen Boy Fallen Boy

A Poem by Alexis